95 ST-price opinion needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:32 PM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

95 ST-price opinion needed

95ST, solid frame&floors, new brakes, engine strong, new tires, a few dings, leaks and scratches, 179K miles. What's it worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Depends on a great many things (like would there be multiple tops included, all seats, radio, speakers, etc). Would likely be priced between 17-22.5, would likely sell 17-19.5k, maybe even as high as 20.5 with clear title.

What color, or are you inquiring about or your own?
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:55 PM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

I own it. I had been looking for a while but wanted to buy local so I could drive it, etc... Finally found one and bought it. Just confimring I didn't get screwed too bad. It has all the seats, nice stereo system with a flip up NAV and DVD player, came with ST and HT (HT needs a small repair). Other than that I drive it around and it seems fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

15-16k
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

just sold one near identical except '94, Ebay, $17.5k, no a/c, no rear seat, decent newer RN top, red/black top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
icurnmedic
Thomas Church
1994 Red D90

I agree with Ron, 16ish is a good ballpark area , this time of year maybe a little more, in the fall likely the 15k range, BTW , has anyone else noticed the decline of D90's for sale being posted, maybe just me but seems like the NAS 90's are indeed drying up.
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Since you bought it, I'm guessing it's worth what you paid (to you anyway). Sorry for being a smart ass
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

Not exactly. I probably paid slightly more than I should have and of course I keep checking to see whats out there and start wondering if I should have held out. In any event, values are close enough so that even if I resell and take a $2-3k loss, I paid for some drive time.
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
I agree with Ron, 16ish is a good ballpark area , this time of year maybe a little more, in the fall likely the 15k range, BTW , has anyone else noticed the decline of D90's for sale being posted, maybe just me but seems like the NAS 90's are indeed drying up.
I can't/won't sell mine. I'm still taking classes at NAS University. It's like selling your textbooks while still taking the class. Professor Galpin and Brown would give me an incomplete grade.

What is the price of a good "education" these days anyway?
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Rob,

Asking pricing from this crowd is different than a typical buyer. The guys here are experts in all things Defender. So, they will typically pay a few grand less or more for the right truck. The key is that you found the truck suited you and your needs. Time will tell if your extra $ paid off or not. Purchasing the truck is the first cost, fixing previous mistakes, issues or poor upgrades will cost you plenty more. I purchased a low mile truck in 2003 and put about 10K fixing issues and redoing upgrades.

A couple of grand is a couple grand... A D90 is not an investment, it is a truck. Yes, most of the time, you can keep it, use it and get the majority of your money back, if you ever sell it. But, that is not a good reason to buy it. First off, it is a tractor, it leaks fluids as well as water...and you will enjoy every minute of it, and if you ever sell it, it will haunt you until you buy another one - guaranteed. So, congrats, you just joint a great club and any of the guys here will help you out.

If you feel that you need to get a few $ back, sell your factory hard top, it is worth $800 - $1200 depending on condition.

Scott

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

A big point Scott makes- you are hooked forever- that will cost you way more than a few bucks either way at the time of purchase. However, the support of fellow addicts is worth the cost of admission- welcome aboard!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Depends on a great many things (like would there be multiple tops included, all seats, radio, speakers, etc). Would likely be priced between 17-22.5, would likely sell 17-19.5k, maybe even as high as 20.5 with clear title.

I know Horsey is authority on buying high quality trucks but if I was buying a truck, I would look at things like mechanics and rust. I would go through receipts, check suspension, bushings, hubs, etc. Things wear out with high mileage so I would want to know it was well cared for and no maintenance was lapsed. Then there is the obvious issues like rust I would want to check.

Radios and tops are garbage accessories that add zero value. All it is crap to dress up a pig. It is like a new car, this crap doesn't residualize. I mean I would also look to see the truck was rhinolined by Michael J Fox. If it was and he did a really bad job, add 5000 to value.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Tops, at least a badger, retains 75% of its value based on sales of used ones and rear benches command a premium.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Barry, you're right and wrong once again. Yes, those are important things to look for of course. There are both educated and uneducated buyers for these, and many times these trucks are bought without seeing them in person first. An easy way to sum up the criterion we have listed is to say it depends on how well the truck is presented in its for sale ad. Taking lots of clear pics of a good looking truck in good order always helps.

Some people put pictures of their dog in stupid poses all over their tuck in their for sale ads, and many people only take four pictures or so of some outside shots and interior shots, and the cleanliness and completeness of the vehicle ends up showing a buyer a lot about how the owner cared for the truck, which definitely contributes to the sale price.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I agree with you Horsey but that isn't what you said. You said Radio and speakers and tops. Pictures mean nothing even with a stupid dog. It comes down to facts about the truck. Now I know you would go buy a truck with a sweet sound system but if you aren't a frat boy and you are trying to make an educated decision about a purchase your criteria is garbage.

As for badger tops, yes they retain value if you sell separate, they add very little in resale. The rear seat is a different story and dependent on buyer.

Quote:

Old June 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I disagree as to what they add to resale. The ones with badgers bring $1500 more than those with bestops in my experience. In fact, when I sold mine, I got $1700 for the badger.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
It ALL depends on the buyer, actually. I would go as far as to say that every single buyer has a threshhold on any one of the following that could turn them away from a truck:

1) The seller (cordial, upfront, knowledgeable, pain in the ass, etc.)
2) Configuration (ST, HT, 3.9, 4.0, Pursuit, Tdi)
3) NAS or Non-NAS
4) Truck accessories (Auto, Manual, A/C, tops, radio, rear seat (and configuration there-of), lining/line-Xing, Galvanized etc.)
5) Rust threshholds. Some even base the decision on where exactly the rust is
6) Mechanical soundness, including documentation of service
7) Carfax

and the list goes on and on, Barry. Every buyer has his or her own threshholds for any one of those, and it all boils down to what weights they place on those. Just because you're willing to turn away based on certain areas doesn't mean that another buyer has placed low weights on those very same items.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Fair enough

Quote:
It ALL depends on the buyer, actually. I would go as far as to say that every single buyer has a threshhold on any one of the following that could turn them away from a truck:

1) The seller (cordial, upfront, knowledgeable, pain in the ass, etc.)
2) Configuration (ST, HT, 3.9, 4.0, Pursuit, Tdi)
3) NAS or Non-NAS
4) Truck accessories (Auto, Manual, A/C, tops, radio, rear seat (and configuration there-of), lining/line-Xing, Galvanized etc.)
5) Rust threshholds. Some even base the decision on where exactly the rust is
6) Mechanical soundness, including documentation of service
7) Carfax

and the list goes on and on, Barry. Every buyer has his or her own threshholds for any one of those, and it all boils down to what weights they place on those. Just because you're willing to turn away based on certain areas doesn't mean that another buyer has placed low weights on those very same items.
------ Follow up post added June 17th, 2010 11:58 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I disagree as to what they add to resale. The ones with badgers bring $1500 more than those with bestops in my experience. In fact, when I sold mine, I got $1700 for the badger.
I can see the tops adding some value but I can't see paying that much more for the top. I think the prices on these trucks have a range. Say a good low miles one is 30000, I am not sure asking 32 because of the top would ever really happen. I think the original price is subjective so it adding value might be hard to prove.
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The actual pricing is emotional, the actual sales price is intellectual. It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Old June 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Fair enough

------ Follow up post added June 17th, 2010 11:58 AM ------

I can see the tops adding some value but I can't see paying that much more for the top. I think the prices on these trucks have a range. Say a good low miles one is 30000, I am not sure asking 32 because of the top would ever really happen. I think the original price is subjective so it adding value might be hard to prove.

I disagree. The most common questions I hear are (1) what type of transmission and (2) (if not shown in the pics) what type of top.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags