Old January 26th, 2011, 02:46 AM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

Advice on 95 SW #299

Hey everybody,

I'm looking at purchasing this truck over the weekend:

http://landroversforsale.com/web/102...tation%20Wagon

However, before I pull the trigger I wanted to get some thoughts from the board to make sure my excitement for purchasing a d-90 is tempered with some degree of rationality. I know the truck isn't perfect, but it seems to be a good fit for my budget and needs. I had it inspected by a rover shop and the report came back with just a couple of items that the seller is fixing (eg, tailpipe, oil pan gasket, windshield). Based on the pics, is there anything else you think I need to focus on before going through with the buy? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Marinerover
michael
1994 AA D90

Truck looks good. I bought a d90 from him a few years back, great guy to deal with, up front about issues. Good luck with the purchase
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob37 View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm looking at purchasing this truck over the weekend:

http://landroversforsale.com/web/102...tation%20Wagon
oil pan gasket,

Thanks!
??????
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2011, 07:16 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Looks like a nice truck... Biggest thing is to not make it an emotional transaction until you hand them the check. You will be better off if you come down and go over it with a fine tooth comb, make sure that it is exactly what you want, and you know what you are getting into. So, fly down and drive it home and please bring me a couple Portillos Italian beef, since you will be so close.

Welcome to the addiction.

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Whoever owned added an real tempgauge, Id consider this a good thing. If your mechanic is sweating an oil pan gasket, well IDK what to say about that
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Hopefully they didnt buff all the paint off of it. This might sound stooopid, but run it through a car wash. More scratches will "magically" appear that were buffed out and any scratches already there will become more obvious.
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
No AC in a SW may be a little hot in the Summer. Under driver's side Hella on the bull bar you can see rust coming through (they rust from the inside out), and some rust in some other areas (passenger footwells, etc.). Check the rear crossmember a little more thoroughly...it's been repainted, so check for further rust there (picture shows it's bubbling up under the new paint). I wouldn't say they are "stay away from this truck!" type of rust, but a few rust areas to keep an eye on if you're looking to purchase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear crossmember rust bubble.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	35181   Click image for larger version

Name:	front bull bar rust.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	35182  

Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger footwell.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	35183  
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Rob, truck doesn't look bad from a cursory glance. I would definitely expect some issues. I've noticed that some of their trucks do have repainted rear crossmembers so that's something to investigate further. Who cares about the brushbar rust that Horsey points out above. All LR accessories rust and you can get another one for cheap. I'm sure you're aware that the roof rack and ladder are not factory. The ladder looks to be bolted thru the roof so you better like it. The holes could be a possible place for water ingress.

I would still suggest flying out and test driving it to make sure it runs as well as you'd like it to. Also, ask for some underbody pics to see if there is a bunch of rust lurking beneath. $30K is a lot of money so it could be worth a short trip to check it out. Maybe someone on the board who lives close can take a look before you book a ticket?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Just pointing it out, you douche.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Take a good look at the cross member and the out riggers ... and all the stuff underneath ... also make sure you budget for stuff that will invariably go wrong ... as josh says no AC is potentially an issue ... I'm in the process of retro fitting one ... they are available from time to time if you end up feeling the need.

Make sure the oil hoses are changed ... defenders have a habit of bbq'ing themselves ... at about this mileage!
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Mirrors have been changed
Some corrosion
Needs a headliner
Some bad touch ups and bubbles but nothing too major.

Not a terrible truck with absurd mileage or anything. I think it is worth a look. There are less 95 wagons so I can understand the price especially from a dealer. Run a carfax and make sure you rhinoline that front pushbar to stop the rust.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I have one of those mirrors on my truck ... unbreakable and increased field of view ... that's a plus point!
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Just pointing it out, you douche.
Yes, Horsey, I know it's hard for you to overlook since your buying criteria lies more within accessories more than anything else. Let's see...bald MTs: check, Jeep wheels: check, Multiple Bikini tops: check, Auxiliary gas tank: check, Rust-free brushguard: check, and last but not least, Rhinolining of entire interior: double check (overspray is a mega plus+++).

Items of little or no concern: updated oil cooler lines and brake rotors.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
Yes, Horsey, I know it's hard for you to overlook since your buying criteria lies more within accessories more than anything else. Let's see...bald MTs: check, Jeep wheels: check, Multiple Bikini tops: check, Auxiliary gas tank: check, Rust-free brushguard: check, and last but not least, Rhinolining of entire interior: double check (overspray is a mega plus+++).

Dude,

Do you know how valuable having three or four badger tops are???
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post

Brian, your Beluga Black 97 D-90 looks mint in your avatar. Trying to see if you posted in pics on the site? I like the mods you have done. Have you posted in pics on the site? Black Defenders have always been my favorite.
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Haston
Christopher Petite
97 D90 SW

It's easy to ask for additional pictures. When I was in contact with the same dealer a few years ago, also looking at a 95 SW, I asked for and was immediately supplied with detailed shots of the undercarriage since the truck had been registered in CT and was`apparently owned by Gretzky during his NY Ranger days. With the additional shots, it was apparent that much of the frame had been painted-- by whom or when I had no idea-- and, honestly, for that reason alone I declined to consider it further. I ended up finding one from AZ. My overall impression of the dealer, particularly after my exchanges with Stephen, was very positive though. The leap of faith threshold is very high when you're talking about 30K. Best of luck.
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:53 AM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Flights to AL are pretty cheap, so I'm going to take a trip down this Friday to look at the truck in-person. I'll make sure to pay special attention to the items you highlighted. If all goes well, I'll road trip it back up to Chicago in my new 90. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
sblack
Scott
2009 D110

Rob you can trust them. I have purchased a 90 from them and loved it. It was the 90 that Haston mentioned. They had cleaned the entire undercarriage. Very solid truck, never had any trouble. In fact that truck is still on their site if you want to take a look at it. I think it sold again a few weeks back.
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Rob - I've considered getting a truck from those guys as well. Where have you had it inspected in the Birmingham area? Thanks and good luck.
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

It's official - I'm the proud owner of #299. She survived the journey from Birmingham to Chicago, so we're off to a good start. Now it's off to the shop for a little TLC.

George - I would definitely recommend buying from Stephen and David. They're both very good guys and made the process easy. They use Duffy's Garage for pre-buy inspections. I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the inspection (e.g., missed that the fuel pump is going), so I'd look for another shop. Alternatively, there may be a board member who can take a look for you. Out of curiousity, which truck are you looking at? I saw a couple '94s while I was down there but I didn't go over them in-detail. In the end, I flew down to AL to inspect the truck myself and would recommend doing the same before completing a sale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags