Gaguing Interest: Immaculate 109 Wagon with Vortec V6 or a Cummins 4BT diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 25th, 2006, 06:48 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Andre Shoumatoff

Gaguing Interest: Immaculate 109 Wagon with Vortec V6 or a Cummins 4BT diesel

Hi guys,
I have sort of acquired a beautiful Rover 109 right hand drive (belongs to a good friend and he wants me to sell it for him) that has a Vortec V6, the famous Toyota H55F Land Cruiser 5 speed and matching dual offset transfer case (very strong). Then a Salsury rear, ARB in the rear, compressor and button ready for the front but no actual front locker. About a 2-3" lift or so, BFG Mud Terrain 33 x 9.5 x 15" in decent shape, white spoke steel rims. Color is British Racing green and white, very sharp and recently painted with almost no rust whatsoever...

As it is, it is a great Rover... It has some surface rust on the frame (that is no bad but could be in a few years), needs a clutch, and has mild electrical issues... So I was thinking I would sell it as-is to anyone interested, $25G as is.

Or, do a frame-off with either galvanized frame or powder coated, clean up interior items (headliner, paint dash, clean the actual interior etc), and install a Cummins 4BT into it, and a few other items to make it super clean and reliable. It of course would be a great biodiesel eco-expedition type vehicle as well... When it had the frame off it would have the fuel tank out so I could rig it for biodiesel / SVO conversion as well...

If I did the resto, I figure about $34G, 50% down, and it would be ready no later than Jan 1. Seeing if there is interest or comments or ideas from you guys. I am also going to post over on Mud before it maybe goes to Ebay. I do web sites for a living but work on trucks quite a bit including my own major project as we speak in a small shop I have outside of the Park City / Salt Lake City area of Utah. I have no major web projects scheduled for the next few months so I figured this would be a neat alternative for the time being...

Here is my current 55 project in regards to "qualifications" if it matters... In pages 5-6-7ish you will start seeing some of the major frame modifications and other neat things I have been doing so this Rover would be an easy project for me and would help me afford finishing the current project. This would be my third Cummins 4BT swap.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=92355

I can also provide references and links to more of my mechanical work and as this will be my only project, I can come close to guaranteeing that it will be ready Jan 1 which is a common problem with off-road shops and jobs of this caliber...

Best, Andre Shoumatoff

Follow-up Post:

Photos of rig here:
http://www.shoumatoffmedia.com/green_rover/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SM_Picture 023.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	7203  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Andre Shoumatoff

I am also curious as to what you guys think about pricing and such.. I know value goes down a little when you start mixing and matching but the beauty is it is somewhat modernized and both the 4BT and the Vortec V6 are killer power plants.. Again I am not 100% Rover, I have owned a few mostly Series but am primarily a Land Cruiser guy.. I wonder if you guys think the pricing is too out of line or possibly even too low? It is about the bare minimium I could pull it off for assuming someone wanted the turbo diesel and the resto...

Cheers,
Andre
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:29 AM
dieselcruiserhead
Andre Shoumatoff

Yes I that one on LRX but a 6AT and a 4BT are much different engines. The 6AT is indirect and more of an older style design, also with limited parts availability, wheeas the 4BT is TDI and is noticably more powerful and gets better mileage. Also I think the overall condition of this Rover is and will be noticably higher.. For what its worth thanks thoughb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

In a 109 conversion I think a 6AT is more desirable. silky six. weight distribution. torque curve. final product. The Vortec engine is prolly better to represent then the 4bt. Do not get me wrong I like the 4bt.

While you are under the impression that Land Rover owners and buyers pay big money for restored vehicles and improved drivetrains, its' really not the case in general. It does happen but most of the time the vehicle get modified by the owners after purchase. These people can be just as stingy as the Toyota crowd.

Good luck with it.
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
dieselcruiserhead
Andre Shoumatoff

Yes of course. I am actually not under the impression that people will pay big money, in fact I do not like that it already had the Vortec and the Toy 5 speed (even though it is a great combo) rather than the original drivetrain.. Unfortunately this one has been messed with and I do not 100% trust the previous work which is why I am willing to go through it to make sure there is none of that when it is done... For example, there is a slow battery drain somewhere. And instead of tracking it down they put in a master battery kill switch. I figure by the time I tracked it all down I could redo most of the wiring so why not just comletely and correctly 100% rewire it. Same with the frame. Last thing I want to sell is some halfassed vehicle so that is my impresion. I am in favor of the 4BTs in general, I have quite a bit of experience with both engines and the 6 is nice but again its an older style. It is a little smoother though, you are correct. Thanks again Jim. Andre aka "dieselcruiserhead"

Follow-up Post:

I have another option that someone presented.. I was thinking I might try to sell it locally and refurbished.. I guess do everything correct with the Vortec I imagine and sell it for close to what I was asking with the diesel but redone and correctly wired similar to what I proposed with the diesel. So that is an option too. It actually runs (a little rich but I can track this down) and drives very nicely with the V6 so I think that is a good idea...
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I'd vouch for your work either way.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM
leafsprung
Ike Goss
many

No offense intended here. That truck has some nice parts on it. However, aside from the tires and drivetrain, its a fairly typical british import. Glossy paint over rusting doors, goofy dash, arm chair upholstry, whitespoke rims and painted bumper and cappings. You can also tell that at one point the frame had a significant amount of corrosion damage as all the out riggers have been replaced and some of them not very well. Im betting the rear crossmember, footwells and t-posts have been replaced or need to be. Having wrenched on the one on lrx with the 6AT, I will tell you its FAR nicer than this one with a MUCH cleaner base vehicle with a much cleaner conversion, with much nicer equipment and a stronger drivetrain. It also has armor, a winch, nicer interior, soundproofing, disc brakes, power steering, nicer wiring, nicer cooling system, its left hand drive and actually has a hood prop instead of a stick. Its better in every aspect. It does have a few more dents. He hasnt been able to sell it for 25K, that should tell you about your chances of selling this one for 25K as is, or 35 with the 4bt swap.
-Regards
-Ike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
109, ac, diesel