Bad day for me... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Lyman, that looks very familiar, how did you like running Florida road backwards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Lyman, that looks very familiar, how did you like running Florida road backwards

Just for a challenge i sometimes throw the tranny in reverse and back up the trail....just kidding...

i usually turn around at the water and run it both ways...even before it was an issue. that's our current club policy, and IMHO whats after the water isn't really worth running anyway.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nice. Know that spot well.

It is more fun turning and coming down. Twice the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

I read your thread on the Jeep forum, I am so very sorry this happened. I have sepnt time in the Adirondacks (near Fort Drum). Thank God you are OK, trucks can be re-built; people on the other hand are not always able to take a linkin' and keep on ticken'! Good luck and I hope the D-90 finds a nice home. Best Wishes!

Old March 6th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
I read your thread on the Jeep forum, I am so very sorry this happened. I have sepnt time in the Adirondacks (near Fort Drum). Thank God you are OK, trucks can be re-built; people on the other hand are not always able to take a linkin' and keep on ticken'! Good luck and I hope the D-90 finds a nice home. Best Wishes!

thank you, i decided to rebuild it, i didn't have the heart to put it down. new galvy frame is 6 weeks away.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Glad to hear your rebuilding.
Here is a pic of me going up THE RIGHT WAY : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d90trail.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	5175  
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Mils
Ed/Miller
'95 Defender ST

Lyman - I am interested in buying "as-is" Would like to come up to inspect. What would you like to recover $ wise.

Mils
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mils
Lyman - I am interested in buying "as-is" Would like to come up to inspect. What would you like to recover $ wise.

Mils

You're a little late....new galvy frame is on its way, 3-link was just ordered, winch bumper on its way..... most everything except one wing has been tracked down....

you're back up over $20k now...if you're still interested i'd have to add everything up to give you a real number.
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

http://www.adirondackjeeps.com/forum...?p=25774#25774
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

rover
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

NICE! How long did it take to get to the point you could lift the body off?
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

about 20 hrs working alone, including enough bodywork to save all but one outer wing.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW not bad! I have often thought about the driveway galvanized frame swap as it is the most economical. I figured I could do it in about a week (or most of it) if I have everything lined up before hand.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
WOW not bad! I have often thought about the driveway galvanized frame swap as it is the most economical. I figured I could do it in about a week (or most of it) if I have everything lined up before hand.

everything has been apart twice before...so i have the luxury of everything being slathered in never sieze. ...i did some work last year on a rusty NAS that made me say never again on...
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
everything has been apart twice before...so i have the luxury of everything being slathered in never sieze.
Ahh yes, I can only imagine all of the rusted corroded ready to be snapped bolts I will run into, I soo look forward to it! I think a big air wrench is in order for this job!
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Ahh yes, I can only imagine all of the rusted corroded ready to be snapped bolts I will run into, I soo look forward to it! I think a big air wrench is in order for this job!

i spent over 5 hrs just dropping the tank, and trying to get the fuel lines off without having to buy new lines and pump ($550) for that rusty 90. Replacing the rear crossmember is more trouble than it is worth.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
i spent over 5 hrs just dropping the tank, and trying to get the fuel lines off without having to buy new lines and pump ($550) for that rusty 90. Replacing the rear crossmember is more trouble than it is worth.
That's the dilemma I am in, I have been told it is not much difference in price to swap out to a galvy chassie then to replace the rear cross member. But I can see it taking longer because i am going to find things that I will want to replace.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
That's the dilemma I am in, I have been told it is not much difference in price to swap out to a galvy chassie then to replace the rear cross member. But I can see it taking longer because i am going to find things that I will want to replace.
Yeah, but in the end, you'll probably have to replace those things you find with a chassis swap anyway down the road. You might as well do it at once then eek it out. The great thing about the chassis swap is the chance to replace your bushings and put in new fuel lines. It just forces you to do it.

Mike, I bet we could do yours in a day with 3-4 of us. Just have you blast all the bolts for a day or two before with PB. air wrench, impact gun and cut off wheel....
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL I think that may be the plan :P Maybe in a year or so, the frames not that bad, and it has been out of comission for too long to go out again this soon. I think I'll be replacing most if not all the bushings over the summer, just as long as the shop down the road has a big enough press! I also agree, it is a good time to replace all the other parts in need of it.
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Yeah, but in the end, you'll probably have to replace those things you find with a chassis swap anyway down the road. You might as well do it at once then eek it out. The great thing about the chassis swap is the chance to replace your bushings and put in new fuel lines. It just forces you to do it.

Mike, I bet we could do yours in a day with 3-4 of us. Just have you blast all the bolts for a day or two before with PB. air wrench, impact gun and cut off wheel....

and $400 fuel pump...because the pipes on it are rusted out.... i whole heartedly agree...if you plan on keeping the truck...do it up, but economically, if you can only get $18K out of a D90...better just to let the next guy buy the fuel pump...

from personal experience..it takes 6 people minimum to lift the body...and mine was completely stripped out except for the dash. i would give it a couple of days to get it done...more than 2 people on the tear down will just get in the way.

I did a new rear crossmember and fuel tank skid for about $500. A frame will run about $2500.

I plan on two more days to get it back together and tweak the 3-link, and a day to make it all blue again.

burn out the bushings and hack saw the shells if you can't find a press......if you havn't guessed by now, i like to do all my own work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles