Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 15th, 2016, 05:38 PM
rovertrader
Dale
90, D-I, & 109 Coiler S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
dagone, I missed some of the drama but this is a wow moment...

How do you miss a BIG rust hole staring at you when you open the fucking door??
It aint like its hiding under 2 layers of soundproofing and carpet on the cargo floor...

jeez.

Really?! You think it was just sitting there and ignored? It had been disguised with filler, and it is obviously not a typical rust prone spot- quite irregular. Look at the other pics of the underside, bulkhead, sills, door jambs, etc. Bren found it when he was detailing the truck. It escaped me and the body shop being in such a location and hidden at the time.

------ Follow up post added September 15th, 2016 05:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The only thing I'm confused about is I can't believe that Dale hasn't bought this back yet at the $9k advertised price, especially if this sold for anywhere near $19,950 just a few months ago and two states have said the vehicle is in the condition Dale has claimed it's in. I'd be chomping at the bit at an opportunity like that. How often do you get to make money on the same car twice in 6 months? Plus it's a Special Vehicle for crying out loud!
Two part answer- replaced with a one owner '03 TReK, and have no desire to re-engage with seller. I had planned to keep the Eco- not flip it, as one never recovers the cost to restore these trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE

Registry
Offer sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 09:15 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
So his attempt here to play the victim is in fact very sad.
... In the end, inspect, ask for specific pics, etc or be disappointed- especially if you have a perfectionist mentality (in which case Rovers are not for you).
I had planned to keep the Eco- not flip it, as one never recovers the cost to restore these trucks.
It's important to bear in mind that Workmeister is posting this as a _for sale_ thread, not a "waaah, I got screwed" thread. So it seems safe to assume he's not actually describing the vehicle as in worse condition than it is in order to "play the victim."

If his description is, as I think we can assume it to be, pretty frank, then yours is difficult to categorize as anything other than deliberately deceptive. The fact that you out-lawyered him does not vindicate you--it means you have gotten away with dishonesty.

Yes, a perfectionist customer may find something that the seller in all honesty missed, but in this case it's tough to find much in your description that is in fact accurate. Providing a grossly false description and then hiding behind "there's no substitute for first-hand inspection" is a weasel move.

The fact that this truck, frankly described and honestly photographed, is now _failing to sell_ for less than 50% of what you sold it for, is telling.

[/QUOTE]
I had planned to keep the Eco- not flip it, as one never recovers the cost to restore these trucks.[/QUOTE]

If you bought it to keep, why did you not title it in over a year of having it (with, it's worth mentioning, a Florida title, which would seem to have prompted you to question any "truck never left NV" story you were told by a seller)?

And why have previous threads eerily similar to this one been "disappeared" from defendersource?

Workmeister bought the truck in good faith, assuming that this community is dominated by honorable folks; your refusal to take the truck back at no loss to yourself, and your attempt here to portray yourself as the wronged one both indicate he was, regrettably, overly optimistic about the community.
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:09 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have no bone to pick in this and honestly you could have missed the rust in the restoration.

The only thing I call bullshit on is "I bought it to keep." Isn't that story getting old? You buy and sell trucks. There is no crime in that.

Also no money in restorations? Again you might want to pick another line of work than.

Just please don't start saying you have a baby on the way so the latest truck needs to go.
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:44 AM
rovertrader
Dale
90, D-I, & 109 Coiler S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Offer sent
Gustavo, just to be clear, there are several issues with this truck!! Be mindful of the illusion of the underbody being totally rust free- we used that miracle paint that provides an aged look whilst covering all the rust and holes in the sills, floors, frame, etc. And those shiny bolts holding in new bushings- even the dreaded A arm bush- mere photo shop artwork! New springs and shocks- including steering damper, actually old crappy stuff laying in the yard awaiting such a project! Oh, and those brand new looking Duratracs- found a retread place that covers the belts with POR15 to emulate new tires- honest!! And the title magic? We should have pursued it further as well as the shop everyone sends their trucks to in Fl for thorough rebuilds and a friend of mine for 15 or more years, as he was the PO (had planned a Tdi repower that never happened), so the whole Vegas story was made up too!! But the best part- we removed the brand new carpets and replaced it with some junk from a rust bucket and set it outside in a mud puddle to look like it had been an event or two with a bunch of guys getting in and out with muddy feet. The real event was a cake walk at the mall in loafers....
But my favorite- the rear quarter panels were perfect, yet at full articulation the tires rubbed ever so slightly. We had planned to keep this from everyone- especially the buyer, but thought hey- we might get to take a sazall to this rig yet!! So on said disclosure, the new buyer asked us to hack them- it worked!! And so ever so carefully we did a discrete Camel Cut- now any real collector would hesitate to own this cut up rust bucket!!

