Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I disagree. The most common questions I hear are (1) what type of transmission and (2) (if not shown in the pics) what type of top.
I only ask tranny for 94s and 93s and even now how many still have the old style?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I only ask tranny for 94s and 93s and even now how many still have the old style?
Yes, but most people don't know that they were almost all replaced.
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
3 things that were mandatory when I bought a truck:

Badger top with door seals
COMPLETE and functioning rear seat
Tuffy Console (would MAYBE give on this one)

I was looking at <20K trucks and did not want to fork out an additional 4k+ and time to get all of these put in. Winch bumper, axels, were just a bonus...but would not have stopped me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah but you were looking for a cheaper truck and hoping for extras. You werent paying more for them. Tuffy is 300 so not like that added value

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
3 things that were mandatory when I bought a truck:

Badger top with door seals
COMPLETE and functioning rear seat
Tuffy Console (would MAYBE give on this one)

I was looking at <20K trucks and did not want to fork out an additional 4k+ and time to get all of these put in. Winch bumper, axels, were just a bonus...but would not have stopped me.
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When I sold Chicky, I listed her with varying prices with badger/RN/bestop/no top.

In the end, I sold her with the badger and the buyer wanted me to install the tuffy and the exmoor seats out of my red D90 ie: I got the extra money.
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I understand what you did but most people selling them don't offer it like that. Just a truck and a price. I am talking of course about trucks for sale not on the board
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Yeah but you were looking for a cheaper truck and hoping for extras. You werent paying more for them. Tuffy is 300 so not like that added value
I think it is some sort of bell curve as to what value accessories add to the value of a truck.

A 50k defender....no added value
A 10k defender...no added value

But I think there is a sweet spot in the middle where people will pay extra for their personal "must-haves."

I passed on similarly priced trucks that were in better shape due to the lack of a seat and a top.

And trust me...I sold a 88 Rangie for $3500 that had $20k into it...so I know about accessories, repairs, etc adding no real value...
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
2 in a half years ago I paid a premium of $30k for my '95 ST w/ 95k miles on the clock. A little too much but I justify it with the following:

Accessories: My truck had an ARB, Hella's, and a Warn XD9000 as well as a bench and a brand new RN top. I'm fine with it as it had those accessories - close to $3,000+ I would have spent anyway.

Color: I'm surprised no one mentioned color as bringing more or less money. I had 2 or 3 colors I wanted. There was a nice red one on the board but that color just wasn't for me. I ended up with White as there was a 110 in town and I thought the color looks great on these trucks Not to mention there wasn't another white 90 in the area.

Location: Be able to drive and touch the vehicle was big for me. It was 45 minutes away and was a dealer so I was able to trade-in my Audi S4 to save on the taxes. (that's another reason). To be able to see it in person nearby saves time and worry. I wanted a 1995 ST in one of three colors - so there wasn't that many to choose from.

Timing: I shopped for a few months and wanted one bad. 2 years ago portfolio's were in good shape and prices for 90's were higher than they are now.

I agree totally with ScottWoldd90 says. It's not really an investment but a Defender will give you some returns. I've put a lot of time and money into mine but that's what I like to do. Every car I've owned I've had to mod in some way. And the Defender is a little easier in ways. Getting to drive it on the trail and see what it is capable is amazing especially after you have added some updates to it. Having people say to you "nice truck!" almost everytime you drive it is neat too (I think I got 2 or 3 today). You pay for certain things to put a smile on your face - boats, vacations, country/rifle/beach club, sporting events, etc - the Defender is kinda like that.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

Wow, this quick question turned into quite the philisophical debate. Just to calrify, I had the seller (who was a dealer/mechanic that personally owns other LRs) put the truck up on the lift for me, etc...when I first saw it. He then met me at City Side Garage and I paid for an hour of shop time to have Alan do a full once over and a road test. Everything checked out, although I had a list of about 15 things to do to provide piece of mind when driving (brakes, turn signals, oil cooler lines, etc...). That cost me another $2500, but so far so good, knock on wood. The only thing that popped up is the catlytic converter needs replacing (rattling pretty bad inside). Anyway-thnaks for the comments

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags