Defender 90-1994-help on value range? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

Defender 90-1994-help on value range?

I"m not sure what to do, but attached are pics of my d-90. I never drive it and it sits in my climate controlled building. some of the pics are after a wash, while a few show it dusty in the building. It's all original, essentially no rust except a few bolts, no rhino lining nonsense hiding dents, rust or blemishes, body is straight, all metal is visible for inspection, the front bumper (and i guess the rack at the same time) could be re-powder coated as you may see from one of the pictures. 5 speed, 135,000 miles, AC, runs and drives fine, the badger canvas is worn in some areas. suggestions on value if i decide to sell it? I"m thinking somewhere in the range of $29k? If i don't sell it, i will probably do a limited fix up with new top, powder coat, upgrade stereo and try to find time to drive it.

Thanks for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover 1.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	66604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover 2.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	66605  

Name:	Rover 3.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	66606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover 4.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	66607  

Name:	Rover 5.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	66608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover 6.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	66609  

Name:	Rover 7.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	66610  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I sold mine over a year ago for 25500 with a trailer included - so I would guess 29000 is on the high side but 20-25 should be the sweet spot in my opinion - I sold mine successfully on auto trader so I would consider all options for selling it

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=5811
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Does it have AC?
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
That rack is HUGE!!! If it needs nothing, then you may be able to get $29k, but I haven't seen too many hit that number with that many miles. I don't think that rack is doing much for you, as most will just see it and say "that won't fit in my garage" and move on from your truck. Also, does it have a rear bench and a full top? I'll assume no you don't have a bench, since I don't see belts attached to the cage. That usually knocks another $1-2k off of the top price range for a given truck, based purely on people wanting everything there when they go to buy. Trucks without rear bench and full tops tend to sit for sale a bit longer, as do trucks without A/C. I'd say in the current condition you're looking $24 at your upper upper range given the miles, but also taking into account how clean the paint looks.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
That rack is HUGE!!!
I had to go back and look again and wow that rack is tall to say the least. At my first glance my brain assumed it was the standard height but yeah thats not fitting in most garages although I never ran the backet up top other then when we needed it. Just cut a set of electrical conduit drill a couple holes in the end and give them to the new owner and say to run those to hold the ladder when not using the "monster basket" - correction "elephant cage"
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

It does have AC, and i have a back bench seat but have it out. I love the rack, my kids call in the 'elephant cage'. thanks

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2013 01:47 PM ------

btw, if i sell, should i do so as is, or first replace the top and powder coat? this is the only top
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I love the rack, my kids call in the 'elephant cage'.
It certainly is the elephant in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
btw, if i sell, should i do so as is, or first replace the top and powder coat? this is the only top
I can't see anything in the pics that necessarily neeeds powdercoating, so I don't see that giving you much bang for your buck. Most people are buying their trucks online these days without seeing them in person - you only supplied 2 larger pics that I could see some detail with, and in those the PC looked fine.

The most bang for your buck will be to replace or refinish your front headlight surrounds if they're faded, as well as the front grill if it is faded. If the front bull bar is visibly rusted, then take it off and have it refinished (if it's salvageable) - it'll cost maybe $250 tops to have done, but will also probably be something that adds value.

Keep the current top or replace it, but you're not going to get much bang for your buck there...you'll at best break even in value for something new. Look for a used FULL TOP on this board in nice condition, sell off your badger half cab here, and you'll end up ahead. Re-install rear bench seat, and belts if you have them.

Have it fully detailed, borrow one of your friends who is a photographer, or borrow a nice SLR camera and take some nice pics in a nice setting. Price it at $27-28k after those "improvements" and see what you get out of it.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
huibae
Harold Lee
Jon Snow Badge 1122

Registry
Scott,

PM sent
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO the mileage on a Defender is irrelevant. What matters more is rust and maintenance. A 200k mile truck with zero rust is worth much, much more than a 50k mile truck with rot all over the bulkhead, frame, and cage. I would venture to say an easy $8k difference on asking price depending on rust level.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
IMHO the mileage on a Defender is irrelevant. What matters more is rust and maintenance. A 200k mile truck with zero rust is worth much, much more than a 50k mile truck with rot all over the bulkhead, frame, and cage. I would venture to say an easy $8k difference on asking price depending on rust level.
I would have to agree with Ed, the truck is almost 20 years old...when will the norm for most D90s for sale be 130k+ miles? I mean you will always have the 15k-60k miles ones that are never driven to keep the high end of the price spectrum, but ultimately most trucks that are driven at least on occasion will be north of 130k miles in the near future. Does this mean they will become worth less with more miles over time? It's going to all start coming down to condition. In 2040, all of these trucks will have high miles, doesn't mean the value will decrease.

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2013 12:26 PM ------

I say 29k would be a great starting price if the frame and body are as good as you say. Good luck!
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

thanks
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I alway assume minimal rust and adjust the price downward from there.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
huibae
Harold Lee
Jon Snow Badge 1122

Registry
Scott, I'm in Indiana and not too far from you. Would love to see the truck for potential purchase.

Email me at huibae@gmail.com

Thx
H
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:47 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
I agree with Ed as well. If a vehicle is properly maintained, mileage isn't anything more than a buyers bargaining chip. A Defender isn't a Honda civic, the wheels won't fall off once you hit over 100,000 miles. The key is preventative maintenance, not ignoring "that mysterious noise" and keeping rust at bay. I have close to 200,000 km on my truck and it's in better shape than most at 50,000km.

It's for sale too....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43119
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0280REV.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	66992  
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

I just took a bunch of pics tonight and will download. basically, other than a surface smidge, and i mean a smidge, under the floor mats, , there isn't any real rust on the truck. bumpers need to be re-powder coated though. i'm rethinking this sale idea and instead considering just a new top and bumper re-coat. either way, i'm going to post pics hopefully tomorrow.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
It looks like it's back up for sale by those dealer friends of Daniel1 - Worldwide Vintage Autos - they want $38,000

SALDV2288RA940693

Mileage: 143,000 miles

http://www.worldwidevintageautos.com...-80205/5335785
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Funny looking auto trans.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Is it just me or does it seem like every vehicle that is sold ends up for sale by a dealer roughly a year later for $10k more?
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:49 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like every vehicle that is sold ends up for sale by a dealer roughly a year later for $10k more?
Yeah we've even seen an example of Daniel1 trying to flip a vehicle here for a ton of money (privately of course) before he'd even bought it. Imagine the actual owner's surprise when I asked him if his truck was for sale and he said, um no why? but proceeded to tell me how he'd been contacted by Daniel1 trying to get him to sell him his truck.

I'm sure we have dealers privately poaching here all the time, I just hope that users make the admins aware when we have sketchier people trying to pull crap like that. We don't need a few users ruining the reputation of the rest of us on this board. Most of us are just genuinely trying to help one another out, and others are only here to try to get some extra cash in their pockets, and will say anything to do so.
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

Is it just me or does the rack basket look odd, like it's too tall. I dunno looks funny

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1994, 90, defender, defender 90