Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:48 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I think this is the post where it all started in 2010.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26908
Do you think that's the same car? If so then the truck pictured in the craigslist add may not even be the same truck!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I think this is the post where it all started in 2010.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26908
That's Galpin's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieskins View Post
I'm sorry if you are dissatisfied with the truck- I am not in the business of scamming people. You really seem like a nice guy and I truly am sorry that this deal did not go as smoothly as had I hoped. I don't think you got a bad deal. I think you can sell this thing for more than what you paid.- I did not want to chime in to this conversation because everyone throws in their 2 cents, that's why I didn't list it on this forum. Again- if I have upset you, please accept my apology & I hope you make out well with your new aquisition.

-Mike
I really doubt you're going to get away with it all that easily.

The facts are what what we have from your listing, and from the pictures, and your assessment of the overall condition is what is really going to screw you, as it is not even close to the generally accepted definition.

*You said overall good condition, but this truck needs IMMEDIATE professional attention. The outriggers are in two different pieces, the crossmember is in poor shape, the battery looks like it'll soon fall out of the seat box, I'll bet the spring perches are shot, and the bulkhead and doors have been patched with duct tape or fiberglass. From KBB we have a clear definition of what "good condition" is, and this truck barely even hits the tier below it (fair) and is mostly in the "poor" to "fair" state at best.

And I highly doubt you didn't list it here just because you thought we'd chime in with our comments. You didn't post it here, because you needed to sell it to someone without providing any current or additional photos, and without the eyes of the enthusiasts here to know they see a turd when they see it. Yes, we would have most certainly called you out for only posting one photo of the truck - that photo showing a soft top when you said it has a hard top. Yes, we would have called you out on only one photo, because it shows you probably have something to hide.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:57 PM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

rjosho- whatever your name is - in the course of one day, you told me I could sell my truck for double what I sold it for- now you are criticizing things you know nothing about?? get a grip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:08 AM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

That will suffice.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:16 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Quote:
I'm done with this nonsense, good luck with a low mileage d-90.

You suck! Just so you know....

Douchebag move.

------ Follow up post added January 11th, 2013 01:18 AM ------

Quote:
I'm sorry if you are dissatisfied with the truck- I am not in the business of scamming people. You really seem like a nice guy and I truly am sorry that this deal did not go as smoothly as had I hoped. I don't think you got a bad deal. I think you can sell this thing for more than what you paid.- I did not want to chime in to this conversation because everyone throws in their 2 cents, that's why I didn't list it on this forum. Again- if I have upset you, please accept my apology & I hope you make out well with your new aquisition.

-Mike
I bet the reason you didn't sell the truck here is because you knew you would get more money elsewhere with less questions.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:51 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

not taking this douche bags side by any means (cause he knows what he got away with) but $24k for a 40K mile defender? isnt that a huge red flag? if it was close to as nice as the picture, shouldnt it be at least $35k but prob more like $40k. all im sayin is HUGE red flag
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:18 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Amazing!! Sorry to see this happen to anyone. Josh, I'm amazed you can kept on top of the info you do. Its good you do. I know who I'll check with if I'm buying another 90.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
rjosho- whatever your name is - in the course of one day, you told me I could sell my truck for double what I sold it for- now you are criticizing things you know nothing about?? get a grip.
I didn't say you could sell it for double, I said a dealer could sell it for double. Dealers usually take more than one pic, and the price was assuming this was in good condition to start and a dealer brought it up to excellent condition.

It's not even in good condition.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:54 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It might be fiberglass and epoxy. In this application, its similar to newspaper and bondo.

-Jeff

There looks to be some good fingerprints in the playdoh holding together the top corners.Some quick CSI work will identify the suspect who molded this high end repair into place!
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Another reason to wear rubber glover when working on the D90...aside from it just being plain olde fun...to wear rubber gloves (just kidding of course....I really only wear them loading mags! lol...)
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Douchebag move to rip off anyone with garbage....however, there is always inherent risk when buying anything sight unseen - and without the use of an escrow account or such to protect you.

So pretty silly on both parts IMO.

But I do feel sorry for the purchaser.
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I dont think its that bad....

Just needs a frame oh and a bulkhead and maybe some doors and a tub and a W bar and seat bases and a paint job and aseat box.

Other than that I think its fine.

It is a real 40 k mile truck right
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Another reason to wear rubber glover when working on the D90...aside from it just being plain olde fun...to wear rubber gloves (just kidding of course....I really only wear them loading mags! lol...)
Bill you kill me man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Ok - again - we all see the state that it's in, and I'm not rehashing things - just want to know what is this truck *reasonably* worth. No accident, flood, fire, whatever.

Do you mine it for NAS parts and then do a total new-everything build? If so, does that make a clear title worth 5-10k? Or more?
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB View Post
Ok - again - we all see the state that it's in, and I'm not rehashing things - just want to know what is this truck *reasonably* worth. No accident, flood, fire, whatever.

Do you mine it for NAS parts and then do a total new-everything build? If so, does that make a clear title worth 5-10k? Or more?
You haven't answered your own question - what would you pay for it??

Honestly, you can do it two different ways - top-down or bottom-up approach.

Let's start with top-down approach: you would have to consider what a 45k mile truck is worth in good to excellent condition as sold by a private party - say $35k to maybe $40k or so. Then subtract all of the things you'd need to have done to it as it sits in its current state, and repaired by a professional. Then take off a few thousand more since it's going to be off the road for some time, and you can place a value on the time you are not able to enjoy it out on the road.

Then there's the bottom-up approach: assume you start with an absolute turd and value it for the sum of its parts. Title, cage, rear step bumper, tire carrier, A/C, front bumper, side steps, etc. Come up with a sum value for those parts and that's what it's worth in it's current condition...add a few thousand dollars if it is driveable in its current state.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:05 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

In my opinion, it is a 12 - 15k truck... A few $ more if it still had a ST. A frame swap and parts will cost 15K, if a shop does it.

Old January 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You haven't answered your own question - what would you pay for it??
Ha - my question wasn't directed at me. Doing the straight math of mass replacement (as Ron said, pretty much everything plus labor to assemble), I don't see how it's worth paying more than 5-7k, when you could get a used vehicle in good overall shape for 25-30. Yeah, you don't have to go new for everything (bulkhead, seatbox, etc.), but many parts are unobtanium.

This isn't specifically directed just at this vehicle, but mostly about clean-title rustbuckets. At what point does the value reflect only the salvageable NAS parts?
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747 View Post
Yep. After receiving the vehicle today and explaining the issues he still claims "in his own opinion the car is nice". You can still smell the fresh spray paint. it was a scam from the beginning
I am so sorry man, my 85 D90 looked better than this

and I didn't pay anywhere near this
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

To borrow a line....this accurately describes Tim's postion in the matter...What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis. Yep screwed...

There is no up or down side...it's a loss.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:36 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

People are pissed when he does not post it here ( did the people here a favor by not posting it)

People are pissed that it was sold to a dealer site unseen that is going to flip a a large profit (it is a business they make the inveztment and take the risk and should be able to profit)

People get pissed when dealer that they were pissed off at gets the 90 that he purchased site unseen and it is not as expected (purchased site unseen risk was taken for potential profit and did not pay off)

People would have been pissed at the dealer if it arrived in new show room condition and he tried to post it for 2X what he paid when he was the one that took the risk buying site unseen (did not pay off here)

Soo confusing...

Maybe one of ECR`s customers looking to build a low mile clean title beach runner would buy it at a small loss? The title / Vin / cage are worth pretty decent money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d90