'97 D90 Arles NAS, 23K (37km), close to perfect, bone stock time capsule - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old April 18th, 2016, 05:56 PM
dendrite
John
97/D90 #147

Registry
'97 D90 Arles NAS, 23K (37km), close to perfect, bone stock time capsule

I really don't think you'll find another one this pristine, but you might. There's always going to be doubters, but you'll have to see for yourself. I will take it to any mechanic of your choosing to have it checked. The ONLY thing I see is a slight, I mean slight drip from the oil pan, otherwise bone dry. The only thing I know of that's not stock is the OEM ladder, radio and stainless door bolts. This was imported thru Canada, and I do not know the history, but likely of Japanese decent. It has full documentation and is registered in Texas. Also have the original build sheet that was found in the rear panel. I think it has been kept indoors it's whole life including the year I have owned it. Upgrading home, hence the sale.
If you've been in the market for a garage queen '97 then I promise you will not be disappointed.

$72,500

Once it quits raining, I'l take some additional photos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
edit

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:45 PM
dendrite
John
97/D90 #147

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
edit
Why would you say that? It does have a MPH decal as required by DOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:05 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Sweeeet ass truck!!!!!
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrite View Post
Why would you say that? It does have a MPH decal as required by DOT.
So it is actually a Japanese spec 90, correct?

Because that does not appear to be the correct speedo for a North American, that is all.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a very nice 90.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:23 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
So it is actually a Japanese spec 90, correct?

Because that does not appear to be the correct speedo for a North American, that is all.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a very nice 90.

A little difficult to see in the photo, but the front marker light suggests so.
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Super hard to tell, but I see what you are talking about--looks smaller and further rearward than a NAS, at least typically. Not judging, just see what your saying.
Old April 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Beautiful truck John, GLWTS! Someone is going to get a really nice looking rig hope it goes to a good home.
Old April 19th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Where are all the " I want an Arles Blue Defender" fans?
Old April 19th, 2016, 09:12 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Does look to have the two power window switches in the center dash section as often fitted to Japanese Spec trucks.

GLWS regardless.
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

From what I have seen there are two groups of trucks that have come in that are considered JAP spec:

1. Ones from Japan with power windows. Everyone I have seen has had the build sheet in the rear door and had the speedo changed out for a land rover MPH unit with documentation to prove it.

2. Ones from the middle east. No power windows and typically a VDO speedo which makes actual mileage verification iffy.

I would much rather a truck like this. It's very clean. Good luck with the sale.
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:46 PM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Beautiful Truck..belongs in a museum. GLWS.
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:23 AM
1SIKROVER
Ken
97NAS

I've been admiring and drooling over the D90 for years. Although I appreciate the modern comforts and conveniences that technology has to offer...ie. Tesla, I still like the knobs, buttons, sounds, and "character" of vehicles that have a heritage and charm.

That being said, would us Cali folks have any issues / challenges registering this vehicle?
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:58 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SIKROVER View Post
I've been admiring and drooling over the D90 for years. Although I appreciate the modern comforts and conveniences that technology has to offer...ie. Tesla, I still like the knobs, buttons, sounds, and "character" of vehicles that have a heritage and charm.

That being said, would us Cali folks have any issues / challenges registering this vehicle?
As others mentioned, this truck might be imported - the small front side marker suggests so.
CA is strict about car registration....so, suggest you ask the seller to show picture of the VIN label in the driver side footwell - showing the manufacturer, VIN & barcode, and states that the vehicle complies/conforms/meets all US Federal safety standard, etc.
There is also a site that list all the VIN of Defenders cars legally allowed in the U.S.. I stumbled across that while doing research.

You don't want to buy a truck, only to find out later you cannot register it.
Old April 21st, 2016, 05:17 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Another indicator of Japanese/Saudi spec: two little clips securing the bottom of the license plate.

Looks like a really clean wagon!
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:02 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

You guys really should get your facts together:

1. This vehicle might be imported. Clue bird, they're all imported.
2. A limited number of Defenders we're imported/sold by Land Rover North America (LRNA). This ended in 1997 due the new air bag laws established by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
3. These limited number of Defenders sold by LRNA are not the only legal Defenders in the US. However, yes you can find a list of all these Defenders because LRNA kept a registry of them. Again, this website is "not" a listing "all" legal Defenders.
4. No, a vehicle doesn't need to have the NHTSA sticker on the kick plate to be legal. This sticker your referencing, was put there by the manufacturer, Land Rover, on vehicles that were built to North American Specs and it's destination was the North American market.
5. But those are two separate issues. North American Specs (NAS) was an option, not a destination. For instance in 1997 all petrol V8 D90s were NAS. And they were all automatics as well. But Land Rover built NAS D90s that went all over the world, not just the US. A lot of them went to Japan, and that's what some folks refer to as Japanese Spec D90s. However, IMHO they should be referred correctly as Japanese NAS D90s, because they are NAS D90s with very minor differences. And in some ways, they're better...nicer seats, some w/ power windows, etc...
6. Many NAS D90s went to LR Middle East North Africa as well (MENA). And some even had the NHTSA stickers too because vehicles were diverted to other markets after they rolled off the line with the stickers. These can be imported w/out a registered importer (RI), but not recommended as an RI can help with obtaining a legal title (which is the difficult part of importing any vehicle that has never been titled in the US). And in addition, the ones w/ stickers all have mph speedos and are exactly the same as the ones imported by LRNA. The "other" NAS versions have kmph speedos and have to be changed by an RI
7. But they are all legal for import as long as they were manufactured before 1 Sep 1997.
8. I digress, so to clarify, while any NAS D90 with NHTSA sticker or no sticker, if built before 1 Sep 97 is perfectly legal to import; if it doesn't have the sticker it has to be imported through an RI. This is spelled out in what is called "The NHTSA Non-Conforming List" 2010.

And yes, I agree that this D90 appears to be a Japanese NAS D90 because of the "Euro" turn indicators. But as long as it meets the above criteria; it's good to go.

Just inspect it very well and make sure the VIN strip under the windshield matches the frame (and not tampered with). In addition, it should have a "Euro" plate under the hood on top of the brake master cylinder pad. Make sure the VIN is correct: SALDV3249VA126XXX. See the list mentioned above, and any serial number over 127K will be well after 1 Sep. Oh and yes, look for the build sheet behind the rear safari door card. Finding it is a bonus!! And if you do, you'll see the NAS build codes right on it.

Last, the seller should have all the import documents including RI paperwork documenting the RI met all requirements to bring the non-conforming vehicle in to conformity to obtain the legal title. And again, the NHTSA publishes a list of RIs that are licensed to do this. And if the speedo was changed, you should have documentation for that as well.

If all this is good, go for it. If not, don't touch it.

BTW, I own both. The white D90 in my pic is a 1997 Japanese NAS D90 in Abu Dhabi, and I have a 1995 NAS D90 ST back home in the states so I've got the t-shirt and just wanted to share the real deal.

Yes, there are a lot of illegal Defenders in the states. But unfortunately, there is a lot of bad information put out as well. And, some of it because a lot of LRNA Defender owners want folks to believe their Defenders are the only legal ones. Or the only "real" ones. And that just ain't so. And, you won't get any help from LR either. Their records are terrible and the folks that work there in the UK now, are clueless. And you surely won't get any help from the NHTSA or the EPA. They want them all off the road and want us all to drive a Prius, but that's just my 2 cents.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:07 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven81 View Post
And in addition, the ones w/ stickers all have mph speedos and are exactly the same as the ones imported by LRNA. The "other" NAS versions have kmph speedos
Are you sure about this? Because I'm not sure that's true.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Woops sorry dendrite did this vehicle sell? If not, we can move this convo elsewhere.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:30 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Yes, ooooops! I apologize as well! But to answer your question, the 1995 and 97s sold here by LRMENA w/ stickers are identicle. Basically, folks wanted V8s, and some were deverted from the US market after production.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:34 AM
Chicosalgueiro
F. Salgueiro
2000 Defender 110 SW Td5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Are you sure about this? Because I'm not sure that's true.
The exception are the CDN models: km speedo, had LR DOT sticker.

AFAIK, no Japan/Saudi "spec" had the LR DOT sticker in the drivers footwell (there are some legit NAS in the UAE though, imported from the US).
The ones imported to the US via RI should have a RI placed DOT compliance sticker in the door. I found a lot of them were imported via Red Auto Sales in FL.

Francisco

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, d90, nas