For Sale; 1974 Series III, Lightweight Land Rover - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old November 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

For Sale; 1974 Series III, Lightweight Land Rover

The addition of a 1997 D90 forces the sale of this vehicle. Susan C. Daniero, of Park City 4x4 classics advised me to post the sale here.

For Sale; 1974 Series III, Air Portable Lightweight Land Rover
24 Volt FFR(Fitted for Radio), Right-hand Drive
Part time 4X4 2.25 gas engine, 4 speed with a Fairey Overdrive, by Rovers Down South.
Miles showing on odometer 47,440
$6,500.00

I can email a scanned copy of the evaluation East Coast Rover emailed to me before I purchased the vehicle in 2004. I will also email photos that I have of the lightweight.

Work that has been completed on the vehicle since I have had the Lightweight;

New Clutch Cylinder
New Brake master cylinder
4 New wheel cylinders
New Drain pan and Transfer case gaskets
Rear pinion seal leak repaired
1 new Fuel tank
New Radiator, and cowling
New Water pump, thermostat, hoses and belts
New neoprene connecting hose
New Speedometer cable
New seat bottoms( you can have the old ones too)
Horn works
Brake lights work
Spare tire repaired
Both headlights work

This was my weekend driver and never failed to start or operate. This is an original Lightweight, and all parts are ones it was imported with. I have only added the Overdrive and a steering damper. I also installed new L1A1 brackets, as the old ones had seen better days. When this vehicle wasnít being driven it was stored in the garage. All oils were changed each spring and checked prior any trips.

Included with the sell is the Illustrated Part Catalogue for the Lightweight and a MOD Vehicle manual for the Series Land Rovers.

If you have any Questions, feel free to PM, or email. edhartman30@charter.net

I will email my phone number, If anyone would like to talk about this Lightweight over the phone. I'm located in Southern Virginia.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edcorollare8.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	7504   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-015F.JPG
Views:	3688
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	7507  

Name:	ctnmodule.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	7509  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'll trade you a 2000 Jetta for it (Just in case you need a daily driver...worth a shot)
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Thanks, but no, I'm thinning the herd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Did the British Army use FN/FL's? I think i saw a few in a south african movie once.

Neil
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Neil,

Good question, I would say no, but then I'd be wrong. I guess the easiest way to explain is Commonwealth countries;

Inch Pattern
Austrialia- SLR "Self Loading Rifle"
Britian, India, New Zeland- L1A1

Everybody else;

Metric Pattern
South America- FNFAL
Turkey-G1
Germany, Belgium, Austria STG

All in all, it's the same rifle. Its called the right arm of the free world and at its high point I believe 75 different countries produced a FAL.

Yet, I'm no expert. If you would like more information check out www.falfiles.com

You can see just about any type in this thread; http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=96199

Here's an Argentinian FAL, a Rodesian R1, and a STG.

Would the movie your talking about be "The Wild Geese"?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc030fcy5.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	7511   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc034fxm8.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	7512  

Name:	Ed Hartman 3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	7513  
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Do the FN/FAL come with the lightweight???
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartman
Neil,

Good question, I would say no, but then I'd be wrong. I guess the easiest way to explain is Commonwealth countries;

Inch Pattern

Everybody else;

Metric Pattern
South America- FNFAL
Turkey-G1

All in all, it's the same rifle. Its called the right arm of the free world and at its high point I believe 75 different countries produced a FAL.

Yet, I'm no expert. If you would like more information check out www.falfiles.com

You can see just about any type in this thread; http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=96199

Here's some R1 love.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rhodesian cavalry circa 1978.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7514  
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Neil,

Inch Pattern

Everybody else;

Metric Pattern
South America- FNFAL
Turkey-G1

Pretty nice rifle. I like the FAL for many reasons and i'd like to add one to my collection to match it up to my other 308, a JLD G3 clone. Although I already know the FAL is superior to the G3. The movie I was referring to is called "Standard" starring Tom Jane. (Highly recommend this movie) He's in the military police and they bust out FAL's to "curb" a riot. I was tempted to mount an AR-15 type rifle in my D90 with a police cruiser type mount but I thought it would be bad for the following reasons, it would attract unwanted attention from thieves, liberal soccer moms, and law enforcement. Although it is perfectly legal to do so, so long as it is complies with california's SB23 Assault Weapons law. Mounting a G3, FAL, AR-15 or Remington 870 in my rover would be an awesome thing to do I think but it seems the bad far outweighs the good. It just gives off a bad vibe due to its visibility. Instead I opted to mount a steel security safe on the middle console. I can store my HK USP .45 inside (unloaded of course) with fully loaded mags in another compartment. The box is key pad operated, it takes me like 2 seconds to open it. Either way cool Rover, cool rifle and nice pictures. Keep on rockin it Rover OG.

Neil

PS: If you live in California and you want to legally buy, keep and shoot an AR-15, AK, FAL, G3 or MP5 (yes the semi-auto version) ask me and i'll tell you how. The California Assault weapon loophole has been in full effect since last November. Woo hoo!
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Pretty nice rifle. I like the FAL for many reasons and i'd like to add one to my collection to match it up to my other 308, a JLD G3 clone. Although I already know the FAL is superior to the G3. The movie I was referring to is called "Standard" starring Tom Jane. (Highly recommend this movie) He's in the military police and they bust out FAL's to "curb" a riot. I was tempted to mount an AR-15 type rifle in my D90 with a police cruiser type mount but I thought it would be bad for the following reasons, it would attract unwanted attention from thieves, liberal soccer moms, and law enforcement. Although it is perfectly legal to do so, so long as it is complies with california's SB23 Assault Weapons law. Mounting a G3, FAL, AR-15 or Remington 870 in my rover would be an awesome thing to do I think but it seems the bad far outweighs the good. It just gives off a bad vibe due to its visibility. Instead I opted to mount a steel security safe on the middle console. I can store my HK USP .45 inside (unloaded of course) with fully loaded mags in another compartment. The box is key pad operated, it takes me like 2 seconds to open it. Either way cool Rover, cool rifle and nice pictures. Keep on rockin it Rover OG.

Neil

PS: If you live in California and you want to legally buy, keep and shoot an AR-15, AK, FAL, G3 or MP5 (yes the semi-auto version) ask me and i'll tell you how. The California Assault weapon loophole has been in full effect since last November. Woo hoo!
Do you know of any reliable documentation of what constitutes legal transport in California for a weapon mounted in the fashion shown above?

I assume that it must remain unloaded and locked in compliance with the usual California laws, but what's the story if the weapon is visible? Everything I encounter refers to the the weapon being in the trunk or a locked hard case or other locking compartment.

I'd like to mount my No.5 Jungle Carbine in the 110, but I wan't it to be completely legal.

I'm guessing I should just seek an opinion directly from my nearest CHP office.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Do you know of any reliable documentation of what constitutes legal transport in California for a weapon mounted in the fashion shown above?

I assume that it must remain unloaded and locked in compliance with the usual California laws, but what's the story if the weapon is visible? Everything I encounter refers to the the weapon being in the trunk or a locked hard case or other locking compartment.

I'd like to mount my No.5 Jungle Carbine in the 110, but I wan't it to be completely legal.

I'm guessing I should just seek an opinion directly from my nearest CHP office.
Read this: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/tra...95a1cd46543fe7

If its not an assault weapon, you don't have to lock it. It only needs to be unloaded. Being visible is no problem if it is a long gun/non assault rifle.

Neil
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Ed,

How exactly do those L1A1 mounts work?

Any close up pics?

Would they work for another weapon?

Thanks!
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Hey JSQ, check this out, mabye it'll give you some ideas. http://www.thegunzone.com/ritzy-warwagon.html

Neil
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Hey JSQ, check this out, mabye it'll give you some ideas. http://www.thegunzone.com/ritzy-warwagon.html

Neil
That's interesting.

I'm trying for something a little more "factory" looking in the 110.
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfndr90
Do the FN/FAL come with the lightweight???
Matt, not at the present time. Due to BATF and the recent elections the FnFAL might be hard to come by in the future. The sunsetting, in 2004, of the 1994 Assualt Weapon ban brought them back to life.

Good question though, got me thinking

Ed

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Here's some R1 love.
Jack,

Nice picture, I've seen it before. I would imagine the horse is deaf. Man, if Rodesian R1's could talk?, I'd never really heard about war that occured there in the 60's and 70's, until I got on FALFiles.

Quote:
Ed,

How exactly do those L1A1 mounts work?

Any close up pics?

Would they work for another weapon?

Thanks!
They grip the upper handguards and the reveiver of the SLR. Sorry, I dont have closer pics, but could have them in a day or two. Is there a specific weapon you were checking for fit, let me know, I might be able to find out..

Ed

Follow-up Post:

Quote:

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the info, I will check out the movie. If you want a FAL now is the time to get one, with the past election, Military"type" rifles will be on the ban agenda again. I've seen some nices FNFALs,SLRs, and the such headed to CA, sorry they have to be neutered, 10 round fixed mag and the such. You all have it tuff, but the climate should make up for it

The HK .45 is a nice pistol, probably my favorite.

Do CA residents have to mount the weapon in plain view? It would great to have mounts on the upper roll bar(overhead)?, so the rifle would be some what hidden.

"I thought it would be bad for the following reasons, it would attract unwanted attention from liberal soccer moms"

Ha, when I picked up my STG from the FFL, his wife was intimidated by its appearance.

Thanks for the input
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Ed,

It looks as if the mounts simply clamp the weapon?

I'd like to know if they could hold a Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine, if you happen to have one laying around.

Could you tell me where you purchased the mounts or if you have your old set?

Thanks for all your help.

There's a fair amount of info out there about the Rhodesian conflicts, but you certainly have to work to find it. It's a fascinating conflict and an interesting case study for the FN-FAL derivative rifles.

My generic choice for favorite showdown would predictably be the Falklands, with particular attention to select fire capability.

I've always taken issue with "right arm of the free world". The FN-FAL is certainly prolific in the diversity of the nations that utilized it, but as far as combat time it just never strikes me as the iconic weapon. I always wonder if more stoner-derived AR type weapons were actually fielded in combat.
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Matt, not at the present time. Due to BATF and the recent elections the FnFAL might be hard to come by in the future. The sunsetting, in 2004, of the 1994 Assualt Weapon ban brought them back to life.

Good question though, got me thinking

Ed

Follow-up Post:

Jack,

Nice picture, I've seen it before. I would imagine the horse is deaf. Man, if Rodesian R1's could talk?, I'd never really heard about war that occured there in the 60's and 70's, until I got on FALFiles.

They grip the upper handguards and the reveiver of the SLR. Sorry, I dont have closer pics, but could have them in a day or two. Is there a specific weapon you were checking for fit, let me know, I might be able to find out..

Ed

Follow-up Post:

Neil,

Thanks for the info, I will check out the movie. If you want a FAL now is the time to get one, with the past election, Military"type" rifles will be on the ban agenda again. I've seen some nices FNFALs,SLRs, and the such headed to CA, sorry they have to be neutered, 10 round fixed mag and the such. You all have it tuff, but the climate should make up for it

The HK .45 is a nice pistol, probably my favorite.

Do CA residents have to mount the weapon in plain view? It would great to have mounts on the upper roll bar(overhead)?, so the rifle would be some what hidden.

"I thought it would be bad for the following reasons, it would attract unwanted attention from liberal soccer moms"

Ha, when I picked up my STG from the FFL, his wife was intimidated by its appearance.

Thanks for the input
Well we still have a few years left before we'll hear anything about a new AW ban. At least til the end of 07 or 08. We still have time for now until Fienstein Schumer and the rest of the Brady Bunch try to push another ban again (which we all know they will) A lot of folks here in California are now buying full spec FALs, G3 clones, AR/AK type rifles that have detachable high cap magazines (If you had them prior to 2000) The FFL in an AW friendly state will simply ship the rifle to an FFL in CA disassembled. CA DOJ knows this but can't do anything about it because it follows the letter of the law. If we want to keep our detachable magaines, we make sure we don't have collapsable buttstocks, flash hiders and pistol grips. Or we use the monster man grip, which is kinda like a grip "per se" but you can't wrap the web of your forefinger and thumb around it, which makes this type of grip legal according to the letter of SB23. (We're still waiting for a test case but its legal for now) So what does this all mean for us in enemy territory? Well I can buy a Romanian AK kit, use a offlisted receiver like Ohio ordinance, biuld it with the intent to use a detachable magazine, keep the wooden fixed stock, the slant muzzle break and with a monster man grip, viola, a regular functioning semi-auto ak with detachable high caps that I owned prior to 2k and best of all, its 100% legal. You don't have to mount non AW long guns in plain view here in kali, you just have to make sure its unloaded. I was gonna mount a rifle on the rollcage but I don't want to destroy the fragile rubber with clamps. Mabye you could sleeve it with some black plastic, than I'd try it.

Neil
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Ed,

It looks as if the mounts simply clamp the weapon?

I'd like to know if they could hold a Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine, if you happen to have one laying around.

Could you tell me where you purchased the mounts or if you have your old set?

Thanks for all your help.

There's a fair amount of info out there about the Rhodesian conflicts, but you certainly have to work to find it. It's a fascinating conflict and an interesting case study for the FN-FAL derivative rifles.

My generic choice for favorite showdown would predictably be the Falklands, with particular attention to select fire capability.

I've always taken issue with "right arm of the free world". The FN-FAL is certainly prolific in the diversity of the nations that utilized it, but as far as combat time it just never strikes me as the iconic weapon. I always wonder if more stoner-derived AR type weapons were actually fielded in combat.
Well, I'll dig the Enfield No. 5 Carbine out of the safe and get some pics for you.

I gave away my old SLR brackets to a member over at the FALfiles last year. In the mean time, I will locate the website I purchased the new ones from. They are located in England though.

I did make new mounts for the SLR rifle brackets. If you want two let me know.

I cant argue with your last statement, I just really like the FNfal.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Well we still have a few years left before we'll hear anything about a new AW ban. At least til the end of 07 or 08. We still have time for now until Fienstein Schumer and the rest of the Brady Bunch try to push another ban again (which we all know they will) A lot of folks here in California are now buying full spec FALs, G3 clones, AR/AK type rifles that have detachable high cap magazines (If you had them prior to 2000) The FFL in an AW friendly state will simply ship the rifle to an FFL in CA disassembled. CA DOJ knows this but can't do anything about it because it follows the letter of the law. If we want to keep our detachable magaines, we make sure we don't have collapsable buttstocks, flash hiders and pistol grips. Or we use the monster man grip, which is kinda like a grip "per se" but you can't wrap the web of your forefinger and thumb around it, which makes this type of grip legal according to the letter of SB23. (We're still waiting for a test case but its legal for now) So what does this all mean for us in enemy territory? Well I can buy a Romanian AK kit, use a offlisted receiver like Ohio ordinance, biuld it with the intent to use a detachable magazine, keep the wooden fixed stock, the slant muzzle break and with a monster man grip, viola, a regular functioning semi-auto ak with detachable high caps that I owned prior to 2k and best of all, its 100% legal. You don't have to mount non AW long guns in plain view here in kali, you just have to make sure its unloaded. I was gonna mount a rifle on the rollcage but I don't want to destroy the fragile rubber with clamps. Mabye you could sleeve it with some black plastic, than I'd try it.

Neil
It's good to know you all can still have fun there in CA.

You are correct about not wanting to destroy the Fragile rubber on the roll cage, but jeeze thats the best location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-007F.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	7527   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008F.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	7528  

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7529  
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Funny turn this for sale thread took.

I really like those weapon clamps on the light weight. The clamps used in the US Hummers look like the broom clips you get from home depot.

So do you think this mount system would be OK in Cali?
:D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roverguns.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	7530  
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover
Funny turn this for sale thread took.

I really like those weapon clamps on the light weight. The clamps used in the US Hummers look like the broom clips you get from home depot.

So do you think this mount system would be OK in Cali?
:D
Peter:

Do you have that Photo in a larger format? I would love to have that hanging on the office wall.

See ya at the Solihul Xmas Party
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

The original is 750x600pixels.
The image is the size I posted. It's on a black background with
"Firepower, the more the merrier" underneath.
Prints nice on 8x11 sheet of paper, have it on my desk

I just emailed it to you

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
You are correct about not wanting to destroy the Fragile rubber on the roll cage, but jeeze thats the best location.
Thats the one cool thing about the M4 or an underfold AK, can fit just about anywhere.

I think my next rifle will be a Para FNFAL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
97, ht, series, series iii