HS 2.8L TGV 110 Project - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
dannykim8379
danny kim

HS 2.8L TGV 110 Project

Selling a project Defender 110 I was rebuilding.

There are 80% of parts already purchased. The HS 2.8L powerstroke is in my possession imported from brazil. The intake horn has been re-routed, the timing belt, intercooler, and custom exhaust mount all bought. The tranny is from M&D engineering imported from the UK. It is a R380 with 300tdi bellhousing with Td5 gears, TD5 layshaft, TD5 pinions, and a 242mm heavy duty clutch. The front and rear axles are rebuild with ARB air lockers and Great Basin Rovers super heavy duty axles. Chassis has been reinforced with welded 1/4'' frame sliders and a heavy duty low profile welded rear crossmember intergrated hitch. The chassis is being prepped for a powder coating or galvanizing. Suspension, 10'' Fox shocks on the front and 14'' on the rear with long travel shock mounts and RoverTym HD rear links.

The truck comes with a Series IIa title and firewall which has been retro fitted to the Defender windshield and doors. This truck needs $12,000 for completion by a mechanic with additional and appropriate parts or $8000 DIY. Worth about 55K-65K when finished.

SUMMARY: Fitted HS 2.8L TGV, 000,000 miles, fully locked, heavyduty axles, TD5 transmission. Titled Series for no hassle at Emissions. Hate to sell but moving to Thailand. Alot of work and research was put into this truck. It is definitley a good investment in America if you choose to sell it or keep it for yourself. Email for photos. Serious buyers only. $36,000 or best offer. I am located in Portland, OR. You can email at dannykim8379@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00850.JPG
Views:	1537
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	2391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00791.JPG
Views:	916
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	2395  

Name:	DSC00792.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2396   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00854.JPG
Views:	744
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	2397  

Name:	Copy of edited jamie.JPG
Views:	1417
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2398  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

Boy that engine that Jim Cheney originally bought is never going to see any miles, no-one seems to be able to make a go of that one...maybe it's cursed....to Bad Danny.....pretty expensive series truck though
Old January 30th, 2005, 10:58 AM
dannykim8379
danny kim

Cool

Curse? I hope not. God! You never know what spirits or demons those brazilians bring out of the rainforest. Maybe a demon is bottled up in one of those cyclinders. I would be cranky too if I was compressed 19.5/1. I guess it is expensive if you live in Canada. Yousers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Maybe he'd be done with it if it didnt take 8 months to arrive after it was paid for

110 chassis would be perfect for my next project, but I've got to move this year, so I'm at least a year out. Bummer.

Pretty expensive series truck though
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

to bad a little more due dilegence wasn't taken during the shipping arrangements by the original seller ...you might have the little beasty yourself....
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:19 AM
dannykim8379
danny kim

Oh, I still have Las Beasty. This is just a client's truck with another 2.8l. He is the one going to Thailand. I am just selling it for him. I guess I didn't make that clear in the ad. hmmmm. I still have my little humm-a-dinger. It is in the back ground of the picture posted. But quiet it is sleeping....hopefully for not too long. THCK!....THCK!..weTHCK!eeTHCK!eTHCK!TeHCeK! PST! THCK!THCK!THCK!THCK!THCK!

Yeah punctuality. Shit has too be tight when you are building a truck on a time line. That's why I ragged that bobopic guy on the HS28000tdi group. I felt bad about doing that but he was asking for it...moron. Ooops! I mean Norom!

How's that 2.8L running Gord? I heard you can almost beat recent Discos off the line. Is that true? I think that is pretty an impressive allegation for a TDI. I am comtemplating the purchase of a Allard intercooler and fabbing my own water jet. Do you think the TVG needs it with the power yours gets.

Jim C, Yeah naked rovers don't like sit for a long time in your garage. Maybe next time around.

