Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old March 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I doubt anyone will commit to it, I'm sorry to say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
1134 (4th grade with the calulator)

good luck with the sale! I know you have been looking to sell this badboy for a while now.
I cant believe I just picked up a calculator and typed that in.

Michael,

Good luck on the sale. Summers coming up and what I wouldnt give to have that Red Dot AC unit.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I doubt anyone will commit to it, I'm sorry to say.
I'm actually surprized at the amount of interest there is away from the auction. My initial reaction would be the same as yours, but now I dunno...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Well, most of the magic in auctions happen within the last hour... If you don't get your reserve price, I'm going to say you'll probably get close to 45-50ish bid.. especially if you've been getting a lot of emails about it..

Hope you get what you're looking for though!
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Wow, 20 minutes left...not much action.

Follow-up Post:

Dang. Didn't sell. You were right JimC. Grrrrr....I hate it when you're right! :D
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hope you don't think I jinxed you!

Sorry about the bummer. I still don't know the best way to market this bad boy.

Old March 13th, 2008, 11:50 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Mike, I've told you before how much of a good job you did with that truck and how nice it is so dont take this as anything but helpful input on how to maximize your chances of selling it for the most amount of money... but you purpose built that truck so specifically to your own needs, the chances of you getting $65K for it on generic public sales just aren't there.

The things that are killing you are:
- The box... seriously, you need to loose it and put a regular tub back on it. I'm sure that you will be able to turn the box around on a resale to someone who may need something like that rather than keeping it on the Defender.
- Put the stock mirrors back on and take the 18-wheeler ones off.
- Paint the hood, bulkhead and rear door column to match the rest of the truck. For $65K, Joe Public is going to want a uni-color paint job.
- Take the HVAC unit on top of the cab off.
- Replace the Centri (?) cap off the snorkel and put the regular safari one back on.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I think that's some sound advice and on that note, let's watch and see how this one does: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...spagenameZWDVW

CVC, were you looking at the pics of this truck while you wrote up that post???
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At least Mike's isn't a 1971 TD5 court case waiting to happen.

Old March 14th, 2008, 12:44 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
CVC, were you looking at the pics of this truck while you wrote up that post???
No I didnt see that one. I looked at the pictures and thought.. "what is killing the sale of this truck?" and "what will move it?". The answer is very simple and its what we tell anyone who wants to maximize the selling potential for the greatest return... make it as stock looking as possible.

We all know it was built with a lot of quality planning and took a lot of effort and time to build it and Mike did an excellent job of it, but it was built with a specific purpose, it was not built to appeal to the general masses that will plunk down $65K on a unique Defender.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Actually, I was going to post almost the same comments as CVC. The other thing that turns me off is for the price of that nice restoration/build, I would have installed fuel injection. Just me. But yeah, that rear box needs to go.

The buyer of this truck it going to be a soccer mom looking for a status vehicle, and most likely not going to use it for what it is intended. So kill the mirrors, and AC box, install better mirrors, etc....

Otherwise it's a sweet ride!

Semper Fi!
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I really can't imagine soccer moms driving it even with the changes made.

Someone on another forum mentioned advertising it through the Robb Report, I think that's a great idea. It would get the right exposure from the group who would be willing to spend that type of coin on an 'exotic' vehicle. I would even bump the price up into the $90k and over range, just a thought... Of course, translating that very detailed website you have to their magazine pages would be a nice touch!
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Thinking....
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I agree with CVC on the changes, also I'd consider a consignment/broker deal with someone like a Copley or Parkcity 4x4 who may have connections with your buyer type. It seems to me that Copley has a regular clientele who are repeat buyers and seem to prefer buying nice examples through people they know and trust, especially in the sales price range most of us consider expensive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
ebay