Help Needed for New Enthusiast - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Smile Help Needed for New Enthusiast

I am currently looking for a Defender 90. I have always loved the truck and its time I own one. I recently transferred out of my 335i lease because I only put 3k miles a year on any car and it made no sense. I live in Manhattan and will use the car primarily for weekend trips out to long island. I figure that not only is a Defender 90 a great vehicle but considering the miles and that it will be garage kept should turn out to be a reasonable investment. Im not looking to make money but rather not get killed on resale down the road, if i ever decide to sell it. So here is where i need some assistance and any help is greatly appreciated. I have been searching ebay and many used car sites for Defenders and the price range is all over the place. If someone wouldnt mind lending their expertise in my search and let me bounce some potential d-90's of them, that would be great. I also would like some assistance in terms of things to watch out for and any general help would be nice. I am a car enthusiast but these trucks are not in my realm of knowledge. I have helped dozens of friends track down new and used cars and i really enjoy it. Im sure there are plenty of D-90 source members that could lend me a hand.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

There are a ton of guys in the New York area... Try and located the local LR club. They should be able to point you in the right area, and give you the tour of things to look out for.

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Have to decide what you want and how much you have to spend.. you're looking at a price range between 15-40k generally.

5speed or Auto [difference between a 94/95 or 97]
Soft top or Station Wagon
Condition (cosmetic, modded or not, # of miles, etc..)
Color

Narrow down what you want to spend and what you're looking for, then you can start looking for the one that fits your bill best.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Thanks for the feedback.

Im looking to spend no more than 35k
soft top
color yellow, black, white in that order
miles 50-90k range

What is the best place to find D-90's. Ebay, Cars.com/Autotrader, D-90 Source, Copley (really overpriced from what i see)

Are there other options out there?
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Also www.parkcity4x4classics.com, www.landroverexchange.com, etc.. 35k should get you what you want... do you want 5spd or auto? Auto is only available in the 1997 models, and costs a premium over the 94/95s ...
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

I have always driven a stick but wouldnt settle for auto. Any feedback on mechanical differences in terms of reliablity or any known problems with either.
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a nice, rust free 1994 or 1995. 35k would get you a perfect one, but 25k will get you a really nice one. Also, don't be afraid of miles. More miles is generally not a bad thing as the really low miles trucks often suffer from misuse and certainly something with >100k is going to be cheaper.
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Get in touch with Erich at British Rover. I got mine from them back in July and was very pleased...

www.britrover.com

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

hey cliff, I live and work here in NYC and the defender is the car to get. also my dad's friend is selling his defender.
pm if interested
steve
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

In your price range you'll be able to find a very nice '95 5-spd ST. If you like manual transmissions then you'll be fine with a 5-spd D90. Just remember it won't feel the same as a 335i 6-spd. There's a lot of slop in the driveline. You feel less of it in an auto. I've had both - they both have their upsides and downsides. If it were my daily driver I'd rather go back to a '97 with an auto. Otherwise I'm fine with my '95 with a 5-spd.

Be sure if you don't necessarily want a stock truck that you find out how much height clearance you'll have in the garage you plan to keep it in. Mine has aftermarket springs with maybe 1-1.5" of lift with stock size tires and it barely fits under my standard garage door opening.

The easiest places have been listed here already,

Copley
Land Rover Exchange
Brit Rover
Land Rovers For Sale
Bear Valley
Hunting Ridge

Bear Valley has a service for locating what you want. I've used them before. I'm sure Copley will do the same. Also watch this site and the Land Rover dealers for them. You'll be able to find exactly what you're looking for pretty easily.
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Steve Mez

What are the specs on the d90 for sale.
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Hi Cliff
Fellow New Yorker here. I started my search for a D90 about a year ago. I took my time and did a little research here and other places. I can tell you that it wasn't easy finding the "right" defender. There are alot of them in the market and the good ones are snapped up rather quickly. The more specific you can be, the better in my opinion. Your search will be easier.

I used to live in NYC and coincidentally I had a BMW that I used to go out to Long Island. I sold it for a D90

From a NYC to Long Island perspective I would lean towards an automatic, just because of all the stop and go traffic you are going to encounter. From what I can gather from this thread, your D90 won't be a "trail rig" so I wouldn't look at the modded or lifted ones on the market - might be more difficult to find a garage in NYC due to height constrictions. Also, a D90 that hasn't been offroaded (if you can find one of those) will be a better investment down the road.

If you find a good one, invest in new stainless steel oil cooler lines, probably the first thing you should change out for safety reasons. Good luck with the search!
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 97 year model command the most amount of money. Something to keep in mind from a collection stand point.
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mez
hey cliff, I live and work here in NYC and the defender is the car to get. also my dad's friend is selling his defender.
pm if interested
steve
Its the best car for NYC.

- Those pot holes don't stand a chance (New York, NY. Named twice, paved once).
- You never really go to fast, so you don't get that loud whipping noise like you do on the highway.
- Girls love it.
- It sits up higher than everything else so you can see traffic 2 blocks ahead.
- You can hop the curb to park or budge in line to go through the tunnel.
- People get scared of it and let you in line.
- Looks absured (really looks weird if you drive around with jerry cans on the rack and a winch on the front).
- You will get laid.

Where in NY do you live?
(auto might be nice in the city, unless you are a diehard stick driver. I get sick of my stick after making it 5 blocks while sitting in traffic for 2 hours)
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I'm not sure but I think White may be the easiest to find. For some reason, I see fewer yellow ones and even fewer black ones, but I could be mistaken...

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Its the best car for NYC.

- You will get laid.
Dang, you could have saved yourself a lot of typing and just said that. Covers about 99% of the reasons men do anything
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
The best car for NYC is a cab ... as far as driving out to LI on weekends, make sure you've done your research and learn how to keep your Defender from overheating (via regular and proper maintenance). Ton of links on that subject.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

I think SW is better off in the NYC, sure you get a of staring in the city or love letter from random dude says how much they love your truck.
Mine had a overheat issue but its not a difficult thing to fix.
One more reason to get a defender is you won't get a speeding ticket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles