Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old September 9th, 2016, 12:37 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=crai...obile&ie=UTF-8 Typed the members listed name in google. No idea if it's him or not. That's the Google return.
YouTube video has same pic.

Go fuck yourself San Diego
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2016, 05:42 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

https://myspace.com/blonde_chum/photos
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:04 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
I'm in. But I already have a defender. My wife gave birth to out awesome daughter 12 weeks ago and we baught a home in May. Did I mention we have a labradoodle?
Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Nos4ra2
Nos4ra2
1995 NAS D90 #2489

Let me be the first to say welcome, Nice to have a celebrity on the boards, You should do a story on this. but please include images of the before and after the remodel, and would think that the 1 month child birth would warrant its own story.

But will say the camera work on his video was amazing pro quality
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Craig. I think your video sums up the condition of this poor old truck. The video serves as full disclosure of the condition.
I think you and everyone on the board knows that this is a full replacement vehicle. There is very little that can be used to restore it.
Spending $5K on getting brake work done would be throwing money down the toilet.

Its a shame if you bought something you believed was repairable. I did the same thing several years ago when I bought a truck from a board member here for $15K. The photos I saw were not thorough and there it was a total replacement build. I paid far too much for a piece of paper.
In my opinion this is all you really have is an identity. If you have more than 10K in it you really cant expect to get much for a piece of paper.
Reality is that for someone to pay 20K to buy a defender to restore it stands to reason that there should be quite a lot more to start with that what you have.

If I were you I would put no reserve auction on Ebay. AS is where is! You will get at least 10K and get it gone out of your life. Save yourself the ridicule.
I would not say that the body is in good condition though. It would be better to be open and say its in very rough shape and needs a full frame off restoration.
Too bad someone allowed this truck to go like this.

Good luck sir.
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:29 AM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRoverLove View Post
Arles Blue 1994 Land Rover NAS Defender 90

Hey! I wanted to list this for sale here before it goes on eBay. I'm going to keep it up here for one week for the best offer above $20k.

I bought the vehicle from a guy who bought it in 2000. He kept it on the streets of Chicago so the undercarriage is in bad shape and needs work. The odometer reads 76k miles. The Chicago owner says he put 3k miles on it since then and it is really 79k miles. It has a fuel cell mounted behind the back seat. This D90 starts up easily and engine runs well, but car is being sold “AS-IS” due to the need for undercarriage work and TLC.
Vin: SALDV2288RA943125

The good: This D90's body is in good condition on the top. There are very few dents and the paint isn't too bad. It cranks right up and the AC, radio, and wipers are fully functional! The engine, transmission and differentials are in good condition.

The bad: I've included a picture of a quote to get this D90 safely back on the road. It will cost you around $5500 because it needs new brake lines, shocks and pads.

It will need a new galvanized chassis because it has bad rust!
It has great potential to be fully restored and painted to become a truck worth a lot of money or become a custom build.

I'm marking this as local pick-up only. It will need to be towed to its new home unless you want the British mechanic, who is very familiar with the truck, to start the work for you.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/H6DT9USdP68

Terms of sale: Seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. Seller makes no warranty as to accuracy of mileage. Vehicle is sold in the AS-IS Condition. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgment solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any statements. Feel free to ask any questions or request pictures of any area of the car that you feel is important and I might have missed. Buyer pays for shipping. This is a legally binding contract and by bidding, you agree to purchase the vehicle pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth in the auction.

quote capturing for later use in case he decides to take it down.

I too talked to the owner when he first posted it for $5k. Called the shop where it sat and talked to the mechanic for awhile. Talked to the owner and within hours he was saying he had higher offers. Some unsuspecting poor eBay chap will unfortunately be overpaying. Hope he's not pregnant or remodeling a baby.
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:46 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Just realized ad says best offer OVER 20!
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Craig, I'll pay $7K for the truck as is, where it sits.

I can be there with a trailer next Friday to haul it out of your life 4ever.....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:53 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Am I the only person who thinks its refurbishable as is if you are capable of doing the work yourself.

It's not worth anywhere near 20 but based on the photos you could have a decent driver if you put a few grand and hours of TLC into it.

I know it's the cool thing to do to rag on this guy right now but be honest, the body is straight. The frame appears okay. No obvious rot on the firewall from the photos.

New seats, interior refresh. Exterior detail with some new plastics here and there. New front bumper. Put those RN pads on the roll cage or run it as a fastback. New fuel tank and cradle. New brake system apparently. You'd go broke having a shop do it all but if you're capable of turning wrenches....

Not every 90 needs to be a showpiece. Well except maybe on this board.

(Still doesnt make it worth 20 though)
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
No obvious rot on the firewall from the photos.
The seller did do a great job taking photos to disclose some of the trouble areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4116451589.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	157272  
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:07 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I didnt see that one. But even if it needs footwells its not the end of the truck. People have been fixing and driving Series trucks in worse shape than this for 30 years.

Just offering some perspective. As I said you'd go broke having a shop fix it but a capable DIY owner would be able to save it into a decent, usable, well-worn NAS 90 I think.

(Still doesn't make it worth 20k)
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:11 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The seller did do a great job taking photos to disclose some of the trouble areas.
Holyshit!! At least the floor boards look good.

It should be noted the seller did not post these photos.

All of these came from the original seller.

Has the vin been posted to the thread?

Would be good for if anyone googles it when it shows on eBay as just needing 5k of work.
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
This 90 needs a new bulkhead.
I'm sure there are no door bottoms left; probably look like the tailgate.
Even the axle housing need replacement, I think the the shock mounts are going to fall off.

I can be there next Friday.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:29 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Wait I think the truck has been sold and is for sale by yet another new person.

Looks like it now for sale by Craig Andrew. Yesterday it was for sale by Craig Lucie.

Damn we missed out. I assume the new owner is going to want more to recoup the improvements they made.

------ Follow up post added September 9th, 2016 08:31 AM ------

Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks its refurbishable as is if you are capable of doing the work yourself. It's not worth anywhere near 20 but based on the photos you could have a decent driver if you put a few grand and hours of TLC into it. I know it's the cool thing to do to rag on this guy right now but be honest, the body is straight. The frame appears okay. No obvious rot on the firewall from the photos. New seats, interior refresh. Exterior detail with some new plastics here and there. New front bumper. Put those RN pads on the roll cage or run it as a fastback. New fuel tank and cradle. New brake system apparently. You'd go broke having a shop do it all but if you're capable of turning wrenches.... Not every 90 needs to be a showpiece. Well except maybe on this board. (Still doesnt make it worth 20 though)

Dreaming if you think the frame is okay.
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:46 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks its refurbishable as is if you are capable of doing the work yourself.

It's not worth anywhere near 20 but based on the photos you could have a decent driver if you put a few grand and hours of TLC into it.

I know it's the cool thing to do to rag on this guy right now but be honest, the body is straight. The frame appears okay. No obvious rot on the firewall from the photos.

New seats, interior refresh. Exterior detail with some new plastics here and there. New front bumper. Put those RN pads on the roll cage or run it as a fastback. New fuel tank and cradle. New brake system apparently. You'd go broke having a shop do it all but if you're capable of turning wrenches....

Not every 90 needs to be a showpiece. Well except maybe on this board.

(Still doesnt make it worth 20 though)
I don't think people were ragging on the guy to be cool.

This rig is roached. People that have been working on Defenders for years and have a few or more builds can tell a lot from certain signs on this blue truck. Hell, I'm on my first build and can see:

- rear cross member/ fuel tank cradle is flat out gone
- bulkhead doesn't even have footwells
- you can see thru the seatbox

Like ECR has said on here (or maybe FB too) - the cost of a frame swap is never just the price of a new frame and labor to swap parts. If you need a new frame you will need a lot of the little things and that's where the price add up. This rig needs a new frame (actually complete rolling chassis as I wouldn't trust those axles), bulkhead, and seatbox. If those are shot then I would bet the body (as clean as it looks) needs work too.

No not every 90 needs to be a show piece but if you are in for a new frame, axles, brakes, fuel system, bulkhead, and seatbox (and that is just to make this safe) you might as well finish it off correctly.

At the 20k AND UP price the OP is looking for I would say a UK/ROW rig would be a much better spend.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:09 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

That might be the way you'd do it - but it's not the only way to do it.

Just because something needs to be repaired does not mean it needs to be replaced.

As stated, just offering perspective. I know plenty of Series owners who would have that thing on the road with new footwells, some rear crossmember repair, and some other tidying and be smiling down the road while some others would toil for years with a $50k rebuild and never get to drive it.

(Still doesn't make it worth $20k though)
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:23 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:

Just because something needs to be repaired does not mean it needs to be replaced.

As stated, just offering perspective. I know plenty of Series owners who would have that thing on the road with new footwells, some rear crossmember repair, and some other tidying and be smiling down the road while some others would toil for years with a $50k rebuild and never get to drive it.

ain't that the truth...I'd buy it for 7k just for what IS usable off that truck (please read between the lines so I don't have to call Captain Obvious)..
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:23 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:

Plenty of ways to make that frame "good enough"

https://www.facebook.com/15474275457...type=3&theater

Not really the point of the posts though. The seller came here to flip the thing while his wife was in labor not realizing that people on the board would be familiar with it or what he paid.

Wonder if this thread will speed up his time table for when he lists it on ebay. Don't forget, he is giving us a full week to buy before he opens it up to everyone.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:24 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Makes me think of this:

Old September 9th, 2016, 11:32 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

In case anyone cares

VIN SALDV2288RA943125

I ran a carfax on it too.

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments: 10/09/1997 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Passed emissions inspection 01/14/1999 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Passed emissions inspection 09/16/2000 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept. Vehicle purchase reported 06/15/2001 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Passed emissions inspection 03/08/2002 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Passed emissions inspection 02/26/2004 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Failed emissions inspection 03/11/2004 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Passed emissions inspection 05/16/2006 Illinois
Inspection Station
Chicago, IL Passed emissions inspection 10/17/2008 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL Registration issued or renewed 06/12/2009 61,141 Howard Orloff Imports, Inc.
Chicago, IL
773-227-3200
orloff.com Light bulb(s) replaced
Oil and filter changed 09/30/2009 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL Registration issued or renewed 09/29/2010 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL Registration issued or renewed 09/19/2011 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL Registration issued or renewed 09/13/2012 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL Registration issued or renewed 09/18/2013 Illinois