Advice on Potential Purchase - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:09 PM
mjcasey
Status: Offline
Michael
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 11
Advice on Potential Purchase

Looking at this 94 D-90. Has 103k miles and dealer is asking $39.9 and won't budge much. Drove it and it is very clean and drives well. Any thoughts? Seems $5k - $7k overpriced. Link is below:

http://www.landroverdallas.com/web/u...as-TX/1203268/

By the way, I'm in the market for a D-90 soft top. Want to spend in the low-$30's if possible and don't mind north of 100k miles. Will be a weekender.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
lift up the front floor mats.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
If seller isn't willing to budge and you think it's $5-7k overpriced (I tend to think $15k overpriced easily) then walk away.

Hit up craigslist in your surrounding state(s) and look around there as well as elsewhere and post up when you find something you want another opinion on.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
pull up the floor mats ... I think i can see rust ...

dealer prices are always higher ... its what they do ... slop on armorol and slop on $10k to the price.

why is the transfer box selector missing the top?

------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2013 02:15 PM ------

then look at the door bottoms
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
pull up the floor mats ... I think i can see rust ...

dealer prices are always higher ... its what they do ... slop on armorol and slop on $10k to the price.

why is the transfer box selector missing the top?
no comment on color?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:16 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
and then finally get someone who knows these trucks to inspect it .... and then walk away because if he won't budge you don't want to be the guy that over paid.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:16 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,542
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcasey View Post
won't budge much.
Of course he won't. He's banking on your impatience. You'll sit there in the dealership and every part of you that wants a Defender will say it's worth it. You can think of so many reasons not to buy and he knows that in the end, you'll cut him a check because you're not patient enough to wait for a better deal.

As Tom mentioned, check the condition of the rear crossmember and frame for rust, the footwells of the bulkhead (under the floor mats) for rust, open each of the doors and look at the bottom of the sills for rust.

If you want to pay $7k less than what that dealer wants, then just forget that truck and wait for a better deal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Well I think youre right on the 5 to 7k over priced...maybe 10k. Softop with A/C is pretty good. It's stock and doesnt look bad. See if he'll give you some free years of fluid changes and a discount on the shop hourly rate, then you both win! But for that price you could get a Hard On full expedition ready D90 with the same miles or less...you just gotta look.

and yeah...what they said!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
For comparison, Bill Larson, the man who posted right above me, put this truck up for sale last year. Also white, also a ST, way fewer miles, no rust, etc. And it was considerably cheaper to start.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35594

Every year is a new market, but I'd say just save your time and move on to a seller with a more realistic starting price.


Also, look through the classified section you posted to (incorrectly) and search back a few months for trucks that you may be interested in that may not have sold yet. You'll usually get more for your money finding one here, and the truck is usually "known" by us which is also a good thing.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
For comparison, Bill Larson, the man who posted right above me, put this truck up for sale last year. Also white, also a ST, way fewer miles, no rust, etc. And it was considerably cheaper to start.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35594

Every year is a new market, but I'd say just save your time and move on to a seller with a more realistic starting price.


Also, look through the classified section you posted to (incorrectly) and search back a few months for trucks that you may be interested in that may not have sold yet. You'll usually get more for your money finding one here, and the truck is usually "known" by us which is also a good thing.


My thought are that at least she went to a good guy!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Surf90's Avatar
Surf90
Status: Offline
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 943
Registry
Bill, I love the white with black steel wheels. Such a sweet look.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,085
Registry
Michael, i'm assuming you've not flashed a pile of cash yet. The best way to turn the table on a seller is to show up with cash and your best offer in mind. If this is the truck you want, without a doubt, arrange your own financing outside the purchase and approach the seller with your best offer and a pile-o-cash. If he doesnt flintch then walk away knowing you did your best and there's no second guessing. Don't forget to compare apples to apples. Be sure you give credit for the fact that it is a local purchase and from a valid business. Buying across country will cost at a minimum transportation/inspection fees but it also greatly deminishes your opportunity for recourse if soemthing is not as it represented.

Clay
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Michael, i'm assuming you've not flashed a pile of cash yet. The best way to turn the table on a seller is to show up with cash and your best offer in mind. If this is the truck you want, without a doubt, arrange your own financing outside the purchase and approach the seller with your best offer and a pile-o-cash. If he doesnt flintch then walk away knowing you did your best and there's no second guessing. Don't forget to compare apples to apples. Be sure you give credit for the fact that it is a local purchase and from a valid business. Buying across country will cost at a minimum transportation/inspection fees but it also greatly deminishes your opportunity for recourse if soemthing is not as it represented.

Clay
X2...that is an important point!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Oh yeah I thought I said Bill Larson was from the same state, too. Even better data point!
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
WeBeCinYa's Avatar
WeBeCinYa
Status: Offline
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 2,387
Registry
I guess the auto check link ran out, that would be helpful info too. I was in market for ST recently and only waited a few months for a deal to come along. I say that dealer is way over priced. I would pass and watch this forum like its your job.
__________________
1994 Defender 90
2006 LR3 SE
1996 Discovery I (sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Reese_D90's Avatar
Reese_D90
Status: Offline
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,260
Registry
Michael,
This dealer tends to sit on their D90s and wait to sell. The last 94 white ST they had for sale for 4 or 5 months before they dropped their price to sell. As a data point, I took my 97 white SW, 100k miles, in 6 months ago to see what they would pay me for it. They offered $17k. I just about punched him. He just smiled and said, "You can probably do better on ebay." They look for a sucker.

$40k is high by $10k in my book. This one being a Texas truck may minimize the rust concern. When you looked at it did you look at the rear crossmember or door bottoms? Let me know if I can help.
__________________
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
They look for a sucker.
Or their own kind. Truck was for sale a while back through Land Rover Frisco for $29,999

http://www.landroverfrisco.com/web/u...sco-TX/363393/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Frisco.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	65004   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Frisco 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	65005  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Frisco 3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	65006   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Frisco 4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	65007  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Dallas.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	65008   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Dallas 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	65009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Dallas 3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	65010   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR Dallas 4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	65011  

__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
roverman2010's Avatar
roverman2010
Status: Offline
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston Island, NearTexas
Posts: 2,331
Registry
did you check auto trader theres a 94 white soft top for 27k in Houston,
__________________
Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,085
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
I guess the auto check link ran out, that would be helpful info too. I was in market for ST recently and only waited a few months for a deal to come along. I say that dealer is way over priced. I would pass and watch this forum like its your job.
Matt, what does way over priced mean and compare to what? Do you mean compared to an enthusiast recouping costs after years of enjoyment/transportation or compared to a company in business to earn a profit?

Michael, I would not advise you to chase after the lowest price or relying on autocheck reports too much. Neither are worth a shit if you've not done your homework; no mater who you buy one from.

Clay
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,789
And if you see a deal, get out your fine toothcomb and go look at it.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
advice

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed advice on possible D110 purchase Ron Mexico Wanted 12 October 12th, 2011 08:41 PM
Purchase Advice Appreciated lone_star_d90 Defender Technical Discussions 33 September 5th, 2008 09:24 AM
Possible purchase of Def 110 csw: need advice jessejames4 Misc. Chit-Chat 6 January 27th, 2008 03:27 PM
Advice on potential sale Abrooks For Sale - Vehicles 6 January 6th, 2008 04:04 PM
D-90 Purchase Advice Rubicon21 Misc. Chit-Chat 9 August 14th, 2007 12:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Copyright