Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Bigdoh
Brian
94 D90 #1642

D90 for sale Cali

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...US_Cars_Trucks

Buyer beware! Flew out to see this one in October. Great photos showing all the parts that weren't rusted! Must have rubbed her down with Vaseline for that shine, which wasn't present in person.

well used, not abused but rust has found a new home! Door bottoms rusted through, rear bumper underside all rust , frame easily 50% rusted most through and through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
That this definitely looks like a polished turd. Maybe its just me, but those photos look like the contrast has been adjusted.
Old January 25th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I went out to Cali to look over a few Defenders last week. All but one where beyond misrepresented. The decent one in Sherman Oaks was a nice vehicle, but was black, not so good for off road, at least for me. The owner was super nice. One in Irvine wasn't so bad, but the owner was beyond flaky. He couldn't seem to be able to show up at a notary with the title. Then he emails me that he could deliver it, right. Another in San Diego has tranny problems and amateur body work. Then the cool Arles blue one in Pt. Loma sold while I was driving down to look at it. Then there was one in Anaheim that you could stick your finger through the rear door. There where a couple of others that the owners where in a parallel universe in pricing, just short of 100 large.

Then some clown in Colorado flames me for requesting information on his 95 Defender. Obviously a masters degree in marketing attached to that one. So I went full circle and bought the one in Scottsdale, a few more bucks, low miles and no rust. Best part, a decent seller who was straight up and helpful. Took, all in all three weeks to find a decent Defender 90. probably ended up looking at 10 physically and about 25 in ads and pics. Lots of folks have a strange idea that a lot of iron oxide and high milage, "its just the transfer case", no big deal, equate to big dollars.

On a funny note, I brought some tools along to check out the vehicles, along with a code scanner and other items to do compression and such. So my checked bag got a little heavy from a bit of shopping along with the tools. So I took about 5 of my combination wrenches and stuck them in my backpack. Well TSA at Orange County, flagged my backpack for search. The lass walks up and says "sir, your tool is over 7" long." I reply, "ask my wife, but I don't think it is." They all burst out laughing, they do have a sense of humor. Unfortunately it didn't extend to the wrenches. I had to go back to the gate, put them in a little box, check it, pay $35 and then I could board.

I used up some of my "free" tickets from the ridicules amount of miles I have on various airlines. It seems, "free" with the airlines now equates to around $100-150 for a "free" ticket, fees and such. The ticket to Orange Count was $174 if I just went and bought it.

Well I'm happy, finally, but if your looking at the moment, be prepared to see a lot of "ready for restoration" Defenders. It would be fine if their price reflected their crappy condition, but they don't. Truly, that guy in Irvine was stranger than science. Couldn't give him full price, cash no less. He seemed about 10,000 neurons short of a gecko brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2014, 04:16 AM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

Hey James, sounds like you were busy.
I would have mentioned to you to come out on a Saturday (irvine cars and coffee) I went last week and saw 4 d90s, two of which were for sale. But it's good that you were able to see so many in a relatively short time and buy that one in Az. Congrats
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

No pictures of your new Baby?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Sure, its from his ad, I haven't taken it out for a photo shoot. I've been doing the OCD thing replacing a bunch of small trim parts, installing a new stereo with bluetooth (I must be dreaming of hands free actually working over the roar). The master cylinder reservoir also decided to leak when it went from the comfortable 70's to 17. That was easy but messy.

I had to troubleshoot a weird one. So I put in the new stereo wiring along with a USB to the dash and a Mic (!), from the console to the dash. I go and clean up the wing loom an wrap everything un neat. Well the the shift interlock solenoid wouldn't disengage. Then no start. Finally I dust off my copy of RAVE and look at the diagrams. So I trace it to the purple green line. It was blowing fuse 17 (rave said 18, but it was wrong). Somehow, my tie wrapping caused it to short. So I had to replace that line from the brake switch to the shifter, joy.

The other change was headlights and a relay system, went to Hella H4's, always liked them. So it came home with me and has lived in the garage as the parts train has been chugging from east to west. Last part comes in on Monday. Then I have to hop in my plane and fly down to the mine in Mexico on tuesday. So it will be a week or so until I get new pics.

At least my wife likes this one. She loathed and despised my 76 series III diesel. She thinks its cute. Besides she really didn't want me thrashing the Range Rover in the field any more.

So this is as bought:
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Nice. Good story!
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:44 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
What a great read, and funny too. It's refreshing to read stories like this on here.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:21 AM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
That 97 sure looked nice - funny that who I assume is the guy you bought it from had just joined and posted it as his last week here saying it wasn't the one for sale on craigslist using that pic:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51049
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Nice find! And a great looking truck.
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:42 AM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

When the prior post referenced the car on Craigslist, I was assuming it was referencing when I purchased the car last summer. I was lucky enought to have this truck while working on another project.

James is the nicest person I have ever met and it was a pleasure selling him my D90. I have never met someone that knows more about Defenders in general. I would describe him as Indiana Jones, what an interesting life he has!
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:50 AM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

James, you will enjoy the bluetooth (Half sarcastic) The PO of my defender installed a nice Sony Head Unit that has the front USB port for charging phones, devices which is nice.

The bluetooth works well, and since I have a soft top like yours, if I'm at a light, I always get a look from other drivers because the voice of the person I'm speaking with comes across quite loud.

Sometimes I'll use the bluetooth for music too which is convenient for the quick trips down to the corner.

Enjoy your new D90
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:24 PM
nflory
Nate
1997/Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdoh View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...US_Cars_Trucks

Buyer beware! Flew out to see this one in October. Great photos showing all the parts that weren't rusted! Must have rubbed her down with Vaseline for that shine, which wasn't present in person.

well used, not abused but rust has found a new home! Door bottoms rusted through, rear bumper underside all rust , frame easily 50% rusted most through and through.

This is in marina del Rey. Thanks for letting me know. I won't waste my time.
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:20 AM
nflory
Nate
1997/Defender 90 ST

Drove by it the other day and some guy was sitting inside of it smoking. This was on the lot!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles