Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Wasn't sure, sorry. I figured I'd offer them up as I'll bet he'll want windows at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Don't think the series roofsides will fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Don't think they'll fit a 90, it's longer from the back of the door to the back of the body than an 88.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Anyway, glad it arrived safe and sound. What are your plans for it? Bearing in mind it was an early press release vehicle...
Mike, my somewhat naive plan is to change the timing belt/water pump, fuel/oil filters, brake pads, do a full fluid change, wheel the truck as is for a bit, then galvanize the frame and bulkhead and repaint the vehicle. Can you explain in more detail what it means for a vehicle to be early press release? Is there something about it that I should be preserving in order to keep that status?

By the way, great job on the truck's mechanicals - it looks to have been taken care of very well

Charles - what's the difference between what I have on there now and the sides that would be on a Series? Is it the absence of the internal horizontal strengthening bar?
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

congrats, looks cool.

You can always cut the van sides and add some general RV sliding windows too. (like mine had done to it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Mike, my somewhat naive plan is to change the timing belt/water pump, wheel the truck as is for a bit, then galvanize the frame and bulkhead and repaint the vehicle. Can you explain in more detail what it means for a vehicle to be early press release? Is there something about it that I should be preserving in order to keep that status?

By the way, great job on the truck's mechanicals - it looks to have been taken care of very well
Thanks for the thumbs up on the mechanicals, pity I didn't hold the bodywork in such high regard... as I said in the sales blurb it was an off-roader.

As for the first point... timing belt yes do that disaster if it breaks, water pump, if it aint broke don't fix it

Well I rolled up at a off-road event early in my time of ownership to be told that it was one of the first 90's and owned by Land Rover and lent out to motoring press hacks to thrash round in and then write nice things about it in the press. That was around the time of the launch of the 90.
I never really cared greatly and went to no lengths at-all to preserve that originality - engine swap, back axle swap, roof and sides swap, drilling holes in the body with utter abandon in order to secure off road kit or let water out, scraping the sides down gullies to narrow for it to fit down... the list of abuses goes on and on... it used to have a truck cab and a truely knackered 2.3ltr petrol engine that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and still managed to consume 1 imperial gallon of fuel for every 12 (very slow) miles travelled. I did however leave it brown despite much stick from my off-roading mates who wouldn't even consider owning something that colour even if it was given to them...

Anyway the number plate says Land Rover Ltd and that makes it special.

The farmer who owned it before me was even worse, using the truck cab roof as a handy mobile step to reach high things (crushing it slowly in the process) and every crevice was full of straw and cow poo.

Just enjoy it, fit a new galvanised frame (chassis) don't get the old one galvanized, the paint isn't always removed from the inside of the frame properly, its damaged by the galvanizing process and then the chassis, whilst looking very pretty on the outside, rusts in double quick time from the inside out and you have to fit a new chassis.
I've galvanized the bulkhead on my 110 but the paint hasn't stuck very well... there's whole threads devoted to this but on the whole I'm pleased. I started with a very good condition bulkhead just like the one tied into the back of your 90 (It was still there wasn't it?), but I'd think VERY carefully about galvanizing a 26 year old chassis that's had some welding done already. The amount of clay I pressure washed out of the main rails while I was fitting the rear cross member had to be seen to be believed. But from what I could see the paint on the inside was sound and I gave it a good waxoyling.
Any questions just ask.

------ Follow up post added May 18th, 2011 10:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Mike, my somewhat naive plan is to change the timing belt/water pump, fuel/oil filters, brake pads, do a full fluid change, wheel the truck as is for a bit
That will work, it was my daily driver for over 2 years while the 110 was in many separate pieces being rebuilt and was very much more reliable than when it was off-roaded then parked for a couple of weeks. UJ's, brake pads etc seemed to need replacing constantly. Never let me down as a daily driver and always got me home as an off-roader but sometimes needed a lot of work before being driven again. It was finally parked up autumn of 2008 and then trials bikes reared their ugly head and it's been down hill ever since.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM
D90
Kelly
1984/D90COUNTY

im intrested in your rover send some pics and do u no what it will cost to import im in the us
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:54 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90 View Post
im intrested in your rover send some pics and do u no what it will cost to import im in the us
If you're looking to buy this particular Land Rover, it's sold, sorry.
Speak to dividing creak imports about the costs. The trucks have to be over 25 years old to be legal.

Maybe the thread needs moving as it's morphing into a rebuild or running repairs whilst 'wheeling' sort of thread.
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Drat- my Uk tow company and shipping lines exposed-lol ! No worries on the rain Ed. Mike was a delight to work with and far more cooperative and accomodating than most UK sellers-very solid truck for those who were wondering. Glad everyone was happy with the transaction.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Drat- my Uk tow company and shipping lines exposed-lol ! No worries on the rain Ed. Mike was a delight to work with and far more cooperative and accomodating than most UK sellers-very solid truck for those who were wondering. Glad everyone was happy with the transaction.
You too were good to work with.
Yep, the truck was solid, extensively dented, but solid.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
200tdi, 90, tdi