Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 11th, 2015, 12:51 PM
yankee
Bala
None

Registry
Defenders from down under?

1989 Land Rover Defender 110 Ex Australian Defense / Perentie

Since these Defenders down under have the Isuzu and not the standard LR engines, how do they comply with the original spec required for importing? Is the Isuzu considered a standard equipment for Defenders down under?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2015, 12:53 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Search with the key word perentie and you will find the answer to all your perentie questions.
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:21 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Search with the key word perentie and you will find the answer to all your perentie questions.
perenties hold their price pretty well too.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2015, 03:48 PM
yankee
Bala
None

Registry
Ok. Read a bunch of posts and articles and this s what i have gathered. Please let me know if i'm close to the truth.

They are considered factory spec even tho they have the isuzu engine and can be imported into the usa.

Perenties chassis and body are not exactly the same as the regular 110s. Essentially if i bought a perentie and needed a frame or broke an axle I cannot use replacement parts from a regular 110.

Also cannot get a soft top and try to fit the rest of the body and make it a station wagon with regular 110 body parts.

Most of them have the 4 speed gear box. Retro fitting them with 5 speed is a big job.

Other things like doors wothout locks etc are non-issue. Anything else big i may have missed?
Old October 12th, 2015, 04:00 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Most of them have the 4 speed gear box. Retro fitting them with 5 speed is a big job.
Unless you are switching to an ISUZU 5spd, don't. The LT95 is more than sufficient (if aggricultural). There are several engine options out there other than rover V8s, and the 2.5 diesel variants (NA, TD, 200Tdi, 300tdi td5 etc.). IMO, the 4BD1T is great. I love mine. The Perentie's are super cool.
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:01 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Anything else big i may have missed?
Maybe...if I recall correctly, the Perentie frames are galvanized, so that's an obvious plus. But, they're also all right-hand drive & those 4-speeds don't have rebuild kits available for them, whereas the 5-speeds do (for now, anyway).
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
those 4-speeds don't have rebuild kits available for them
?? I had no problems when I had mine rebuilt. Kits no, parts yes.
Old October 12th, 2015, 06:00 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
?? I had no problems when I had mine rebuilt. Kits no, parts yes.
I gladly stand corrected...I've got grinding downshifting into 2nd - got a parts source that you could turn me onto?
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Let me enlighten you a little on the Perenties....

Conversation in 1980's:

Aussie Army Bloke: Yeah G'day Mr Land Rover, the ADF are looking to buy a few hundred 110's and some other Landies, but we reckon we can put 'em together and everything, can you just ship us all the parts and stuff?

Yeah mate we don't any more frames, and definitely no engines or stuff. Whaddya reckon?

Mr Land Rover: oh I'm terribly sorry but you don't want our lovely frames and these fantastic 2.5 diesels and the new and improved 2.5 turbos! The turbo is the Bomb!

Aussie Army Bloke: nah mate, listen, we 'ave some pretty shitty conditions in Oz and figure you Pommie Wankers don't know shit when it comes to building trucks that can commute more than 5,000miles a yr so what we would like to do is build a truck based on the Landy that can last about 30yrs without two rebuilds. Oh, and we already tested the best diesel in the market so we'll be whackin the Isuzu in it. Ok mate?

Mr Land Rover; ok so basically you want exterior panels and interior trim?

Aussie Army Bloke: unmmmmm yeah mate... Oh and shipping em over in a big bloody palet or container is fine mate. Cause we'll whack em together with some good stainless shit that will last. You good?

Mr Land Rover: Oh thank you.

Aussie Army Bloke: oh by the way mate, we don't want any dealer support either. Figure we can take care of that, no worries mate. Cheers cobber. Catchya later.

That go amazingly well.
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Let me enlighten you a little on the Perenties.... Conversation in 1980's: Aussie Army Bloke: Yeah G'day Mr Land Rover, the ADF are looking to buy a few hundred 110's and some other Landies, but we reckon we can put 'em together and everything, can you just ship us all the parts and stuff? Yeah mate we don't any more frames, and definitely no engines or stuff. Whaddya reckon? Mr Land Rover: oh I'm terribly sorry but you don't want our lovely frames and these fantastic 2.5 diesels and the new and improved 2.5 turbos! The turbo is the Bomb! Aussie Army Bloke: nah mate, listen, we 'ave some pretty shitty conditions in Oz and figure you Pommie Wankers don't know shit when it comes to building trucks that can commute more than 5,000miles a yr so what we would like to do is build a truck based on the Landy that can last about 30yrs without two rebuilds. Oh, and we already tested the best diesel in the market so we'll be whackin the Isuzu in it. Ok mate? Mr Land Rover; ok so basically you want exterior panels and interior trim? Aussie Army Bloke: unmmmmm yeah mate... Oh and shipping em over in a big bloody palet or container is fine mate. Cause we'll whack em together with some good stainless shit that will last. You good? Mr Land Rover: Oh thank you. Aussie Army Bloke: oh by the way mate, we don't want any dealer support either. Figure we can take care of that, no worries mate. Cheers cobber. Catchya later. That go amazingly well.
Did anyone else read that in their heads in Bricktooth Tony Brit and Crocodile Dundee Aussie accents?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:25 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Let me enlighten you a little on the Perenties....

Conversation in 1980's:

Aussie Army Bloke: Yeah G'day Mr Land Rover, the ADF are looking to buy a few hundred 110's and some other Landies, but we reckon we can put 'em together and everything, can you just ship us all the parts and stuff?

Yeah mate we don't any more frames, and definitely no engines or stuff. Whaddya reckon?

Mr Land Rover: oh I'm terribly sorry but you don't want our lovely frames and these fantastic 2.5 diesels and the new and improved 2.5 turbos! The turbo is the Bomb!

Aussie Army Bloke: nah mate, listen, we 'ave some pretty shitty conditions in Oz and figure you Pommie Wankers don't know shit when it comes to building trucks that can commute more than 5,000miles a yr so what we would like to do is build a truck based on the Landy that can last about 30yrs without two rebuilds. Oh, and we already tested the best diesel in the market so we'll be whackin the Isuzu in it. Ok mate?

Mr Land Rover; ok so basically you want exterior panels and interior trim?

Aussie Army Bloke: unmmmmm yeah mate... Oh and shipping em over in a big bloody palet or container is fine mate. Cause we'll whack em together with some good stainless shit that will last. You good?

Mr Land Rover: Oh thank you.

Aussie Army Bloke: oh by the way mate, we don't want any dealer support either. Figure we can take care of that, no worries mate. Cheers cobber. Catchya later.

That go amazingly well.
I'm sure you know this, but the Isuzu was in rovers before the adf decided they wanted to Australian-ize the 110.

The real cool developments were with the 6x6 about how the original test vehicles were narrow bodies and that they made the 6x6 production trucks wide bodied with full galvy cabs.

They're cool trucks, don't seem to be catching on here like the Tithonus have, but probably for the best.

Parts for the LT95a can be expensive and harder to find, but they are out there, prices may come down as 3500 trucks are released to the public and will need servicing eventually.

Another fun fact is that in certain areas, the local Land Rover dealer would service these trucks, or so I have been told!
Old October 15th, 2015, 05:51 PM
yankee
Bala
None

Registry
Quote:
Unless you are switching to an ISUZU 5spd, don't. The LT95 is more than sufficient (if aggricultural). There are several engine options out there other than rover V8s, and the 2.5 diesel variants (NA, TD, 200Tdi, 300tdi td5 etc.). IMO, the 4BD1T is great. I love mine. The Perentie's are super cool.
What if the usage is non-agricultural? As in street and highway driven? I read some of your other posts but, would you be kind enough to describe your Perentie experience?

