Custom 2000 Disco 2 4BD1T diesel, NV 5 speed, trade for D90. - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
brp
Brian Peterson
2000 Diesel Discovery

I picked the Disco up in LA on Saturday, now we are at Zion National Park. It has been a great ride so far with two minor exceptions I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out with. They are:

1) There is oil dripping off the transfer case and it is kind of splattered around on it, the underside of the floor and the first bit of the rear drive shaft. It appears to be engine oil, black and does not smell like diffential fluid at least. I don't know what T-case fluid smells like. There is a blow by hose for the engine oil off the valve cover that outlets near the T case, so I quaratined that to see if the T-case aquires any new drips. Seems plausible, but that oil would have to be really coming out with some velocity to make it to the t-case. I can see a drip off the blow by hose, so it has had something coming out. I have been going 70mph over mountains, so it is demanding driving. EGT's are 1250f or less.
The engine oil level is right on the money from the dipstick. I am new to Rovers, is it safe to assume that the T-case has clear(ish) lube in it?
The cars seems to be driving fine, it is a noisy thing, so it is hard to pick out any changes in sound.
I am gonna have it checked out for peace of mine at least. If anybody can make a recommendation for a garage between Zion Utah and Denver, I would appreciate it, that is basically Hwy 15 to Hwy 70, if I recall correctly.

2) When I put fuel in the filler backs up so I gotta put it in really slow manually. Not a big deal, but seems like there is an obstruction in the filler neck or something.

Thanks in advance everybody, any suggestions/ideas are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry

Unfortunately, this is usual for a D2

I wonder if the truck will have any trouble getting registered/inspected in CO... I know no trouble doing it in NC.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Rover dealer in Boulder is excellent in a bind. That is if you can't find another mechanic along the way. T-case fluid is usually clearish until it wears or lets water in. Check the t-case fluid level by undoing the 1/2"plug on the back of the t-case, about mid way up. Fluid should be level when this plug is undone. And you can check the color. Lube is 75-90w.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
brp
Brian Peterson
2000 Diesel Discovery

Ok, thanks a lot guys. I'll check the level in the morning and if it is good, I will roll on to Boulder or somewhere. Can I get that drain plug off with a crescent wrench, or do I need a socket? Also, the "back" of the case, is that side/face the rear driveshaft is coming off?

If I find that the case is full of black fluid, should I get that changed ASAP, or do you think it could wait till I am home? About that, home is Minneapolis. We don't have emissions testing.

Again, thanks guys for all the help, I'm in the hotel lobby with no tools or anything, so it is great to get some quick feeback and such.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes on the rear of the case. You need a half inch ratchet drive. If you find black fluid it would be a good idea to drain/refill and it is a easy job. But somehow I expect this won't be your leak.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM
brp
Brian Peterson
2000 Diesel Discovery

I don't think that it is the T-case either, but I don't know. I am taking it to a 4x4 shop in St. George Utah tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what I learn and give a yea or nay for the garage. It is only a 20 mile drive or so and it looks like nothing is dripping while the truck is parked, so its not like I am loosing fluid all night. Please keep shooting thoughts my way if you have any. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix, or maybe there is no problem at all if it is the blow by tube, and I will be crusin' the Rockies tomorrow.

So about the filler neck, any of you guys mess with that to get good flow? Is there a screen in there blocking the path or maybe a plugged vent? When I get home and it is really F-in cold I am not gonna wanna stand outside doing that dance.

Thanks again for all the knowledge.
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

The filler is simply a matter of the hose going into the tank being almost a right angle - it's the way it's positioned in there. There is not a lot you can do about it. I did my best to make it as smooth as possible. I thought about cutting the body panel out of the way a little and that could be done so the hose would not take so much of a turn. I learned to live with it and you'll find the sweet spot as far as flow and it's not that bad. The biggest problem is if you are using the bigger size diesel nozzle's as they have a hard time flowing less than 1 million gallons per second.

As for the drip - the breather will let out a bit, but it shouldn't be that much. It was little enough that I didn't bother with a catch can. Never noticed any real amount.

I understand the guy who you got it from had the fluids changed? (I had been emailing him about stuff and he mentioned that) I had put Amsoil in everything right before i sold it so all the fluids would have had less than 10K miles on them.

I did not reseal the t-case when I had it as it didn't leak. My guess is that if it's not a lot of oil it's the breather - highway driving I would bet she'd make a bit of vapor. Even a 1/4 of a quart of engine oil mixed with a little soot and moisture from the engine will make a bit of a mess underneath.

Hope she's treating you well overall. I am curious what the last owner changed and tweaked since last time I talked with him I gave him a huge list of things *I* would have done had I had time before the sale to Red Mountain Rovers. There were/are a whole bunch of things that "should" be done, but I'm a little obsessive/compulsive!

Doug
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
brp
Brian Peterson
2000 Diesel Discovery

Thanks Doug for the info. I wrote a long reply last night, it didn't post for some reason. Anyway, the transmission is "smoked." That is how the here in Grand Junction, CO garage describes it. I thought it was an NV 4500, they say it is an NV 3500. What is the real story? Thanks Doug.
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug

I have a hard time believing it's smoked.... but then again I guess the clutch was shot when the guy in Cali got it from RMR. He told me he had the clutch replaced and the trans "gone over". I have NO idea what has happened to the poor truck from when it left me and got to you.

This is all 2nd hand info but: I understand from the guy in Cali who bought it from RMR that when he got it the clutch was bad, the hood liner material was missing and he stated it looks like it had gotten REALLY hot under the hood. There were melted things, scorched hoses etc. I never saw pics, so again this is all 2nd hand. Maybe the truck driver/delivery company beat the sh!t out of her? No idea.

I was very clear all along with anyone interested in buying the truck that it was a New Venture 3500. RMR kept referring to it as a 4500, I corrected them many times. It's an easy mistake as everyone knows the 4500 and your brain latches onto it I guess. The guy in Cali was even under the impression it was a 4500.... crikey.

The NV3500 is a decent transmission - no not as rugged as a 4500, but fine as long as it's driven with a brain and not cranked up on power too much. They do "clatter" a bit with the inline diesel, you will hear some gear clatter at idle or when coasting etc. This is normal. Also BE SURE someone didn't put the wrong fluid in it!!!! They are sensitive and that could kill it pretty quickly. When I sold it I had Amsoil in everything, nothing leaked and everything was working 100% - I would have driven it across country myself with not a single hesitation.

I used it at the "Winter Romp" a month or so before the sale, plenty of people can attest to seeing how well it ran and worked.

By the way my brother-in-law lives in Grand Junction if you need any help I'd be happy to call him. He works for the Grand Junction fire dept full time. I'm sure he'd be happy to help if you need it.

Doug
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Other than the oil leak, is there any driving problems with the gearbox? How can it be "smoked" if it is driving fine?
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Can someone define "smoked" please?
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

Smoked is what I recall see Cheech & Chong do in their movies.

I'd be really interested in why the garage thinks is "smoked" and exactly what is wrong. It's possible the rear seal is bad or something and it's leaking fluid out between the trans and t-case? Or if it's shifting poorly and a little more noisy than it should be I would bet someone put the wrong fluid in it. Easy to do..... if they thought it was a 4500 and put 75-90 Gl4 in it that will really make the 3500 operate like sh!t and probably would kill it. The 3500 uses a 5w-30 syncromesh fluid.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:52 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

Doug, Its all your fault..

You let the poor girl go, and now look at her!

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Moab rally vids 2010
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug

I know, I know - I feel awful for her. I loved her and then left her.

Poor girl.

I have been emailing the new owner, I guess the trans wouldn't shift and really was having big issues. I still think someone put the wrong fluid in it - but have no idea.

I feel really bad for everyone involved, but then again it's a custom truck and they are always a bugger to work with. Brian seems to be taking it well and seems like a good guy so I think she's in good hands. Not sure about the shop he's at though.... but it's almost impossible to diag or comment on something like this 2000 miles away behind a laptop computer.

Doug
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nv4500

End of story
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:42 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its entirely plausible that some party who intended to have the truck a short time simply went out and played hard with it. Always sucks when trucks turn over quickly, because its a great opportunity for lots of abuse.

Old January 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Brian has bigger problems now, but the fuel filler problem can be easily fixed.
I had the same issue with my D2, it's the "tube that goes inside the tube" that
is probably disconnected. There is a long and not so shitty explanation on dweb.
At least that was the fault in my case, shippers got the filler pipe open to take out gas excess
and did not make sure to have the smaller tubing inside the bigger pipe connected.
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

I mentioned to him that if he has to rebuild or replace the trans he'd be better off with a NV4500. It will be a bit more work to get the shifter to line up and such - one of the reasons I didn't use one - but in the end if he's paying a shop the difference in price will be marginal.

I miss the truck.

Doug
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

If anyone has filled up a diesel, it is quite common for diesel to bubble up shut off the nozzle. I had this happen all the time on my 110 which had a pretty straight tube. It's the nature of beast. Diesel likes to bubble. I always clicked it on the lowest flow and it was fine. Add that to the fact a gasoline D2 does almost the same thing with gas, you've got 2 strikes of the bat against you. The 3rd strike is a gas bump with no lock on the nozzle, because the gas companies think we're too stupid to use them.
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Brian sorry for your troubles. There is nothing worse than buying a new vehicle and being all excited and then it breaks down, sucks. Good luck with the repair. hope it turns out to be something less than a tranny overhaul.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
2000, 90, d90, diesel, disco