DK
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Andrew-B-Merkin
Andrew Merkin
97 D-90

Is it just the rolling frame and power train that is for sale or is there a 110 body that goes with it as well?
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:53 PM
dannykim8379
danny kim

It comes with all of the body parts minus the roof and rear quarter windows.
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:46 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdi Lurker
to bad a little more due dilegence wasn't taken during the shipping arrangements by the original seller ...you might have the little beasty yourself....

Has anyone recieved anything from that particular vendor in a reasonable amount of time? I am not suprised to hear you complain Gord. Cahill told me you and he had problems. But I am afraid to do business with him as everyone says promises are made and not kept.

So anyone want to come out of the closet and tell us about your experience with this aforementioned vendor? The prices quoted sound almost to good to be true.

This 110 project sounds a little vague, seems like you need a complete list of all items for sale if it is not an assembled vehicle.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:59 AM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

Tell you what JP and all.....

I have lots to say about how i was treated by the vendor in question......if you want to email me off this forum i will gladly fill you in......it's not a pretty sight and i don't want to make people sick here

in the mean time as JP indicates....."But I am afraid to do business with him as everyone says promises are made and not kept." ............he has good instincts...

he'll getcha
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:26 AM
dannykim8379
danny kim

Yeah I can say a little something about reliablity. First off receiving a 2.8L from Brasil by sea is like taking a vacation to Rio de Janerio but using a boat to get there and back in two weeks. Antiquated, unless you are shipping a 20ft-40ft container. Itfyou want the engine on time, within reason, get it air freighted. The first engine I shipped by sea was a big mistake it took five months that was due to a recall International had make up for. most commonly it takes three to four months. The second one I shipped by air. It got here in less than a month. It only costs $300.00-$400.00 more but is way more reliable and worth it for the piece of mind. If you are going to spend $4000.00-$5000.00 for and engine expect to spend at least $3000.00-$5500.00 just to install it DIY. Makes $400.00 sound like chump change when you factor in punctuality

On the advertisement, I think it on the bottom it reads serious buyer only or something vague like that.

Follow-up Post:

I prefer not too and I am not surprised based on my attempts to do business with you last summer. Mr. Cahill has has been a reasonable business man in all of our transactions, seller to buyer providing as much information as possible. God, this is like highschool economics. I'm outta here. Abrigato. Ciao.
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thanks for the information. I am keeping track of this subject.

I assume you are speaking of doing business with TdiLurker not me. I do not recall ever dealing with you.

I have access to parts and methods that would install these engines for a lot less $ then what you quoted. But never encountered a reliable source for the engine itself at the price you quote.

JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykim8379
Yeah I can say a little something about reliablity. First off receiving a 2.8L from Brasil by sea is like taking a vacation to Rio de Janerio but using a boat to get there and back in two weeks. Antiquated, unless you are shipping a 20ft-40ft container. Itfyou want the engine on time, within reason, get it air freighted. The first engine I shipped by sea was a big mistake it took five months that was due to a recall International had make up for. most commonly it takes three to four months. The second one I shipped by air. It got here in less than a month. It only costs $300.00-$400.00 more but is way more reliable and worth it for the piece of mind. If you are going to spend $4000.00-$5000.00 for and engine expect to spend at least $3000.00-$5500.00 just to install it DIY. Makes $400.00 sound like chump change when you factor in punctuality

On the advertisement, I think it on the bottom it reads serious buyer only or something vague like that.

Follow-up Post:

I prefer not too and I am not surprised based on my attempts to do business with you last summer. Mr. Cahill has has been a reasonable business man in all of our transactions, seller to buyer providing as much information as possible. God, this is like highschool economics. I'm outta here. Abrigato. Ciao.

Old February 1st, 2005, 12:50 PM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

JP.....until you have installed one of these engine's.......don't even go to the assumption "you can do it cheaper"...as this does not reflect well on you......

Danny's install cost's seem more in line to me.....unless of course you are will to work for nothing
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdi Lurker
JP.....until you have installed one of these engine's.......don't even go to the assumption "you can do it cheaper"...as this does not reflect well on you......

Danny's install cost's seem more in line to me.....unless of course you are will to work for nothing

Dude get a clue. I am Pendy. And you are an obnoxious wannabe.

Danny quoted a 3000 to 5500 DIY cost to install the engine. So I assume he is quoting parts not labor.

As far as installing one of the beasts. Been there done that. My first over two years before you got yours on the slow boat from Brazil. Fact is I tried to get you and SC a relationship with M&D but he screwed it up. And since I have not seen your installation after asking for pictures in the past I can only assume you are ashamed to show them. Thing is you should be kissing my a$$ but you do not even know it. I am just here shaking the tree to see if any fruit will fall, not fruitcakes.

As far as quoting a labor cost for doing the work. Every project is different and has different needs. So labor cost is relative. Of course a Pro should get more then a Hack.

If you wanna kiss and make up thats fine. Well looks like you do not.

JP

Old February 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

how can one person be so full of crap........oh i forgot you are pendy........i rest my case
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Now boys
Do not forget it is me you are talking down.do not fight amoung yourselves.
Lest get this dirty laundry out on the line for all to see.
First things first Gord,shipping the first engine to you was by sea (LCL container)Yhat means it was in a container like general freight.That container made so many stops that I had no control over.It was in Halifax Montreal New York and I do not know any of the other stops it made. Lesson learned on that was arrival at Christmas time into North America can be tricky. Lets see about slow on other aspects Mr.Land it took you a year to put it in your truck.As for you needing spare parts well a year went by before you needed even diesel for the engine let alone spare glow plugs ETC.
I know you were ill and you were selling your mobile home in this time frame. NAW I will not lower myself to post your bad mouthing of people in this group.
Now Jim let me see I do recall you said you were going to the middle east and did not want to store the engine in your apartment while protecting your country and asked me to find a new buyer for the engine.I did that and you bought your self a 300 TDI engine.The shipping delay by International
cost them dearly.(Or it cost the supplier of the valves) They flew people to Europe and England to replace the valves in the container loads that went out of the factory.
Lets see on the shipment to Danny by sea it seems that someone in the shipping lines lost the container for 2 READ TWO months. I am still working on finding out where it got stuck.
So now we have a learning curve done.As the 2 distributors that I had in North America could not sell engines (OH yes 1 did not even bother to return the paperwork I had drawn up for him).My company alone look after the sales this way any screwups made are made by me.
So you ask how do I stop screwups.
1 Flying the engines into the USA is the best way to go.Cost runs from 800 to 1200.00 depending on your location.I think Danny Kim will state something to that effect.Shipping can take a week to 3 weeks depending on the workload in Brazil,if they are loading containers for Europe Our orders get put on the back burner.I just saw the shipping date change by 2 weeks on some shipments that will be in the US next week.
2 Parts for down the road.I got the size of orders from the parts distribution center changed.It was 1500.00 USD read above I was not buying 1500.00 of parts to get some glow plugs and filters.
Now a person can order an engine with an uptime kit of parts.
This is not what you have to buy but it is what some people wanted.
Please note Cylinder heads,pistons,rings are not something you need for at least 250,000 miles of hard work and poor treatment of the engine.

Complete set of gaskets
Set of oil /water temp sending units
Spare fuel pump
Spare oil pump
Spare water pump
Oil cooler
Solenoid (fuel shutoff)
2 fuel filters
2 oil filters
Set of hoses
Timing belt
Can supply spare starter and alternator also if wanted.(the parts for them
are available in North America for rebuilding.

Now let it be known that pricing will be 2 tier one for orders with engines and one for engines not sold by OBW Canada LTD. NAW I am not like that there will be one tier.

Oh yes Jim any time you want an engine let me know.
Here are the guide lines.
Request engine in either Land Rover or ford Format.
1 I get a production date from Vanessa (remember it can change by 2 to 3 weeks as Ford is #1 there)
2 At the same time you can order a parts/spares package. (Example Water pump 70.00 USD.)

3 Upon payment in full received the engine is ordered. I will keep you updated to any changes in the delivery status via Email.

4 Shipment via air freight only unless you want to use a broker to bring them into the USA .A broker will keep tabs on the shipment for you. Cost of broker is 150.00 to 200.00

5 Engine arrives at your local International airport you pay your duties and install or have installed your new diesel.

Now Gentlemen you have to realize that bad mouthing people in a public form is a NO-NO. So please go and kiss and make up as I think you are all OK people just unhappy in some part of your lives.

Happy trails
Stephen Cahill
OBW Canada LTD.

P.S. All emails received to date are stored on DVD.I bet there are some that people do not want posted.
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm only wading in here to ensure my name is clear.

I did in fact have to get rid of my paid-for 2.8 because the Army had a different timeline for me than I had originally expected. I was gone much of June, July, and August, though I'm pleased to report I didnt go to Iraq. When I got to the point I had another few stable months (and Danny's motor wasnt in yet), I bought the 300Tdi and drove on with my project.

I only became really disappointed I learned that Danny finally only got the motor in November. Now I hear there was a valve issue that delayed it - water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

I have no interest assailing characters or being a part of this melee, so I'm bowing out!
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:22 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I have no interest assailing characters or being a part of this melee, so I'm bowing out!
Probably the smartest one of the bunch. Sorry I could not keep myself from shaking things up here. I will leave it alone now.

JP

Except to make one last request. Danny did state that SC was "a reasonable man to do buisiness with." So SC why don't you have other happy customers weigh in here. If they can show us you have this worked out maybe this will help some D-90 source members find engines for their projects. But I still have my reservations. Maybe you and your customers can persuade us/me here.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:00 AM
OBW_Canada
Stephen Cahill
D-90 Source Vendor

Hello to the D-90 user group.
Anyone that would like references to my company's selling of the HS 2.8 TGV engine can contact me and I will have them and have references contact them. It is not like we have sold hunderds of these engines to the Land Rover world. I do think Jim will be the first to tell you that suppliers sometimes make mistakes.(Shipping the wrong rad or not including all the parts a buyer ordered.) Remember those Jim??
We are under something a similar cloud in as much as I order they ship.Sometimes they do not ship as fast as they planned on doing.We look bad.I had a shipment going to Danny Kim and the shipper said 4 weeks,we are wondering where it sat for 2 extra months.(not at my house)
But the good thing is that everyone that has ordered an engine has received it. We even had one engine flown into Alberta Canada as a replacement in the bad valve time. International foot the bill.

As for people taking the time to join a user group to post wonderful things about getting an engine shipped to them some are too busy.Some will take the time to share the information on the installation they did and the change in their trucks.
Some of you may not know the mess container shipments worldwide have been in the past year or so. The only reason I know is the mail we get in lists from shipping companies we work with.

So in closing since I have been drawn into this I might as well say anyone wanting pricing on the engines and or spart parts drop me a line.
We sell engines not kits.
We can supply spare parts at a price that knocks the socks off the others.
Want a set of Unimog axles to give you that extra lift let me know.
Want a road legal Santana ask me how.
Need a 2005 dodge truck in Europe we do that also.
Something new want to hook the 2.8 up to a North American transmission ask me about that.

I had to get a plug in Jim you know me.

Stephen Cahill
Old British Wheels Canada LTD.
cahillsj@gmail.com
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Okay if you are going to get a plug in then I may have some more questions.

What exactly happened in the bad valve issue? I have heard mixed results. What did International do about it IYO?

What is your Warranty on the engines as you sell them? I seem to recall no warrantee offered, by you. How can you sell a new product an offer no warrantee? The other guys offer a warrantee with their new engine.

How quickly can you ship replacement parts? Please provide an example of a real customer request and delivery time, cost. Example water pump needed, vehicle down.

Jim Pendleton

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags