Fully Restored Light Weight - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:20 AM
SeaCowboy
Logan Mitchell
1975 Series III MOD Light Weight

Fully Restored Light Weight

Hi Folks, I am looking for feedback and any interest in my first full restoration project that is finally nearing completion.
My plan is to import it into the States for resale. I have full documentation of the rebuild an can share more photos with anyone with a real interest.

1975 Series III Light Weight RHD
-made exclusively for British Ministry of Defense (and maybe Belgium or Netherlands) as an air-portable utility transport (they used to throw them out of airplanes with parachutes!) This one in particular was a radio vehicle, hence the cool antennae.
-very rare, with only 14,000 ever made. Most of these that survived military service have since been heavily modified for rock crawling, etc.
-almost finished with full rolling-chassis restoration, to an honest "better than new" level while retaining as much originality as possible.

After all of the blood, sweat, tears, and money that I have invested so far, and because of it is quite rare, I will be asking in the $40,000 range.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LW Before.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	98883   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC3845.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	98884  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC3945.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	98885  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Not having seen your build, I urge you to take a peak at this one that is for sale/ or sold for around $40k or less. This will give you an idea on the level of quality expected at $40k

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/09/05/...i-lightweight/
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
#1. You cannot expect to get back out of it all that you put in.
#2. It is a stripped down Series with a set of really bad tires. Doubt that you'll get any offers over 15 thousand, but what do I know. I would think that to command your price it would have to have some remarkable historic significance. 14,000 doesn't really equal rare. I would also expect there would be a high level of accuracy regarding the build, and not everything painted black as it appears to be.
#3. Good luck with the sale, hope you get what you are asking.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:48 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Yes, def a labor of love, also not considerably desirable this side of the pond unless, as Bill noted, it is has significance or it is a museum quality restoration. I have seen a few rolling around in a variety of conditions but I don't know how interested parties are going to respond to the black everything paint that has been applied. Good for rust prevention, not good for collectors.

GLWS, I think Bills estimates of value are a little closer to what you can expect stateside, although you might catch a bit more in your region. Enjoy the build, looks like a lot of care has gone into the restoration!
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:24 AM
SeaCowboy
Logan Mitchell

Thank you for the Feedback, keep it coming

Dear Gents,

Thank you for the quick responses, feedback, and advice.....I really do appreciate all of your thoughts.

I will be posting more photos of my LW as it nears completion, however, I forgot to state that the first pic was a "before" shot.

It is definitely being built to the level, or better, than the one in the "Bring your Trailer" article, so I will have to see what interest there is out there for that price range.

HISTORY: The very first thing I wanted to do was get the full military history, and contacted a gentleman in the UK about that. Unfortunately, I must have offended him when he came back with a cost of 150GBP and I asked about less expensive options, because now he doesn't answer my emails.

Does anyone know of other avenues to finding the military history?

(I am 100% certain that it was deployed in Foreign Service: While blowing out the cross members after sandblasting, I found pockets of very strange colored sand and dirt that certainly did not come from any of the British Isles!)

Thanks again, and please keep the comments coming!
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

If I were going to buy a LW and had $40K burning a hole in my pocket, it would of been this one (and I would of saved $10K-$15K).

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...221;)-Restored

Just to give you an idea on quality expectations as the other posters have mentioned.

Old July 18th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm going to make the assumption that the vehicle pictured is the before restoration image.
The market place for Ex mod vehicles is vibrant. However it is only in the under $15k range. The marketplace for something as pictured in the BAT article minimal.
Either keep it as your pride and joy or expect to wait several years to find a buyer.
Join the Exmod LR site for more information.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

Logan-
As you may or may not know, I built the tan Lightweight shown on BAT. It ended up selling for considerably less than $40k, like $15k less (and I was not in a position where I needed to sell it, so I had all the time in the world to find a suitable buyer). Turned out that I made about $2k on it. Far less than what I had originally expected, but all things considered, I think it was a fair price and it went to a loving home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCowboy View Post
It is definitely being built to the level, or better, than the one in the "Bring your Trailer" article...
That's a bold statement. I would love to see the detailed build pictures.

This is how mine turned out:

Here's another example of my detail work:
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Light weights have always been a favorite...your's was a work of art!
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Wow whoever got that for 25 is loving life. I remember trying to read all the pages of the build thread while whipping the drool off my shirt
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:01 AM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Wow whoever got that for 25 is loving life.
I would like to think so. I only sold it to the guy because he intends to keep it and not flip it when the market picks up.
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Jeff, I was literally spending more on lotto tickets when your LW was for sale what an qutstanding truck! It must have killed you to see it roll down the driveway fotr the last time..
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:27 AM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
It must have killed you to see it roll down the driveway fotr the last time..
It sure did, but...the kids always wanted to go for a ride in it, and it killed me that there was only one passenger seat with a seat belt. My wife wanted nothing to do with it. I needed something more family friendly. I shopped around for a D90, but ended up with a new J**p Rubicon X and I'm not looking back! The family loves it. I'm sure I'll own another Land Rover one day.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:35 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Sand

(I am 100% certain that it was deployed in Foreign Service: While blowing out the cross members after sandblasting, I found pockets of very strange colored sand and dirt that certainly did not come from any of the British Isles!)

Thanks again, and please keep the comments coming![/QUOTE]

FYI, there are 20+ colours of sand on the Isle of Wight, nice LW

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM
SeaCowboy
Logan Mitchell

Fantastic Rebuild

Jeff,
Thanks for sharing the great under body pics.....what a great motivational tool!
I will be posting more photos soon.
Original plan was to import through Houston, but I can deliver to any major port city.

Thanks again to all for the feedback....please pass the word around to whom ever might be interested.
Logan
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:23 PM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCowboy View Post
Thanks for sharing the great under body pics.....what a great motivational tool!
I will be posting more photos soon.
Yes, keep the pictures coming.

I had over 1000 hours of labor into mine to achieve that quality level, so that's what you have to look forward to!! Have fun!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
ht