Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
have a 94 want a 97

Just throwing this out there to see what Input I get. I have a blueST 1994 d-90 with 86k in very good condition. I would perfer an automatic so I'm thinking of getting a 97. I HATE to let it go because you can't get 1997 soft top in blue. It seems just to expensive to do a auto swap. My d-90 is stock and I would be looking for the same. VERY little off road use, and in great condition. Obviously I would have to come up with some cash for the 97. I'm just testing the waters....
RIch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I suspect it might not be too expensive to do an auto swap - maybe 3-4k if you do it cleverly. I would guess that a sly person could make disco parts work. You're not terribly far from BW Overland, I bet Jesse would have some ideas for you. It actually seems like a good opportunity to ditch the lt77.

I bet you'll have to cough up several g's to trade up to 97 anyway, plus all the hassle of selling and buying - and you'd still have _your_ truck.

my advice is always worth what you pay for it. full refund if I mislead you
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:42 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks Jim,
Who is BW Overland? Do you have a number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

http://www.bwoverland.com/ they are good guys, they did Dave Marchands 2.8 TDI conversion.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Someone with a 97 is going to want some cash to make that deal, unless you get a beat down 97. I did the auto swap and sourced my parts from a wrecked disco for ~$1500 total including console. I've seen some conversions that use a long auto shifter that comes up through the 5 speed boot that look pretty slick, saves some $$ too.

Tis
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I've got a transmission out of a Disco with 94,000 miles I would sell to you shipped for $700 if you are interested.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'd say do the trans swap. Why give up a truck you know inside and out just over something like a trans?

You could get a reman'd unit from one of two places I know. Eriksson Industries in CT, or Phoenix , my trans is from Eriksson. I don't know much about phoenix. Not sure if they'll let you have one without a core for swap.

Or just get one from a wrecked disco I. You will just need the 4HP22. Not sure how the bell housing mates up or anything like that. But it has been done. The info is on our site: scroll down to Conversion to Auto

The console won't be so easy. I've seen pics of retorfitted shifters to the manual trans console. But I know crazy George at RDs has the auto consoles in stock. They are $$ though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

well if you really want an auto you could probably get it done for basically nothing. I would happily trade the ZF 22HD out of my LWB for your manual. Its got more miles on it but it is the HD model and it has had all the services done.

In all honesty given the cost of used RR transmission I think you might actually make money off of a deal to convert to auto if you did the work yourself.

I might also know of a ZF out of an 89 rr that could be had for cheap and since it was parted it is complete with flex plate and shifter assembly etc.

The only way it would be spendy would be if you needed the factory style center console.

Ron
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:52 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think this may get moved over to the tech section, I also have a flywheel off of Dave M's old 4.0 that you would need to do this.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Ron,
The problem is I can't do ANY OF this job myself. I just dont want any shop to do it you know. And I would perfer to use new or pref. remanufactured parts so I don't have any furture problems to pay for. If you ever think of anyone or come across a totaled 97 to part out and a good shop that could do the job let me know.
Thanks
Rich
I have the r380 in mine now with a new master cylinder on the clutch.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:52 AM
indelicato
jason indelicato

Let me know if you want to sell your '94 I'd be interested.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Not to be a punk Richard, but you _can_ do the whole job yourself - its just not that complex. Now if you dont have the time, thats one thing, but dont convince yourself that your skills are insufficient.

If you just cant do it yourself, I dont think B&W could be considered "any" shop. They seem top drawer. Hell, ECR is further away but I bet you be out less than 5-6g's to have them do the conversion, and they are expensive.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I'm sure B&W is a great shop. I'm going to contact them. I was just thinking of something closer. I have spoken to Land Rover west chester and they are thinking around 4-5k. I deal with Mike McCollum and Gary. They really are great guys to do business with and have treated me great. I was just thinking if I could fing the parts out of a 97 it would be cheaper.
Rich
I just don't have the tools or time to do a job like this. but thanks for the pep talk.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Anyone have any photos of what they have seen done with the shifter other then the 97 console?

Also....RON, send me an email when you get a chance so we can talk about what you have

Thanks
Rich
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Rich ask Charles Galpin (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/members/cgalpin-387.html) , he has an auto in his 94, it uses the manual shifter. The only drawbacks I saw were you could not tell if you were in drive or park or reverse, and when the T-case is in Low diff lock it hits the lever (we fixed this on the trail by taking the knob off of the t-case).
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:20 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Email Ashley Hunziker, he is in the Bios section. KC from NSO did his swap and used a tall aftermarket shifter thru the 5 speed boot that looked nice. I think Ashley sold his truck but may have some pictures of this mod.

Tis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags