Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
95 D90 fastback

I would love to hear peoples honest opinions of this truck for sale near Denver. FYI: not my truck but one I am looking at.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3174420071.html

2 owner
136k miles I think
Fast back roll cage set-up (not a favorite of mine)
Good bit of rust on bumpers
Y-pipe exhaust leak
Fair amount of paint stone chips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:12 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The cage is tough to find, and if you do, it will be $.

From the pictures, it looks like a nice truck. Should be able find some on here to take a look at it for you.

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Yeah the rust is there. I've got some good detail images, but I am new to the forum and haven't played around enough to figure out how to attach photos. Working on it though ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 10:46 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
I think Id have to see this truck in person, or see better resolution photos to gauge the quality.

Maybe Im just seeing reflections or something, but the left rear or the truck looks out of whack (body panel creases). In person it may look fine...not sure

happy hunting !
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

fair price for a real nas truck. if it was a regular d-90 it would be to much.

Just my opinion.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:02 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Regardless of price (I always have a hard time having an opinion on "fair price")... but objectively, definitely look at the bottom of the truck. Front right bumper looks suspect too which isn't a big deal but only indicative of what else underneath might be rotten.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:08 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Looks like a top from D90 tops, expensive. Definitely check underneath, door welds, lots of hints at rust from pics. Priced right if rust not bad underneath, I think.

Joe
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhorse View Post
Looks like a top from D90 tops, expensive.
What makes you think that? It has the Land Rover logo on both passenger and driver side, plus I'm not even sure the D90 Tops - formerly roverracks right? - makes them with Alpine windows.
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
I had a friend of mine who lives near the D90 in Colorado go shoot some pics for me. Here are some higher resolution images he sent me. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you so much to all who have already left their thoughts. Thank you thank you.

---

background info: I'm in the market for a D90, preferably (not absolutely) a NAS soft top (again, preferably arles blue ... but I won't get too picky) and I have a budget that sits around 20k. I know that is a tall order but I'm not looking for a show car - just something I can enjoy with my wife and son.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5189.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	743.5 KB
ID:	55219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5192.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	630.6 KB
ID:	55220  

Name:	IMG_5205.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	562.5 KB
ID:	55221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	747.2 KB
ID:	55222  

Name:	IMG_5216.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	703.0 KB
ID:	55223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	756.3 KB
ID:	55224  

Name:	IMG_5218.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	55225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	724.9 KB
ID:	55226  

Name:	IMG_5221.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	55227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5226.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	733.6 KB
ID:	55228  

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Well, maybe not a D90 top, although they do the logo and Alpine windows, shape looks off.

Too much rust for the price, I think.

Joe
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
background info: I'm in the market for a D90, preferably (not absolutely) a NAS soft top (again, preferably arles blue ... but I won't get too picky) and I have a budget that sits around 20k. I know that is a tall order but I'm not looking for a show car - just something I can enjoy with my wife and son.
Why NAS?
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett

Why NAS?
Good question. It's just a preference, I saw a Series III here a week or so ago I would have bought right off the dude in the parking lot. -- I would like it to have a full safari cage & a rear seat option. I would also prefer LHD, and if it was diesel I would like an overdrive option.

What are your thoughts on NAS & UK spec?
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:38 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You need to look at the floor boards, bottoms of the doors, battery box and both sides of the rear cross-member and gas tank skid.

The rear seat has been recovered or swapped out.

Could be a good truck for 18K.

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Good question. It's just a preference, I saw a Series III here a week or so ago I would have bought right off the dude in the parking lot. -- I would like it to have a full safari cage & a rear seat option. I would also prefer LHD, and if it was diesel I would like an overdrive option.

What are your thoughts on NAS & UK spec?
Since I've not owned a NAS I can't think of any reason not to.

But, at your price range you may find a few more options if you look at imports.

I like diesel - range, torque, simple durable motors, etc.

If just a toy and the RHD is a non-issue you have a lot of options imported and ready to import

If you are mechanically minded you have even more options

I know of a few folks in the OC that have imports (I was one) so it can be done in SOCAL.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

So, I would guess it has been hit maybe twice as it looks like two glossy flares. That is my biggest concern.

I think the rust comments are overblown as the crossmember looks good. You need to see door bottoms and bulkhead floor pans and battery box as well as the rest of the frame.

Other than that, no AC, no rear cage, jeep seat in the back.
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Looks like a plain old fiberglass top to me. Judging from what else I can see in the pictures... is it parked down at Cold War Remarketing on Hwy 85? Kinda looks familiar.
The craigslist ad appears to be gone, but if that is indeed where it is, I'll drive right by there this afternoon/evening and could stop in for a look if they're still open.
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
Looks like a plain old fiberglass top to me. Judging from what else I can see in the pictures... is it parked down at Cold War Remarketing on Hwy 85? Kinda looks familiar.
The craigslist ad appears to be gone, but if that is indeed where it is, I'll drive right by there this afternoon/evening and could stop in for a look if they're still open.
Howdy Rod!
I'm pretty sure that's Linden Engineering in Golden, I recognize the building. Dennis (the owner) is a good guy and knows Rovers pretty well.
http://lindenengineering.com/

Regards,
Art Vigil
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil
Howdy Rod!
I'm pretty sure that's Linden Engineering in Golden, I recognize the building. Dennis (the owner) is a good guy and knows Rovers pretty well.

Regards,
Art Vigil
Yep! It's Linden in Golden. I've talked to Dennis a few times. He seems like a pretty great, and totally funny South African (? Maybe Kiwi) guy. my buddy went by to shoot some photos but isn't a car guy so he missed a bunch of stuff. Anybody near with extra time that wants to check it out would be great!
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil View Post
Howdy Rod!

Regards,
Art Vigil
Hi Art!
Nice to know you're still in the country! I hope all is well. You're absolutely right. The metal garage looked right but not the art work. Actually, Dennis was there the first time I went to Cold War. Maybe he used to do some work there, probably 10 years ago.
Anyway, I was also headed by Dennis' place. Didn't have much time. Only talked to Dennis long enough to ask if it was okay to have a look at the 90. He looked busy any how. My impressions- From a distance it looks pretty darn clean. Up close it shows a little wear. The frame is suprisingly good, very little sign of rust. The rear crossmember looks good. It has a coat of paint on it, but looks like it's just to cover cosmetic rust, they all seem to get that. Battery box looks good. The gas tank skid plate looked good. The door sills look great but the door bottoms show some sign of rust and, if I'm not mistaken, maybe some repair, too. If so , it was a good job. Hinges seemed good. The stuff that really showed signs of rust were all the powder coated stuff. Like where the front roll protection (A pillar?) mounts to the front fender, rust had bubbled up the powder coat pretty good. Same for where the tow package mounts to the rear crossmember. Yeah, the brushguard, or a- bar maybe, is gone and the bumper shows some rust. Is it a respray , maybe? Where the paint is pitted on the hood and doors it's white underneath. Seems like a strange primer color... the footwell I could see was red so if it was a respray it was a thorough job, anyway. Badge # was 2118. Don't know if there's someone here savvy enough to tell what the origional color was. Let's see...There was rust showing pretty good at the capping on the driver's side rear corner. Also, on the bottom rear corners of the fiberglass top there was slight sign of cracking. Not anything bad though. Driver's seat shows some wear but the rest of the interior looked pretty good. Didn't get the hood popped. I didn't have the time to get someone out there to get it open and didn't want to be the one to break the cable. Only spent about 5 minutes looking, maybe one of the guys who live out that way can give it a closer look and maybe a test drive. I just don't know when I'll be out that way again. Couldn't begin to tell you if it's worth what they're asking, I just don't follow the values. If Art says Dennis is a straight shooter I'd say you can put some faith in what the guy says.
Best of luck,
Rod
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
In regards to the white paint under the stone chips: the owner said it was originally painted Alpine White & was re-painted the red for an unknown reason.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, 95, ac, d90