D90 For Porsche Carrera - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

rather pick mud out of stainless than rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
i look forward to testing that theory.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Me too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
People still wear watches?
Whats a watch?
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post
Whats a watch?
I can't stand wearing watches myself. I tried years ago and I found I would always take it off and leave it in the car or desk - just feels very weird on and gets in the way when working on stuff. Same thing with rings or anything else.

Besides, the mobile always has the correct time and I always need to have that with me and definitely no phone holster.
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I can't stand wearing watches myself. I tried years ago and I found I would always take it off and leave it in the car or desk - just feels very weird on and gets in the way when working on stuff. Same thing with rings or anything else.

Besides, the mobile always has the correct time and I always need to have that with me and definitely no phone holster.
For me, when the sun comes up, its time to get up, and when it goes down the day is over, nothing in between that matters in my life, and if it does in yours, than I,m sorry for you. The money wasted on a rolex would be better spent on a lift or lockers or a trip to Costa Rica or something. Besides how many sub mariners( people not model) are out there?
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well are we really going to get in an argument on the value of things. If we did that then you should wear a timex and drive a toyota FJ as in reality both will run better than a rolex or a land rover and the FJ will be better off road. You ever watch the FJ do the baja? No way a stock defender could handle that. Not the point though. The point is we buy what we like because it holds some value to us. Yes I have a rolex on my wrist right now. It is a 1977 GMT with a matte dial and plastic crystal. I can go through the value of each of these things and why it is collectible just as you can tell me why a diesel defender is better than a 3.9. Value is subjective on all the crap the people like on this board.
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
you should wear a timex and drive a toyota FJ as in reality both will run better than a rolex or a land rover and the FJ will be better off road. You ever watch the FJ do the baja?

Barry,
Did you not watch the special Top Gear Bolivia? The FJ sucked ass.
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Only because donkey came broken!
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Well are we really going to get in an argument on the value of things. If we did that then you should wear a timex and drive a toyota FJ as in reality both will run better than a rolex or a land rover and the FJ will be better off road. You ever watch the FJ do the baja? No way a stock defender could handle that. Not the point though. The point is we buy what we like because it holds some value to us. Yes I have a rolex on my wrist right now. It is a 1977 GMT with a matte dial and plastic crystal. I can go through the value of each of these things and why it is collectible just as you can tell me why a diesel defender is better than a 3.9. Value is subjective on all the crap the people like on this board.
O yeah, I agree. I didn't mean to harsh on high end watches - I just don't like wearing them. My wife has some nice pieces including a Rolex and I think the workmanship, look and feel is very very cool. And they do look great when she wears them. If I had a slick finance job or was at the CC a lot more hitting a little white ball around I'd probably own one but like my Defender I'm usually pretty dirty

Just like discodog said, I'd rather buy some parts for the 90, or parts for one of my mtn bikes or spend the money on a trip to ride some deep snow. Like you said value is subjective but I still think overall a lot of the people that own Defenders have very similar tastes and values as someone mentioned.
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah it is funny. I wonder how many people on the boards like the following:
watches
mountain bikes
porsches
and remote control cars
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
watches
mountain bikes
porsches
and remote control cars
No on watches. Own several that sit in a drawer.
Yes on mountain bike.
Dad had a 930 turbo slant nose growing up. Loved it but I went the Corvette C6 blown 700hp route.
Remote control cars rule.
Disco driver by choice over a newer Rangie
And I love you too
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

I wear a Rolex Sea-Dweller everyday,everywhere. It leads a hard life, but that is what it is made for. It spends lots of time underwater and in mud and sand. I wore it during Trek back in '99. Like my yellow d-90, I have had it for over ten years, and they are both worth at least as much as I paid for them. Of course, the maintenance on both is not cheap.
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Speedmaster guy myself. The vintage rolex (70ish daytona) never leaves the safe.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I ,
wear a Tmex Submariner
have a Volswagen Beetle ( same thing as a Porsche )
no mountain bikes ( too lazy for it ) although have a Cr500 at the farm
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I ,
wear a Tmex Submariner
have a Volswagen Beetle ( same thing as a Porsche )
no mountain bikes ( too lazy for it ) although have a Cr500 at the farm
I ,
A. Sold my Rolex sub mariner after wearing it for years framing houses ect, never took it off and it showed it, but I will say it kept good time( when I occasionally looked at it) Went to a Tag when sport fishing ( the fish seemed to like that one), now I can't even find it around here.
B. Owned and sold 4 911's
C. Like squirting Testors model cement on radio cars and boats , and lighting them on fire, this is true fun.
D. Own a few Trek mountain bikes and do actually use them once in a while, I like the Fuel 95 the best, and it almost still looks like one thru the cob webs covering it., And have had several KTM's and know how to ride them too.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
watches
mountain bikes
porsches
and remote control cars
Watches - see above - appreciate them but not for me

MTN Bikes - lifelong off road bike obsession some footy from this past summer and fall: http://i45.tinypic.com/zoci.jpg, , As weird as it sounds, I think riding a MTB helps with driving the Defender - you have to know how to pick lines and throttle control and tire traction. Plus I've used my mtb to scope trails in the past.

Porsches - would love to have one - the closest I've gotten are some Audi's I needed the wagon/sedan and Quattro capabilities.

RC Cars - have one in the back room. Just got the kids a go-kart which is a bigger version of it - does that count?
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Panerai_Pete
SW. Snow
1996 Disco XD

I would and do as well!

Quote:
yeah I would be. These things are tool watches. Made out of stianless steel. why not

I agree 100% about wearing the GMT or Sub while playing in the mud, or what ever I do. I try to snowboard as often as possible, and I have no issues wearing my GMT, or my base Panerai's. I have a few Panerai's and out of them there are only two of the Panerai's that I do not normally wear while snowboarding or skateboarding, and that is my Panerai 63C (1 of 80 I have #60) Nor do I wear my Panerai 212 which is a lefty style watch, the reason being is that it is a tad bit more difficult to replace those two. But otherwise my general rule is if I cannot wear it to play in, there is no point in me buying it.

Ironically, with this being said, my younger brother who happens to be the most anal person in the world when it comes to his watches, won't even wear his Sub to bed. He is so terrified of scratching it that he actually bought a 65k machine for his company that was made purely to polish metal. (He owns a machining company. And it really wasn't just to polish his watch, but I always tease him about the machine.) He has taken a few of my watches in to get rid of the scratches for me, and does an amazing job. But in my eyes the dings and scratches add character to the watch. I just have never freaked out about this kind of thing.

I will admit though, when I park my Porsche in a parking lot, I always park as far away from people as I can. And the rule is that no matter where I park, the two shittiest cars in the lot will park right next to me? At least so far I have no major or minor dents in my 911.

I will never understand why that rule applies? Why is it when you have a nice car, the people with the bangers always want to stress your day by parking right next to you?

------ Follow up post added February 13th, 2010 12:06 AM ------

Quote:
BJF, if you ever send your GMT in to Rolex for a Cleaning, because your watch is more valuable right now with the plastic crystal and the face that it currently has. I have a 1982 GMT, and thought I would be smart and send it to Rolex for an over haul....they do a great job and when it came back it looked like a different watch, but they replaced the face and the crystal. Collectors are more likely to buy your watch in the condition it is currently is in then if you have it "Cleaned and swapped".

The cleaning and what not that Rolex does costs about $600 but as I said, they basically re-build the watch. When I got mine back I didn't even recognize it, I thought they were showing me a new watch to compare mine, and then they said no, this is yours. I couldn't believe how great it looked? But yours should have and correct me if I am wrong, a flat face with the numbers looking like they were painted on with the luminescent. That was what my 1982 looked like before I sent it, when I got it back it had the new style face, ie luminescent with steel around the numbers and what not. It looks great, but it doesn't have that old school Rolex look.

For the record, if you ever look up the value you will see what I mean about the face and crystal swap dropping the value. It isn't by a huge amount, but it is enough so that you can tell.

Stay muddy!
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:38 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

stumbled on this conversation -

humm - porsche 964 seem to go well with the defender's ( i have a 92' Cup Usa and a 59' 356 myself)
I also have an addition to Rolex watch's as well, my daily is a SS 116520 (v). Funny the similarities in this crowd.
I wear it while working on the truck as well, my wife took over my Sub

Don't change the crystal on your watch!

I don't worry about dings too much since i raced the 964 for years and rebuilt once already - its coming up on a refresh again soon (maybe a 3.8 or 4.0L to replace the RS engine in it).

Glad you sold the 88' Nice years for a 911. I keep thinking about an 89' turbo but will probably go for a 965 though since i have so much 964 stuff (hammer, tools, etc.)

i sold off all my 1:5th scale FG cars when my daughters were born - fun but not something that was a passion for me (unlike Karts or racing in general).

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d90