94 D90 -- reasonably priced - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I recently had a dissapointing experiance in reverse...of course it was only minor compaired to this. I blame myself more than anything. I'm 48 years old an I should know better on sight unseen stuff. It's all perspective. I hate to cook it down to that but we are all grown. I choose the how and the who to do business with and learn from there.

That being said, with my 20+ years of being self employed you would think I'd practice better sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Since it is white, and a non-GEMS truck, I will offer 12k cash if you want to walk away Golden747.

Caveat emptor. Good luck suing him (in NY) as an individual (dealers are regulated, individuals basically get off scott free on things like this). This is why you must be satisfied with the condition of the vehicle before you buy.

Win some, lose some is the way of the vulture. As someone in the business you should know this.
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Any after reading the rest of the thread I think I have my $.02

Seller definitely lied about the condition (or lied by omission, really the same thing) but I have no doubt that perhaps he was misled when he bought the thing and needed to close the loss gap (and if he didn't then he is a snake, pure and simple).

Buyer if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. You buy and sell for a living, just because you're honest doesn't mean this d-bag is. But I can assure you everyone on this forum has been taken to the cleaners once in their life, I can almost guarantee you never buy without 50+ pics next time

and Wade, if that is your real name, at least admit to yourself and this board that you took someone to the cleaners, I would be shocked if it passes inspection with those frame issues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Haha Dave are we supposed to switch "people" with "Josh" or what? I wasn't pissed at Golden I was razzing him for when he buys trucks from this forum. I'd rather he stick to Craigslist and the ton of other avenues he has to be able to buy the trucks, and buy trucks from here after they've been posted here a few days instead of snatching up all of the "deals" since I believe the members here should have first shot at a truck posted here by a seller, without them having to worry about it being bought to flip before a member has a shot to go see it in person to ensure it's not a rusty turd. But as I said before it's really the seller who chooses his/her situation, and Golden solves a problem that a lot of members here have, since they have issues getting financing and Golden doesn't have those issues. I really didn't have issue with him buying this off of Craigslist.

I quesitoned why the seller wouldn't post the truck here after the forum has given him support on this truck since 2008, but now it is obvious that he didn't want any trained eyes to see this truck in detail.

still confused:
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Does anyone have a link to the add. A white, 14CUX, low miles rust bucket is just what I am in the market for.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
A link to what ad? The one I posted on the first page here????
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Doh, I am not sure how I missed that. Does it have the full cage and a fiberglass top?
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

This guy knew what he was doing. He sold it to me knowing I wouldn't see it till the money had cleared his account. And yesterday when I tried to ask for help he stuck to his story of "in my opinion it's a nice truck". There's nothing nice about it. I'm a big boy though. I can handle this, just figured I would share with our community what can happen when you take people for there word.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij

So, dump it to me at a loss.

PM me bottom dollar. I will take it as is.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:04 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
or you could sell me the transmission tunnel and then send it back to its original owner ---->
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m4v4gmGq5s1qm6oc3o1_500.gif
Views:	43
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	64345  
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

No Josh, just people in general you may have expressed more than others but I was not talking about you.

I feel the same way it is just human nature. When looking for my 90 it took over a year because I kept getting them bought out from under me while asking for more information / pics even by a few dealers on this site that were willing to take a chance where I was more cautious. For the record I was a cash buyer but someone waved cash in their face faster than me.

People just need to remember that the dealers take the risk and sometimes they lose the wins have to outweigh the losses or they will not be doing to long
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:26 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I feel the same way it is just human nature. When looking for my 90 it took over a year because I kept getting them bought out from under me while asking for more information / pics even by a few dealers on this site that were willing to take a chance where I was more cautious. For the record I was a cash buyer but someone waved cash in their face faster than me.

People just need to remember that the dealers take the risk and sometimes they lose the wins have to outweigh the losses or they will not be doing to long
x2 on this! Dave hit it on the head!!
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
No Josh, just people in general you may have expressed more than others but I was not talking about you.

Yup!

I have to say that the ONE truck I really wanted I got (the one I had previously owned and owe now) because Gustavo did not fight as hard as he could to get it.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yup!

I have to say that the ONE truck I really wanted I got (the one I had previously owned and owe now) because Gustavo did not fight as hard as he could to get it.
You're lucky you were in town that Christmas, as I think there were a few of us from the Tri-state area looking at that one.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:15 PM
FLRover
Richard
None

I find it interesting that community members get upset with the dealers for buying entry level trucks but not other enthusiasts who choose to sell their truck to a dealer. As a community member they know in all likelihood it will be re-sold for a profit.

If there is such an ethical obligation to the community then why are these sellers not held to the same standard. Present seller/situation excluded.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRover View Post
I find it interesting that community members get upset with the dealers for buying entry level trucks but not other enthusiasts who choose to sell their truck to a dealer. As a community member they know in all likelihood it will be re-sold for a profit.

If there is such an ethical obligation to the community then why are these sellers not held to the same standard. Present seller/situation excluded.

It's not the who sells what to who's grandmother, it's the quality of what was being sold. In the sellers opinion it was/is a fine truck. Whats being said is that isn't the reality even if you are/were uneducated about D90's. The representation is a, was misleading at best. As I understand it.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Your 110 needs a mini me?

-Jeff
My 110 needs a donor.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRover View Post

Everything can be answered with what I and others already posted above. Not everyones financial situations are the same, and a buyer with cash is often more attractive than a buyer who must first clear financing. If a dealer represents him or herself clearly and honestly to a seller, then the seller has the choice of whether to sell immediately to a dealer or wait for another member who may need to first get financing. Some/many sellers have immediate financial obligations, so it would be unfair to limit his/her ability to sell their vehicle quickly if needed. What I have issues with is when a dealer misrepresents him or herself to a seller.

We try to teach best practices for purchasing a Defender here on this forum, and that includes telling prospective buyers not to just jump on the first truck they see, or buy a truck without seeing the true overall condition of the truck first. What I was saying is that hopefully most sellers here have the time to be able to hold onto a truck long enough to facilitate a full inspection of a Defender by an individual before they purchase it, without having to feel rushed into a decision because a dealer is often able to close a deal with a seller quicker than an individual. But every seller's financial situation is different than the next, and if he/she knows she's selling to a dealer, then it is that seller's choice.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
RobTheGob
Rob
1963 IIa 88 & 1995 NAS D-90 SW

Registry
Reading this thread over a few times and looking at the pictures of the delivered vehicle sure makes me feel better about my recent purchase. I was having some buyer's remorse based on the amount of surface rust and slightly rotted doors on my 95 - but not so much now...

I appreciate seeing the pics and hearing about the discussions between buyer and seller - it helps me justify being paranoid! I could never buy something like this sight unseen...
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Basically you should have be incredibly attentive and run down any decent lead, havewhatever you want to pay in available cash (or at least able to withdraw from a bank within a few hours) and be willing to drive/get on a plane at a moment's notice if you really want a smoking deal.

------ Follow up post added January 11th, 2013 02:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjond View Post
Holy crap!!

If that is the new rear crossmember he installed, I would hate to see the old one.

Bummer to see this happened to you.
This is why I say to galvanize the replacement crossmembers. The paint/coating on them is absolute junk.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d90