Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:58 AM
DD90
DD
94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers View Post
As I understand it they are going after any vehicle which isn't rebuilt to original manufacture specifications. It was explained to me if more than 80% of the parts were new then it would be classed as a new vehicle even if the chassis was still the original.
How are they going to find people with these 110's????

Pull over people with 110's and inspect them?? Have a hotline for anonymous tips??

How will they know if it is 80%.......inspect them??

What's considered "new"........are upgrades axles, diffs, propshafts, wheels "new"??

My understanding is they are considered illegal primarily because the engine is not approved by the EPA.......but doesn't that make the D90's with 2.8 conversions and 300 tdi conversions illegal the SAME way?!?!

I understand the way they consider it in the UK but didn't think they would use those rules here.

Julian do you have more insight on all of this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers View Post
As I understand it they are going after any vehicle which isn't rebuilt to original manufacture specifications. It was explained to me if more than 80% of the parts were new then it would be classed as a new vehicle even if the chassis was still the original.
That's going to dampen a few peoples style eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

With a quick search I found this, http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/e...kbk.html#RASCV, If you scroll down to re-built vehicles you will find this.
" Rebuilt Vehicles
Rebuilt or reassembled vehicles are often utilized by motor vehicle thieves to conceal the identity of a stolen vehicle. Using the salvage parts of several stolen vehicles to rebuild the vehicle, the thief then represents the stolen vehicle as one rebuilt and is able to secure the proper documentation to legitimize the sale of the vehicle.
A second concern regarding rebuilt vehicles is the vehicle's level of safety provided to its occupants and its road worthiness. Law enforcement officials must take specific measures to ensure that stolen vehicles are not legitimately sold in the public market and that unsafe vehicles are not allowed to operate on the highways.
To prevent the sale of stolen vehicles, law enforcement personnel should examine all salvaged or rebuilt vehicles prior to issuing a title. Specially trained VIN examiners, generally at the state level, should closely scrutinize each such vehicle for signs of repair and the replacement of parts. The examination should include a review of the documentation to ensure all replacement parts are accounted for and that component part labels or inscriptions are intact and free of tampering. Any discrepancy should be thoroughly examined, including an examination of major component part labels and identifiers.
Rebuilt vehicles can offer an affordable alternative to individuals who otherwise could not purchase a vehicle, but unscrupulous or incompetent rebuilders may shortcut or overlook critical safety components. For this reason, all rebuilt vehicles should be inspected for safety compliance. A check of all vehicle safety equipment should be performed to assure compliance with applicable statutory requirements.
Through a systematic examination at the time of registration and title, the potential for fraud is significantly reduced while, simultaneously, unsafe vehicles are detected.
Specially Constructed Vehicles
Specially constructed vehicles, “street rods,” and other assembled vehicles pose many of the same problems as rebuilt vehicles. A specially constructed vehicle generally is not visually recognizable as being produced by a particular manufacturer, while the assembled vehicle is distinguishable because its composition is by a well-known manufacturer of commercially produced vehicles.
When the owner of a specially constructed or assembled vehicle requests a title or registration, law enforcement and vehicle titling authorities should ensure that the vehicle is examined for safety compliance. Such vehicles should be required to meet and be in compliance with all state equipment laws prior to final inspection and the issuance of a title.
A particular problem involves vehicles fitted with oversize tires or “jacked up” by other means so that they are extremely high on the road and their centers of gravity have been drastically altered. Such alterations can impair the handling dynamics of the vehicle and lead to component failure and dangerous traffic crashes.
When such vehicles slip through the registration and titling process, street-level law enforcement officers are obligated to enforce state laws and local ordinances regarding such standards as bumper height requirements. Law enforcement agencies should have written policies encouraging their officers to enforce these requirements."

I am not a Lawyer, but they way it looks to me, if you are doing a re-build yourself, as long as you are re-building with non-stolen parts on a non-stolen vin you are pretty good. The States are interested in making sure that the vehicle is not stolen, it is safe, and meets states safety standards. Importation is another cup of tea. That is Federal and follows those particular guidelines and rules.

------ Follow up post added August 17th, 2011 07:42 AM ------

Found this information the Virginia code,

"Replica vehicle" means every vehicle of a type required to be registered under this title not fully constructed by a licensed manufacturer but either constructed or assembled from components. Such components may be from a single vehicle, multiple vehicles, a kit, parts, or fabricated components. The kit may be made up of "major components" as defined in 46.2-1600, a full body, or a full chassis, or a combination of these parts. The vehicle shall resemble a vehicle of distinctive name, line-make, model, or type as produced by a licensed manufacturer or manufacturer no longer in business and is not a reconstructed or specially constructed vehicle as herein defined.

And this:

If the vehicle is a replica built on a manufactured chassis or a chassis from another vehicle, a VIN usually will not have to be assigned by DMV because the Manufacturer's Certificate (or Statement) of Origin (MCO or MSO) will provide an acceptable VIN for the vehicle. A replica vehicle built on the chassis from another vehicle may use the VIN from the existing chassis, as long as the new vehicle is a replica of the vehicle from which the chassis came. However, DMV must assign a VIN to any replica vehicle that otherwise does not have one, or if the replica does not appear to be the vehicle from which the chassis came.

Seems to me if you declare what you have done, re-built your truck, to your States DMV you are OK with the State.
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Yeah, who hasn't experienced or heard of an accident involving 110 Defender shoddily built from stolen parts. Happens every day, but thankfully we can all sleep a little easier due to the legions of specially trained Vin agents, aka Vinjas.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM
waggoner5
Gary Waggoner
1965 custom

The big problem is that if the Gov,, either federal or state can take your truck if they even SUSPECT it not being legal, then its up to you to prove it is legit, after you pay the bond etc. of course. Scary times out there for the legit custom vehicle builders. My 69 Camaro has a hand built sub frame, late model custom everything, and a 69 VIN. I guess its saving grace is that it was built here, for our market. Maybe stretching a D90 that was built for our market is the way to go keeping the original frame intact except for the extension.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:13 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

So you guys are a group of delinquents now ?

Cool
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Makes no sense to me. How did folks like Boyd Cottington, and now Chip Foose get away with the crazy rebuilds? We know a 1965 Mustang was not built to hold a motor with twice or thrice the horsepower with turbo and blower, and all, but yet, they get away with dropping cars like that all the time for crazy money.
Anyone knows that a <ehem> rebuilt 90 or 110 (even if it was a VIN swap) IN ALMOST ALL CASES, safer than a 1985 Defender that is stock (and probably a swiss cheese frame, with inadequate brakes and marginal upkeep from previous owners in a corrosive environment).
Yeah, we have brilliant folks running our Country (going to hell in a hand-basket).

I yield my soapbox.
Geez!

D

ps: And I hope (as they probably are) reading this thread!! <insert angry face here>
and I've only owned legit trucks (NAS)- I guess it is the notion that we have unprotected borders, spend Trillions over what we can afford, and have all types of "real" illegal activity going on, ... but they deem this worth OUR tax dollars to pursue. I understood that it was 51 Federal Agents involved in the LA truck that was seized. That really seems like a good use of resources.
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRover View Post
Makes no sense to me. How did folks like Boyd Cottington, and now Chip Foose get away with the crazy rebuilds? We know a 1965 Mustang was not built to hold a motor with twice or thrice the horsepower with turbo and blower, and all, but yet, they get away with dropping cars like that all the time for crazy money.
Anyone knows that a <ehem> rebuilt 90 or 110 (even if it was a VIN swap) IN ALMOST ALL CASES, safer than a 1985 Defender that is stock (and probably a swiss cheese frame, with inadequate brakes and marginal upkeep from previous owners in a corrosive environment).
Yeah, we have brilliant folks running our Country (going to hell in a hand-basket).

I yield my soapbox.
Geez!

D

ps: And I hope (as they probably are) reading this thread!! <insert angry face here>
and I've only owned legit trucks (NAS)- I guess it is the notion that we have unprotected borders, spend Trillions over what we can afford, and have all types of "real" illegal activity going on, ... but they deem this worth OUR tax dollars to pursue. I understood that it was 51 Federal Agents involved in the LA truck that was seized. That really seems like a good use of resources.

Any link to an article or story about the 51 agents taking away the D110? I already saw the BP facebook link.

Robert Deniro
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Neil, did you buy this truck?
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Neil, did you buy this truck?
No I did not, I did come down to take a look at it and I have to admit it was a pretty aswesome truck. Someone jumped on it before me. All I will say is it is a one of a kind experience LHD edition truck, surely the only one in North America. Cheers to the new owner.

Robert Deniro
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
The big problem is that if the Gov,, either federal or state can take your truck if they even SUSPECT it not being legal, then its up to you to prove it is legit, after you pay the bond etc. of course. Scary times out there for the legit custom vehicle builders. My 69 Camaro has a hand built sub frame, late model custom everything, and a 69 VIN. I guess its saving grace is that it was built here, for our market. Maybe stretching a D90 that was built for our market is the way to go keeping the original frame intact except for the extension.
Apples and oranges, come on.

Defenders have looked very similar for many years. That, and the fact they are built outside the US, many with engines not certified for use here is why they are under more scrutiny.

A 69 Camaro is the most easily identifiable single year model of the first generation 67-69 Camaro line. No one is going to mistake an early Camaro as anything but. You are likely running some current built version of the Mark IV big block Chev which was available from the factory in 1969. There are likely more caged, tubbed, back-halved, or full tube chassis 69 Camaro hot rods and race cars then any other single American muscle car model on earth, as their original production was extended due to the late introduction of the new Gen 2 Camaro in 1970.

Providing there are no drug or alcohol infractions, your Camaro is perfectly safe from confiscation (and you know it...).

Besides, virtually no one under the age of 40 even gives a crap about our old American muscle cars anymore.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The value of my genuine NAS defender just went up thanks to the government stimulus plan of eradicating questionable imports.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
waggoner5
Gary Waggoner
1965 custom

Looks like you missed my point completely. This was not about 69 Camaros, or getting mine confiscated.Please re-read my post. I have a hand built frame with no VIN below a 69 body carrying the 69 VIN. That makes it illegal according to what I am reading here, and that was my ONLY point in even bringing it up. And no MKIV big block in either. 997HP twin turbo LS3. Yep, Im old enough to appreciate that era and old enough to have built cars for SEMA since 1988, last one being a Defender for SEMA 2011.

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:00 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here we go again.
Old August 24th, 2011, 06:25 AM
d90dang
Matthew
1997 D-90

http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...ebrity+Cars%29

Wished there was a better shop of the Defender. But John Mayer is the lucky guy?
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90dang
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...ebrity+Cars%29

Wished there was a better shop of the Defender. But John Mayer is the lucky guy?
Woah.
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:54 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Is that the black hard top from ebay?
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:41 AM
waggoner5
Gary Waggoner
1965 custom

It would take a guy like that to be able to pay whomever whatever it took to keep it. I thought it was confiscated?

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:49 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
It would take a guy like that to be able to pay whomever whatever it took to keep it. I thought it was confiscated?
the mayer truck doesn't look like a puma but who knows from that angle
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
d90dang
Matthew
1997 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
the mayer truck doesn't look like a puma but who knows from that angle
The rear sliding glass frame is the new puma style.

But the tires are different from the Generals that were on the Ebay truck. unless he changed em allready

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
110, d110, fs