Barry, I have actually made progress liquidating, and have truly decided with events like this, the multi step recovery may work! If I can just get another buyer or two to never lay eyes on their purchase, then try to renege, but if that doesn't work, file complaints in a couple different states (and apparently by the remarks, I should not reply to them), I may be cured!
But in the meantime, I'm gonna work on the baby angle- I mean why not, it will replace the curse of spending $$ on more Land Rovers!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:56 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quoted for posterity. Pretty remarkable attitude on display.

Quote:
Gustavo, just to be clear, there are several issues with this truck!! Be mindful of the illusion of the underbody being totally rust free- we used that miracle paint that provides an aged look whilst covering all the rust and holes in the sills, floors, frame, etc. And those shiny bolts holding in new bushings- even the dreaded A arm bush- mere photo shop artwork! New springs and shocks- including steering damper, actually old crappy stuff laying in the yard awaiting such a project! Oh, and those brand new looking Duratracs- found a retread place that covers the belts with POR15 to emulate new tires- honest!! And the title magic? We should have pursued it further as well as the shop everyone sends their trucks to in Fl for thorough rebuilds and a friend of mine for 15 or more years, as he was the PO (had planned a Tdi repower that never happened), so the whole Vegas story was made up too!! But the best part- we removed the brand new carpets and replaced it with some junk from a rust bucket and set it outside in a mud puddle to look like it had been an event or two with a bunch of guys getting in and out with muddy feet. The real event was a cake walk at the mall in loafers....
But my favorite- the rear quarter panels were perfect, yet at full articulation the tires rubbed ever so slightly. We had planned to keep this from everyone- especially the buyer, but thought hey- we might get to take a sazall to this rig yet!! So on said disclosure, the new buyer asked us to hack them- it worked!! And so ever so carefully we did a discrete Camel Cut- now any real collector would hesitate to own this cut up rust bucket!!

Barry, I have actually made progress liquidating, and have truly decided with events like this, the multi step recovery may work! If I can just get another buyer or two to never lay eyes on their purchase, then try to renege, but if that doesn't work, file complaints in a couple different states (and apparently by the remarks, I should not reply to them), I may be cured!
But in the meantime, I'm gonna work on the baby angle- I mean why not, it will replace the curse of spending $$ on more Land Rovers!!

Old September 16th, 2016, 09:03 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
If only that was true. Most deal gone bad threads directed at longtime DS members get deleted.
Old September 16th, 2016, 12:04 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
If only that was true. Most deal gone bad threads directed at longtime DS members get deleted.
I've seen a lot of threads get shut down or comments disappear but, in my experience it's not easy to get a thread or comments deleted around here. I tried a while back after a thread that I started was discovered by the owner of the vehicle that I had posted about in the thread. Poor old timer reportedly let his heart get broken by all the negative comments made about his truck and he asked that it be taken down. I tried to help him but, unfortunately the moderators could of cared less. Member since 2003.

Sorry for the hijack. GLWTS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4162634062.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	157719
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:21 PM
workmeistr
Bren Workman
'93 RR LWB

Since I have been addressed by the seller, and for the benefit of the discussion, within 30 hours of receiving the vehicle I called and told the seller that for the aforementioned reasons, I requested to return the vehicle at my expense in a reasonable time, assured vehicle would not be driven and would be garaged, informed seller that I would additionally include ~$400 of parts purchased before seeing the condition of the vehicle. At that point, I would have been out $2K ($600 shipping each way + $400/parts), and no hard feelings.The seller declined the offer, having already hooked his whale, at which time I began to research breach of contract remedies.
Old September 16th, 2016, 10:08 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post

And why have previous threads eerily similar to this one been "disappeared" from defendersource?
Just a note to say I was wrong--it was some discoweb threads about this seller that have gone missing from the historical record, not defendersource threads. My apologies.
Old September 16th, 2016, 10:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

As a buyer of something that cost 20k you really should have looked at it in person. But at the same time, I can see trusting people's reputations when they are long standing members of the community.

After looking at the pics, Dale you should be ashamed of yourself. The seam sealer and rust hole are nuts!! So you want us to believe no one opened the door and saw the rust. Not you or the painter who painted this thing with his eyes closed? Yet the new owner just found all the holes with luck during the first 24 hours? Also can someone tell me what is going on with that bumper? Please tel lme that isn't factory. It is beyond ghetto.
Old September 16th, 2016, 11:25 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmeistr View Post
Since I have been addressed by the seller, and for the benefit of the discussion, within 30 hours of receiving the vehicle I called and told the seller that for the aforementioned reasons, I requested to return the vehicle at my expense in a reasonable time, assured vehicle would not be driven and would be garaged, informed seller that I would additionally include ~$400 of parts purchased before seeing the condition of the vehicle. At that point, I would have been out $2K ($600 shipping each way + $400/parts), and no hard feelings.The seller declined the offer, having already hooked his whale, at which time I began to research breach of contract remedies.
That's just fucking awesome. It's just a matter of time before D90 Source gets the inevitable legal threat from Dale, like the one I received from attorney and D90 Source member Ben01 (Ben01) when Dale had an issue with a Discoweb for-sale-posting-gone-wrong that was affecting his search engine reputation.

I resisted taking down the post but I was unfamiliar with Dale's history and was in the middle of a cross-country move so I deleted the negative posting and gave Dale the benefit of the doubt regarding the situation. Now I am seriously regretting that decision. It's possible that workmeister could have avoided this situation if he had read the now-deleted thread on DiscoWeb first, the one that came up at the top of search results when you searched Dale's name.

I hope this thread remains visible here. "Rust free". How shameful.

/
/
/
/
Old September 17th, 2016, 12:14 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery

Damn, that's some balls right there.

Quote:

Old September 17th, 2016, 01:44 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I have no bone to pick in this and honestly you could have missed the rust in the restoration
I'm with Bang. You can see that hole with the door closed. If the rack came off for painting that was staring someone in the face. How does detailing expose that?

I'd say it's good that the seller didn't mention anything namewise in his listing and previous seller brought themself into the thread on his own. Hopefully thsee comments are here forever.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:45 AM
workmeistr
Bren Workman
'93 RR LWB

The first step on the road of redemption is the hardest. I propose the seller takes me up on my offer made 30 hours after receiving the vehicle: specimen shipped back to seller with all original parts, $400 of additional parts purchased by intended buyer, plus an additional $600 refund for the initial shipment. This should not be hard, like it shouldn't have been from the beginning. The imagination was stretched a bit too far on this one and only redeeming action is to accept the offer to return it back at no financial loss to the seller. The intended buyer, in effect, conducted a $1600 long-distance PPI.
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:22 AM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Sweet Jesus. Quoting because, wow.

Quote:

Old September 27th, 2016, 02:25 PM
workmeistr
Bren Workman
'93 RR LWB

Eco is on eBay for another week. Now back to my big ol' plate of schnitz un knepp...
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:29 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Really unfortunate that you are going through this. Wish I were in the position to buy it. And shoot it out of a cannon over Rovertrader's fence.
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:28 PM
workmeistr
Bren Workman
'93 RR LWB

Deposit received.
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:32 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Right on! GLWTS, Workmeister. May you only lose 3/4 of a shirt on this deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
cover, disco, discovery, fs, land rover