What about the body panels? Are the Perentie panels not the same as the UK ones in terms of measurements?
Old October 15th, 2015, 06:44 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
What if the usage is non-agricultural? As in street and highway driven? I read some of your other posts but, would you be kind enough to describe your Perentie experience?

What about the body panels? Are the Perentie panels not the same as the UK ones in terms of measurements?
My 110 is not a Perentie, however, it has the same engine and transmission (LT95 w/TRB conversion). By agricultural I meant that it is a relatively slow shifting transmission. IF one were to try rapid gear shifts, I suspect they will pre-maturely kill the synchros. Everyday, I run at highway speeds to/from work up the hill (976' gain over 6 miles). It runs at highway speeds (65-70 uphill) just fine.

I can't comment upon body panels.
Old October 15th, 2015, 08:23 PM
yankee
Bala
None

Registry
Quote:
My 110 is not a Perentie, however, it has the same engine and transmission (LT95 w/TRB conversion). By agricultural I meant that it is a relatively slow shifting transmission. IF one were to try rapid gear shifts, I suspect they will pre-maturely kill the synchros. Everyday, I run at highway speeds to/from work up the hill (976' gain over 6 miles). It runs at highway speeds (65-70 uphill) just fine.

I can't comment upon body panels.
Got it. Thank you!

------ Follow up post added October 15th, 2015 08:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Maybe...if I recall correctly, the Perentie frames are galvanized, so that's an obvious plus. But, they're also all right-hand drive & those 4-speeds don't have rebuild kits available for them, whereas the 5-speeds do (for now, anyway).
By frame you mean the chassis right? They are from what I gathered thru the research. I learnt driving on right hand drive stick shift and have pretty good experience with it. This is not a concern and I wouldn't convert to a LHD if I bought a RHD. Don't use drive thru at all and pay toll by ezpass.
Old October 15th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Ok. Read a bunch of posts and articles and this s what i have gathered. Please let me know if i'm close to the truth.

They are considered factory spec even tho they have the isuzu engine and can be imported into the usa.

Perenties chassis and body are not exactly the same as the regular 110s. Essentially if i bought a perentie and needed a frame or broke an axle I cannot use replacement parts from a regular 110.

Also cannot get a soft top and try to fit the rest of the body and make it a station wagon with regular 110 body parts.

Other things like doors wothout locks etc are non-issue. Anything else big i may have missed?
In a nutshell;
The Perentie was built by JLA (not Land Rover UK) and is as built so by definition is importable under the 25yr rule. The r380 conversion is fairly simple if that's what you want.
Lifting off the military body and setting a 5 door body on again is fairly straight forward. Converting to lhd, again straight forward just like a UK 110.

The most common mods are adding the turbo to the 110's since they were naturals, changing the ring and pinions to 3:54's so the trucks will do highway speeds, and adding power steering (kinda key with the heavy lump up front). I haven't had any trouble importing them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 16th, 2015, 09:44 AM
yankee
Bala
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
In a nutshell;
The Perentie was built by JLA (not Land Rover UK) and is as built so by definition is importable under the 25yr rule. The r380 conversion is fairly simple if that's what you want.
Lifting off the military body and setting a 5 door body on again is fairly straight forward. Converting to lhd, again straight forward just like a UK 110.

The most common mods are adding the turbo to the 110's since they were naturals, changing the ring and pinions to 3:54's so the trucks will do highway speeds, and adding power steering (kinda key with the heavy lump up front). I haven't had any trouble importing them.

Thanks Doug. Great info.
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:34 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
....changing the ring and pinions to 3:54's so the trucks will do highway speeds, and adding power steering (kinda key with the heavy lump up front). I haven't had any trouble importing them.
Only 6x6's were 4.71, all 4x4's were 3.54. RFSV's + SRV were geared down using 1.13 T-case vs the .996 on the rest of the lot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
defender