Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 11th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Bonfirebeachkids
John Moore
1986 D 90

Registry
D 90 For Sale in California

Hey All - I purchased my dream D90 from Land Rovers UK three months ago (January 2014)... it's a 1986 Diesel engine right hand drive without all the bells and whistles. Just clean and super fun to drive. Only problem is that I just found out that I won't be able to register her as-is in California. I've spent many hours at the DMV and CHP only to get the dreaded letter from Sacramento stating the technicality that will not allow me to register her. But I hear this is not a problem in all other 49 states? She cost me about 29K and then I had to pay California taxed of another 3K and installed seat belts in the back seats for my kids. So I am hoping to get 33 - 35K to break even plus buyer pays for shipping unless they pick her up in LA. She's a right hand drive diesel engine. The whole family is very sad to see her go, but I also don't have the patience to deal with the registration process any longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 12:33 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

You'll have more luck if you post a bunch of pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 11th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Can you not register it in California because it has just been imported and not previously registered in another state? Might want to check into that. Not sure, but I have heard mixed things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Shame you didn't find this site before. You would have discovered that fact before you laid out any cash.
Since you haven't posted pictures can't say what true value of it is, but much less than what you are asking.

Much less.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
So California still collected $3k in state sales taxes at the DMV during the registration process? I hope you could find away to get that back.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2014 07:17 AM ------

Also, do you mind sharing who handled the importation? Would think that party as well as the outfit you purchased it from would have been versed in CA regulations related to registering Defenders by now. Sorry for your hassles.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
So California still collected $3k in state sales taxes at the DMV during the registration process? I hope you could find away to get that back. ------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2014 07:17 AM ------ Also, do you mind sharing who handled the importation? Would think that party as well as the outfit you purchased it from would have been versed in CA regulations related to registering Defenders by now. Sorry for your hassles.
Exactly what I was thinking. Plus at $33k without any bells and whistles and still RHD, you should have looked into buying one of the NAS D90s that many of us have here that were originally imported into the US back in the 90's.
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:06 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Since you haven't posted pictures can't say what true value of it is, but much less than what you are asking.

Much less.
Is this necessary? John will surely discover the true value of his truck when he sells it. It's not appropriate to comment on pricing in a For Sale thread unless the seller is asking for opinions.

/
/
/
/
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:34 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Can you not register it in California because it has just been imported and not previously registered in another state? Might want to check into that. Not sure, but I have heard mixed things.
Per my conversation when I bought mine the dmv said no way to directly register in ca but If it had a title from another state it was just another used car

Of course still a crap shoot at the dmv even then

The trick might be to register it in another state then bring it here just saying

BUY SOME HATS --->

Old May 11th, 2014, 01:44 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
All - please open another thread if you wish to 'discuss' this ... the for-sale is simply as described ... items for sale. The owner is not requesting opinions, valuation or advice.

Thanks
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
To the seller:

What Diesel engine is in it?

Pictures will go a long way in helping a sale along.

Old May 11th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Bonfirebeachkids
John Moore
1986 D 90

Registry
I'm happy to post more pics, but since I am new on this site, I am not quite sure how it works. And yes, I've considered registering her in Arizona and then trying to transfer, but I am told that will not work any longer. I will try and work out posting pics shortly...
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:40 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Don't bother trying to register somewhere else. That won't work.

CA DMV is now really on the lookout for gray market Defenders. They are illegal under CARB regulations, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Old May 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Bonfirebeachkids
John Moore
1986 D 90

Registry
navydevildoc thanks for the clarity. I won't bother with Arizona. Do you have any idea how long these California Carb regulations have been enforced? When I did the transaction in January Land Rovers UK and my importer told me I would have no issues. They said because my truck was a diesel, that I was exempt. I guess I am going to be one of those sad cases you hear about...

Anyway, I am being told the truck should have no issues being registered in the other 49 states. Do you know if this is fact?
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:11 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Yes, you will have pretty much no problem in any other state. But you will NOT be able to bring it into the golden state.

Anyone who told you that a non-NAS defender was legal in California either lied to you, or didn't know what they are talking about. It's never been legal, but the strict enforcement really started about a year ago. When people talk about them "being exempt" they are thinking of smog checks, which is completely different than being emissions compliant for import.

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:52 AM
l.a.rover
handy andy
73 Land Rover 88 Lightweight

Registry
Carb....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfirebeachkids View Post
navydevildoc thanks for the clarity. I won't bother with Arizona. Do you have any idea how long these California Carb regulations have been enforced? When I did the transaction in January Land Rovers UK and my importer told me I would have no issues. They said because my truck was a diesel, that I was exempt. I guess I am going to be one of those sad cases you hear about...

Anyway, I am being told the truck should have no issues being registered in the other 49 states. Do you know if this is fact?

Carb is here to stay... the emission laws are just getting started! Dmv enacted a new law this year which require used cars up to 1968... meet carb emission require ments....

i feel your pain bonefire... i had to sell my d110 cause of the new law! click below to read more about it...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/app...af/hs43600.htm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d 90, for sale