Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old September 24th, 2011, 10:49 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I wouldn't want a salvage title but the truck is basically new. Fresh great paint, galv, engine etc.
It is what it is.

You think a truck with NO title is worth as much as a truck with a title?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidrip View Post
He's a douche on every board he comments on. It's pretty funny that he has an opinion on everyones business, but he was dumb enough to have a trailer trash wedding in the dirt! freakin hilarious!! Proves a point that his opinion is shit!

Who the fuck do you think you are?!? Do you know Dan and Tami? They met each other at a land rover event and it seemed fitting to them to get married at one with all the people they knew already there. It makes perfect sense and to each their own on how they want to get married. I'm hoping that your comment was only a weak attempt to get back at Dan for something. I'm guessing that the fact he didn't respond to you is because it didn't bother him, but it bothered me.

------ Follow up post added September 24th, 2011 11:04 PM ------

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong but I think you are delusional about having a fully rebuilt 300 tdi with everything installed for that cheap. Maybe some crap take out that hasn't been gone through but not a completely rebuilt engine, tranny, with all the crap you need.

Please someone else chime in. I have no clue but that price sounds cheap installed especially done factory correct. Still don;t know why you had to shit on the for sale thread. This isnt a new member just trying to rip someone off on the board. I wouldn't want a salvage title but the truck is basically new. Fresh great paint, galv, engine etc.

Yes it can be done for that. Buy a shit Tdi out of a rusty truck for cheap, buy a kit with all the seals and bits for the rebuild. Arrange "economy shipping" through a buddy as long as you aren't in a big hurry to get it. Get your other buddy who happens to run a machine shop to do the heads, and clean the engine up. Get yet another buddy who happens to own an indie rover shop to assist in the reassembly and install since he is also a diesel freak and BINGO, you have a Tdi installed for under $2500. Now for the commoner, who knows his rover stuff, it could be done in the 5k range. Now if you want to send your truck to ECR with nothing but a note attached that says "Put a new 300Tdi in it" then you are in a whole different price range.
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Fine you can do a tdi install cheap but that still doesn't mean you come to this thread and shit all over the guys for sale post. There was just no point. I don't really get why Dan is so fired up about it anyway. From what I can tell he doesn't even have a defender so why he trolls this board to start fights in random spots is beyond me. With that said I would still let him install an engine in my truck but only if we can argue about who is a bigger douche while he works and I watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:19 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Fine you can do a tdi install cheap but that still doesn't mean you come to this thread and shit all over the guys for sale post. There was just no point. I don't really get why Dan is so fired up about it anyway. From what I can tell he doesn't even have a defender so why he trolls this board to start fights in random spots is beyond me. With that said I would still let him install an engine in my truck but only if we can argue about who is a bigger douche while he works and I watch.

Dan just isn't worried about what people think and calls things as he see's them. Just the way he is. I don't think he's out looking for a fight per se.
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
Dan just isn't worried about what people think and calls things as he see's them. Just the way he is. I don't think he's out looking for a fight per se.
Probably why he gets banned.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:23 AM
discodaze
ian tydeman
1969 Rover Hybrid SWB,

I have seen thIs d 90,and it is in showroom brand new condition, of course anyone that knows rovers has seen crap and quality, but this is project is amazing. Anyone who has seen derricks stuff, knows it is impeccable. This is a great deal, and let's leave it at that. Cheers Ian
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

Damn this is like high school all over again. I don't see the big deal if someone wants to ask $100,000 for their car that's their right and maybe they will get it. Who cares, if you are not interested in the car keep your mouth closed. There is a car down the street from BJF pretty much identical to this 1997 that sold for over $90,000 less than a year ago. I have had all kinds of cars from porsches to all kinds of classics and a salvage title doesn't always effect the price by much. People who really know cars and know what to look for don't much care about a salvage title. Especially when it's something like flood damage, that's nothing...it's a joke. It's not like the car was wrecked and the frame was bent. It doesn't take much for the insurance company to salvage a car title. Hell I've seen salvage cars go for more than clean title cars at times. If I didn't live in suck ass california I would be all over this car. If you really want to talk about over priced, hell all these defenders are over priced when you look at what they go for in europe. It' a joke these things are more common then honda civics over in the UK. It looks like the euro is gonna take a plunge......real soon might be time to get on a plane and bring some goodies back. It's so easy to see who got breast fed as a baby on this forum and who didn't and who didn't get off the nipple soon enough.......You always know when your doing something right....when you have haters
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:23 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Vehicle View Post
Damn this is like high school all over again. I don't see the big deal if someone wants to ask $100,000 for their car that's their right and maybe they will get it. Who cares, if you are not interested in the car keep your mouth closed. There is a car down the street from BJF pretty much identical to this 1997 that sold for over $90,000 less than a year ago. I have had all kinds of cars from porsches to all kinds of classics and a salvage title doesn't always effect the price by much. People who really know cars and know what to look for don't much care about a salvage title. Especially when it's something like flood damage, that's nothing...it's a joke. It's not like the car was wrecked and the frame was bent. It doesn't take much for the insurance company to salvage a car title. Hell I've seen salvage cars go for more than clean title cars at times. If I didn't live in suck ass california I would be all over this car. If you really want to talk about over priced, hell all these defenders are over priced when you look at what they go for in europe. It' a joke these things are more common then honda civics over in the UK. It looks like the euro is gonna take a plunge......real soon might be time to get on a plane and bring some goodies back. It's so easy to see who got breast fed as a baby on this forum and who didn't and who didn't get off the nipple soon enough.......You always know when your doing something right....when you have haters
This is hilarious. This dip-shit could not pass a 4th grade English test, but he's going to tell the rest of us who the moron is.

Who wants to buy some swamp land in Florida?
Old September 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Period.
On the other hand it is very odd that such a determined bidder couldn't go another $400
Old September 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Dan is completely on target regarding the vehicle's valuation. However, as some smart cookie once said, a fool and his money are soon parted. Or rather, in a better sense, there's a sucker born every minute.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Well, it seems this is not a "for sale" thread anymore. Instead it's a bunch of playground antics from people who think that insult and counter-insult is the normal mode of human discourse.

No reason to ban anyone and no need to delete posts. Not only is trying to stay one step ahead of trolling a fool's errand, but I see no reason to erase troll tracks.

Go ahead and start a new for sale thread. As for the group, behave yourselves. Anyone who is getting worked up or excited behind that keyboard is forgetting that these are toys and we're here for fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

It never was a for sale thread. It was an advertisement for an eBay listing.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

True in it's current state it should be the flea market but damn man you are still a douche. Now get to work building my engine.
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
dogbite
Paul D
95 D90 ST & SW

Registry
There is a BIG difference between just putting in a POS 300TDi into an old NAS truck(or having your cheaply priced "buddy" do it with random misc. hardware to make it work) from completely taring down a truck to the frame, and building it back up with new/correct hardware.

Sure you can throw any shit engine in any shit truck you want but in the end that's what you get..... a shitty truck that was slapped together by "buddies" on the cheap.

The truck in question may have a salvage title, but by no means is it in your typical NAS D90 condition, and it seems everyone is missing that point. This is a lot more than simply a 300 conversion, but I guess that's what people are hung up on.... how cares what engine it is, the rest of the parts/truck has value even with a salvage title.

Better yet lets see some photos or examples of these conversions that you guys have done for under $2,500 (or is it just talk and you have never actually done one?)..... and we'll go from there...."it is what it is", lets see your's!
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I priced putting a 2.8 in my 90 and it is more than 15k for what its worth.

This truck is worth it in my opinion but that's not the point. The point is it is a for sale thread. You want to shit on it start a new thread.
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbite

Better yet lets see some photos or examples of these conversions that you guys have done for under $2,500 (or is it just talk and you have never actually done one?)..... and we'll go from there...."it is what it is", lets see your's!
Look at Mike Crandall's "build". Totally rebuilt 300tdi in a 110 double cab. Every single bolt on the entire truck is new. Brakes, rotors, sd cage, tires, driveshafts, springs, paint, interior.....it's all brand new. I think even the transfer case is new from Ashcroft. Winch, bumpers, lights, skid plates....it's all new. The entire truck, including the 300tdi, did not cost as much as this d90. No fucking way the engine alone cost "$10,000".

How many more examples you want?
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:26 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
I priced putting a 2.8 in my 90 and it is more than 15k for what its worth.

This truck is worth it in my opinion but that's not the point. The point is it is a for sale thread. You want to shit on it start a new thread.

Price all depends on what you want. I have no doubt that it can cost 10-15k to do a swap. If you get an already rebuild engine or buy an old engine and and pay someone to rebuild it and install it then you will spend that amount of money. The savings is when you know people and can get a deal on whats involved or you can do everything yourself. If doing it yourself then I don't include man hours in a value. I spent a couple of days doing nothing but research on the swap and just bought a 300 Tdi and complete drive train and extras to go into a 94 Disco. With my research and with the people I know I have no doubt I can have the engine in and a running truck for under 3,000 and that's estimating high with the cost of the vehicle included. This isn't going to be a junk install with crappy parts or duct taped together. I've got the best rover mechanic in the area joining me.
I'm not picking at this ad in itself just trying to give my opinion as to the value of the engine that was being discussed when I read the thread. The truck in the ad looks like a really nice example of a rebuilt defender and I would love to do a project like this, but not for the money. I think it could be done cheaper if you are careful and shop around for what you need which since i'm a local government employee that's what I have to do. I can't do the whole "money is no object approach" when doing a project like this and when people do do it that way they cut out a large group of potential buyers.
I have a disassembled 48 Willys Jeep out in the garage that i'm rebuilding, but I know it will be years in the making. I check ebay and craigslist once or twice a week for the little things I need and maybe put in an hour or two a week fooling around with it. When i'm done I plan to have the minimal amount of money in it as possible, but still have a nice, restored condition jeep. That process is where I base my prices from.
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Full rebuilt 300 tdi drivetrains have sold for 7k and up on this board.

Price isn't the point, there was just no reason to trash a for sale thread, but no one seems to care in this case so I'm done.
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Not a for sale thread. The op directed you to a eBay ad. No different than someone pointing out a lrx ad or a craigslist ad or anything else advertised on the web. That makes it free game on a forum to post whatever opinion you have of it. The fact that the op is also the owner of the vehicle in question is unimportant, except in it's foolhardiness of throwing chum to the sharks.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:50 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Full rebuilt 300 tdi drivetrains have sold for 7k and up on this board.

Price isn't the point, there was just no reason to trash a for sale thread, but no one seems to care in this case so I'm done.

I think price was a point to some in this case and why it matters to some people I don't know. It's a nice truck and I'm sure it will sell to someone at the price he is asking. I was never trying to trash his thread, but just attempted to help answer a question that was asked about the Tdi. You asked if it could be done for less and I answered. I think ads like this quite often go the same way as a political conversation shared by a few guys with differing opinions while drinking beer. In the end it doesn't really make a difference and we all get over it and are friends again next week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
300tdi, 90, 97, 97 d90, d90, ebay, tdi