Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Hell I'll say it's way overpriced too, Clay! But when I say it, I'm basing it off of quite a few things as I'm sure others are. Price based on condition, comparables, region (usually not a biggie unless you're from HI or AK), what I'd pay for it (low end), what Copley would charge for a comparable (high end), what they paid for it, what they've done to it since, private vs dealer, etc. ... goes on and on... color, miles, A/C, clean/dirty title, year... the big one for me is always "what would I pay for it?" although some people like paying more or less than I do, usually.

For example, Copley has a 1994 with 100k+ miles D90 ST (yes, yellow) in a competitive region, and is asking $32.8k

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/land_...35.3vo848.html

Matt just bought a NAS D90 ST so he should probably be pretty "in tune" to the market right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Clay I am basing on I just purchased a 94, 108k miles with next to zero rust, bone stock just like this one except no top and was nowhere near 39k. I didn't get a steal either and feel I paid a reasonable market price. If this truck had 10k worth of accessories, sure lets start at 39k. If you think I have no idea what I'm talking about I have a Arles 94 waiting for you for 39k.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Clay I am basing on I just purchased a 94, 108k miles with next to zero rust, bone stock just like this one except no top and was nowhere near 39k. I didn't get a steal either and feel I paid a reasonable market price. If this truck had 10k worth of accessories, sure lets start at 39k. If you think I have no idea what I'm talking about I have a Arles 94 waiting for you for 39k.
You need to look at each truck separately. I think you got a nice truck but with that said it had a broken odometer and for some people there is no way they would buy it or they would want a heavy discount. There is something to be said for buying locally. When I got my 90 it was a crap shoot as I bought it cross country. When I got my 110 I knew exactly how shitty it was because it was local.

As Clay said, do your homework of what to look for and don't rush. Also I personally think any truck you can't look at personally is worth a plane ticket. Pictures lie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:36 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Or their own kind. Truck was for sale a while back through Land Rover Frisco for $29,999

http://www.landroverfrisco.com/web/u...sco-TX/363393/
Good catch, from the same dealer operation no less. It just shows you how much dealers can make from clean Defenders when they are sold, traded in, sold, traded in again, sold again, etc. over and over again. They aren't stupid. If priced at $39k, it will probably sell for 36.5k.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Yeah, I was trying to get Michael to tell us if he thought the $5k-$7k was after taking into consideration the fact that it is a local purchase and it is ready now. If all that has been taken into consideration then I think he and the seller may be too far apart and he should keep looking. But if he's not ready to flash $34.9 in cash and he's not taken into consideration the cost of purchasing 12+ hours away then there might be some more homework to do and I wouldn't want to advise him to pass on it yet. Damn, if it is a dry Texas truck and has a sound maintenance history and also shows signs of normal regular use I'd pay a premium of $5K as opposed to a truck from the north that I would have to go see and transport back. Just saying.

Clay
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
How about this one?

Here's one in my neck of the woods in Santa Fe. Looks about the same for a lower price. Of course, if it were me, I would want to look at it...so to speak

http://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/3551117328.html
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
It is missing the knob for the transfer case, that has to be worth something off the price. It does look like they have had it for sale since late October so at some point they are going to have to move it. They are floorplanning the car and most dealerships have a limit on how long they keep a car before they have to blow it out or wholesale it.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:08 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Theres a white ST that looks to be in great condition here, same milage. I just contacted the guy (classic car dealer) and he wanted $29,950 ... save ten grand.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/3563936624.html
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Man, if white ST's are getting in the $30k range I might have to put mine back to stock and put her on the market. Been having thoughts of going to the 110 side...
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
mjcasey
Michael
None

Thanks for all of the helpful input. I did see the one on autotrader in Houston - the seller hasn't responded to email or phone calls. Hopefully something that fits the bill will come across soon. By the way, does anyone have experience good, bad or other with Adventure Motorcars in AL? Are they reputable? Thanks again.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post

So you bother for 3 months looking for a 90, and all the sudden you are an authority on these things?

I bought a 90 in CO for $ 5,800.00 delivered it to me in MD, HOWEVER, each truck is different, while I agree it is overpriced, sometimes a premium is warranted for the convenience and fuzzy feel

One can easily say your Arles is a $ 19,000 truck but maybe to you was worth 27,000
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Here is his zero rust truck. Got these from the seller. Just saying, it depends on who is looking at it. It's a decent truck don't get me wrong but it ain't perfect and you got a fair deal.

Just do your homework and look for the best truck for your money. Again I say buy a plane ticket before you send money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3603105476.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	65023   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-309206592.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	513.4 KB
ID:	65024  

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I got the pictures too and passed because of the footwell and rear crossmember. But, all of the frame pics he sent me were showed the frame looked solid. Id be interested in pics of the bulkhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Here is his zero rust truck. Got these from the seller. Just saying, it depends on who is looking at it. It's a decent truck don't get me wrong but it ain't perfect and you got a fair deal.

Just do your homework and look for the best truck for your money. Again I say buy a plane ticket before you send money.
------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2013 08:36 PM ------

this whole thread should be moved to misc.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post

Thanks for the clarification on the rust on my rig. I should have clarified that next to zero rusting on my frame, not the foot well where the paint is rubbed off from the previous owner throwing the clutch to the floor. And the rear cross member is solid, paint has come off...for those still concerned about a truck no longer for sale.

Do your homework...and pay whatever you think is fair. Best of luck!
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:55 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Matt is right. I pulled up the pics again and the frame and rear crossmember are solid. Clean and solid. He got a good deal...on an arles blue defender.

Now that I realize it, the rust in the footwell appears to be limited to the paint being removed and light rust following.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yes it has a solid frame.

Anyway good luck with your purchase. Feel free to ask questions here and you will get honest feedback.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:59 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Did anyone notice a2" hitch receiver under the front bumper? D you think this thing was ever pulled behind something at 70 mph for any length of time? How about the odometer being unhooked for any length of time?

The dealer will wait as long as possible for stupid cash to show up for that 90. Leave him your number and your best offer and wait it out.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It's a great truck for sure. The point is there are pluses and minuses with it that might not make others happy like it did you. for example i wouldn't buy a truck with odometer issues as it affects resale. What might make one happy might not make another.
The buyer needs to educate himself.

Saying a truck is overpriced without seeing it in person means nothing. There are many factors that go into pricing. To many, paying a dealer a premium to not have to troll message boards or eBay gives piece of mind.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Did anyone notice a2" hitch receiver under the front bumper? D you think this thing was ever pulled behind something at 70 mph for any length of time? How about the odometer being unhooked for any length of time?

The dealer will wait as long as possible for stupid cash to show up for that 90. Leave him your number and your best offer and wait it out.
If you look at the pics I posted there's more than just a 2" front receiver on there during its lifetime.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:44 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Unsure if this is bull$1+, because it was posted in NY, but in TX, however, worth a look if you ave the coin - I have nothing to do with this, just saw it about 5 minutes ago, so try to go see it...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3554779859.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
advice