Custom 2000 Disco 2 4BD1T diesel, NV 5 speed, trade for D90. - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Red Mountain Rovers just sold it a couple of months ago, I guess to this guy. Truck must be hard to live with or something. Nobody keeps it very long. sure looks like a nice conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
It wont pass smog thats why he is selling it.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

He had issues with it passing Cali regs to register her. I spoke with him for a while about it. He loves the truck, but it's a special beast.....

I do miss her, good truck. But I am still trying to get into a D90 or something along those lines. It will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Too bad for the current owner.

You'll get your 90! Good luck with your quest.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

If my beast of an International would sell I'd have the 90.....

Doug.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM
atmooney
Alan Mooney
none

Hey good luck with your quest Doug! I'm on a similar mission, myself... Also I just had to comment because my wife and I LOVE MDI and Acadia! I am a carpenter, but moving on due to a lower back issue, but always felt I would love to build boats, as I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist at times... Good luck, and when we head up there again, I'll look for a guy in a D90! :D
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
It wont pass smog thats why he is selling it.
aren't diesels exempt from smog inspection in California? seems to me if the title says "diesel" it shouldn't be a problem. I'm missing something.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
aren't diesels exempt from smog inspection in California? seems to me if the title says "diesel" it shouldn't be a problem. I'm missing something.
Not at all. It's an after 1996 OBD2 vehicle that was never available with a diesel in the USA so it's a NO-GO in any way shape or form as far as the Feds (and many States) are concerned.

Also the fact that it is a "medium duty" diesel installed in a "light duty passenger" vehicle is another strike against it. It will never be "legal" for on the road use - end of story. Can you "get it by" in many States, yes.

I built it personally and sold it with the VERY clear understanding and bill of sale that it was an offroad truck, not to be used on the road. What the buyer(s) did/do with it is their deal.

Doug
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
Not at all. It's an after 1996 OBD2 vehicle that was never available with a diesel in the USA so it's a NO-GO in any way shape or form as far as the Feds (and many States) are concerned.

Also the fact that it is a "medium duty" diesel installed in a "light duty passenger" vehicle is another strike against it. It will never be "legal" for on the road use - end of story. Can you "get it by" in many States, yes.

I built it personally and sold it with the VERY clear understanding and bill of sale that it was an offroad truck, not to be used on the road. What the buyer(s) did/do with it is their deal.

Doug
Hi Doug, I don't doubt that it was difficult to register. I should have been clearer in saying that the reason isn't simply because it wouldn't pass smog in CA (responding to phoenix37's post); diesels are exempt from smog inspection in California. The reasons it can't be registered are the ones you stated above.

It's an awesome truck regardless. Nice work.
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
That is a better explanation than the one i was given originally which was it wouldnt pass smog.
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug

It won't pass smog because going by the VIN it is a gas truck.... that is what they go by. It WILL get plugged in and/or "sniffed" and FAIL completely. I have heard of people swapping light duty diesels into passenger cars and getting special exceptions. These are swaps using a much newer computer controlled diesel, cat-converters etc etc. If you can show that it's actually a LESS polluting vehicle you can sometimes get it passed. This costs a LOT of $$ to do and there is no way to be sure it will in fact pass.

The motor in my old Disco is a medium duty engine and the Feds make it VERY clear that motor will NEVER be legal and can NEVER be OK'ed in a light duty passenger vehicle - ever - end. Period.

If it was an older (non OBD2) *OR* a vehicle that *can* have a diesel installed (one that was originally available with a diesel, for example a 2000 VW Jetta originally with a gas engine and swapped over to same vintage and smog legal TDi) then it would either have a new VIN assigned to it or a sticker/plaque placed on it by the Feds/State stating a legal and inspected swap.

There is no easy way to get by this these days... for good reason for the most part.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM
brp
Brian Peterson
2000 Diesel Discovery

I bought it! Had been looking at it since it was originally for sale on this board. Can't wait to pick it up or ship it, have not figured that out yet. Hope the Disco is up for it, cause I plan on taking it all around North America this summer, including the Dalton Highway and many other beautiful places. I'll post a picture of me in it with a huge shit grin on my face! Thanks guys, especially Roving Beetle, just felt like sharing my excitement.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Congrats

Get on a plane and pick her up. Don't have it shipped
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Spectacular... What a great ending for a great truck.

Old January 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug

Glad you got it!

I guess it was pretty screwed up when he got it from Red Mountain? Two sides to ever story so I really don't mean to indicate they sold it to him wrongly or anything - no idea. I do know he claimed to have done a bunch of stuff to it. I have been emailing him back and forth helping him with stuff. He seems like a really nice guy.

I have a few misc parts you may be interested in.... and if i can help just let me know. Obviously I sold it as-is a couple owners ago and don't want to play babysitter too much, but i want to see it cared for too!

Doug
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:19 AM
brp
Brian Peterson
2000 Diesel Discovery

Thanks. I'll send you an email about the parts you've got around. He just told me that the clutch was bad and it was replaced and the trans and t-case were looked at. I really appreciate you staying involved. So here is my first question, do you know what year the engine is? I am looking into WVO conversion options. There are some nice choices for the 5.9 Dodge Cummins and I think the 4BD1T is just about the same as the Cummins 4BD, which is the 4 cyl. version of the 5.9 Cummins. Those systems might be made to work if I can't get an exact kit. Thanks again Roving Beetle. I got a Rover today!!!!
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

The 4BD1T uses an inline "Diesel Kikki" pump, more or less the same as the Bosch pump on the Cummins. VERY easy to use with WVO. It will be a simple conversion.

The engine is a 1989, had about 95K miles on it I think, so maybe 100K or so now. Hardly broken in yet.

If he didn't do it the diesel pump timing was off a little and had a slight vibration at around 2K RPM. I am quite sure it's the timing, but not 100%. Also the turbo exhaust housing is a little too big, I think it's 1.00 AR and really should be about a .55 to .65 AR. Just a heads up. I had plans to change this stuff but it sold so fast i didn't have a chance.

Doug
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

In GA I took my converted diesel 1996 Discovery to an emmissions test center and they verified that it was now a diesel. GA then changed the title to read diesel engine as if it had never been a gas engine. Awesome! I did check with GA EPA before buying. So depending on your state one may be able to change the title to diesel and "Bobs your uncle" good luck
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

Not a problem as to the State level in many States - trouble is that as States convert over the Federal standards it may get really tough to do this stuff. A freind did a conversion to a newer Toyota, it now says diesel on the title too.... but it's not a get out of jail free card.

If you can get it swapped over the diesel on the title it may help...... but it may not in the long run.

You can illegally import a Euro Rover and often get a title in the State you're in - but at a Fed level it's a big no-no and they can come find you. Just keep it in mind, it's not always as simple as it seems.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
PlantDriver
Craig Reece
1973 Series/Defender 100"

Hi Brian,

You wrote:

I am looking into WVO conversion options. There are some nice choices for the 5.9 Dodge Cummins and I think the 4BD1T is just about the same as the Cummins 4BD, which is the 4 cyl. version of the 5.9 Cummins. Those systems might be made to work if I can't get an exact kit. Thanks again Roving Beetle. I got a Rover today!!!![/QUOTE]

Love to help you drive on WVO. Check out my website, and I'd be happy to help you design a system. An inline pump is a big plus for WVO, for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Defender/Series 100" with International 2.8, PlantDrive two-tank waste vegetable oil conversion and hinged roof, built by Shane Ballensky at Rover Hybrids

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
2000, 90, d90, diesel, disco