Feeler 64 FJ45 LWB - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Feeler 64 FJ45 LWB

Hey guys, I have recieved a trade offer for my 110 but I'm not sure what this truck is worth...any help would be great. I'm not a Toyota guy but this seems to be a damb nice truck!

Here is some of the info on the truck, any help would be great

Thanks,
James
www.NolimitX.com

The FJ45 is a matching original body and frame originally imported to the US. The body and frame is uncut but the drive train, suspension, and interior is heavily modified. The only thing on the body that isn't original is the dash cluster has been replaced by Auto Meter gauges and the gas tank was removed from the cab and a Bronco 23 Gal located between the rear frame rails. The suspension is a spring over with shackle reversals. The drive train is an LS1 Turn Key motor, NV4500HD 5 speed, OE remaned transfer case, OE Axle Housings, Warn Hubs Front and Rear (Rear no longer available), 4.10 gears, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, the axle shafts were upgraded to 30 or 35, and the rear made a full floater. Since the body off it has never been off-road. The drive train has no more than 10K miles on it, the LS motor no more than 5K (originally swapped in an Edelbrock 350), and the body off restoration 1500 miles.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...sel/64%20FJ45/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2010, 11:15 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Here's my impression, it's a looker truck. Looks good at first glance, but you dig into it and questionable build quality arises.

Here's why I say that:

Is there no filter on the intake on that thing or am I just

I see hardware that's been painted over, I'd want to know if that's how these were done by Toyota or not. Painted over hardware is always a red flag to me as to how thorough as restoration has been, and a major pet peeve of mine.

Horrible routing of hydro-assist lines. This alone makes me wonder about underlying quality of the build.

Small stock Tie-Rod... with hydro assist, this makes me question how thorough of attention was actually paid to the axle/suspension build. Visible rust on axle/tie-rod/springs

No pics of Spring-over fabwork.

Loose uncovered wires in the engine bay.

Cheapo 4WP "Bling" Wheels

In summation, I'd say for what I'm guessing you have in your 110, it would be a BAD trade, do not do it, someones hoping you are dumb.
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

2nd on everything the Dungbeetle said above.

It *looks* great at first, but I see several things right off the bat. Air filter (or NO filter), open holes in firewall, crappy coolant hoses, wires out of place with cheap crimp connectors, junk wheels, ugly undercarriage with junk parts, cheap gauges and a stupid spare tire carrier that will leave holes in an otherwise solid *appearing* original bed.

EDIT: Looked again. Wires through firewall with no protective plugs, wires right next to header with no protection, why is the drivers inner fender all hacked apart? Outer fender has a large gap between fwd and aft parts as well or is it me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
MUDSUX on here may be a good contact for this (or forum.IH8MUD.com ), but value for value these are nowhere close.
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:37 AM
msggunny
Richard
08 D3, 04 D2, 77 SIII

Since we are nitpicking.

The hydro lines for the ram seem poorly routed, they hang really low and arent secured in the engine bay. A little sway and they will hit the serp belt and get chafed/cut.

You dont need no stinking air filter on a chebby! Yeah, right. Hopefully they havent run it much and the cylinders arent scored from ingesting sand.

Seat belts? O, i forgot you just smash your chest into the steering wheel to stop your forward momentum in a crash, that will work too.

It looks nice, nicely half assed.
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Thanks guys for the input...you have pointed out a lot of very valid issues. I've never delt with a mostly modified vehicle so thanks for the help.

I was concerned as well about the rust...you would think if you did a frame off you would have addressed any of those issues.
The hydrolic line looks like it would be torn off after one wheeling session.

Anyway I don't want to rag on the guy...it's just not a good trade.

Thanks again,
James
www.NoLimitX.com
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

In his defense, there was an air filter on it in the video. The thing looks real nice, but another thing you have to be very careful of is bondo. Go over the whole thing with a magnet before you buy.

The hydro lines look ridiculous. I know some guys leave stuff like that long for when the axle articulates, but those will snag on something and rip off. Also, will you be wheeling this thing or just driving it? I might consider upgrading the axles if offroading, those stock housings with the 35 spline shafts probably wont hold up with the big tires. Looks like he did a decent job on the thing, but makes you wonder why some of the details are so wrong?

Coming from experience, I built a Jeep Scrambler just like this guys build. Looked very cool, but with most of it being home made, it wasnt the best quality vehicle. It ran fine and rode great, but I sold it right after i built it and it was more heavy duty than that FJ. Keep the 110.

Here was mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Boat 1 small.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	32171   Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepJet.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	32172  

Old October 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I'd trade for the 45 in a New York Minute!
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I never got beyond that spare tire mounted in the middle of the bed. Why would anybody do that?
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Pm'd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747 View Post
Pm'd
Ha! I just tried calling you earlier to tell you to check this truck out... Thought you might want it.
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:25 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

That is a great looking truck... definitly like the old 1's better than the late models.
I agree with what everybody here said after giong back to the pics, and I can see where those things would be an issue.
Definitly go over it very carefully! Good Luck!
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

not the neatest on allot of stuff.

color is ugly.

the dash isnt gonna win points for adding value.

shit that can be corrected, but at a cost.

id want pics of the truck prior to the restomod before and during. thats a damn clean bed for that age... usually if a bed it realy that nice the truck would have been too, and it would have devalued it to do that to it. hence im guessing bondo and patches. nobody rinolines a mint original 45 bed. floor welds? prolly.

id go over that with a paint meter.

some restomods are worth more than the sum of their parts, some less.... this sits in the latter half. if he may have spent 50k but if he thinks its worth 50 k hes dreaming. i find it odd its not on spector off road, man a fre, or ih8mud, where guys know toyotas.

also, ride in a stick 45 before you buy a stick 45. lets just say, they sell seat extentions for fj40's, and a 45seat doesnt go as far back as that. auqualu sells a replacement AL cab/bed combo that chops 6" outa one and adds it to the other for a reason. unless of course your stature is that of a 1960 20yo japanese fella.

check the 45 section on ih8mud regularly if you want a good truck.

p.s. currently looking for a rusted out hulk of a 45. tags, legit paperwork, and something i can drag in for photos are all i need. central east coastish.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:15 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=DSC00363.jpg

photos speak for themselves
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

i thought i heard it say 15g if you like that stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
lwb