Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Kelley Blue Book on "Good Condition" - now I know we all know "no rust" basically doesn't exist on a 1994 Defender 90 ST, but I also don't see any mention of duct tape as part of "Good Condition".

Good:
54% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car is free of major mechanical problems but may need some reconditioning. Its paint and bodywork may require minor touch-ups, with repairable cosmetic defects, and its engine compartment may have minor leaks. There are minor body scratches or dings and minor interior blemishes, but no rust. The tires match and have 50% or more of tread. It also has a clean title history, with some service records available, and will pass safety and smog inspection.

Fair:
18% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing, but is still in safe running condition and has a clean title history. The paint, body and/or interior may need professional servicing. The tires may need replacing and there may be some repairable rust damage.

Poor:
Kelley Blue Book does not provide values for cars that meet this criteria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:42 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Kelley Blue Book on "Good Condition" - now I know we all know "no rust" basically doesn't exist on a 1994 Defender 90 ST, but I also don't see any mention of duct tape as part of "Good Condition".

Good:
54% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car is free of major mechanical problems but may need some reconditioning. Its paint and bodywork may require minor touch-ups, with repairable cosmetic defects, and its engine compartment may have minor leaks. There are minor body scratches or dings and minor interior blemishes, but no rust. The tires match and have 50% or more of tread. It also has a clean title history, with some service records available, and will pass safety and smog inspection.

Fair:
18% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing, but is still in safe running condition and has a clean title history. The paint, body and/or interior may need professional servicing. The tires may need replacing and there may be some repairable rust damage.

Poor:
Kelley Blue Book does not provide values for cars that meet this criteria

Judging by the pics what category would you place this turd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747 View Post
Judging by the pics what category would you place this turd?
Seriously though did you buy it based on the one pic? I wold like to see what he provided.

His ad is clearly a lie. Now I personally think all these trucks look better in person and one should really travel to see them before writing a check but I can understand not wanting the deal to get away. Is the cage at least in good shape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
more pics
Res ipsa loquitur. Caveat emptor.

That being said, I've seen worse......none that I would have paid over $20K for mind you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:53 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
but no rust
Need to take that one with a grain of salt (get it?)

KBB is talking about rust on the body, not on the chassis. Even Barry's truck has some rust on the chassis. On Defenders the question is how structural impacting rust is, rather than whether there is any rust.
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:54 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Seriously though did you buy it based on the one pic? I wold like to see what he provided.

His ad is clearly a lie. Now I personally think all these trucks look better in person and one should really travel to see them before writing a check but I can understand not wanting the deal to get away. Is the cage at least in good shape?

I spoke with him on the phone and I asked the typical defender questions ..
" I see it says in ur add you replaced the rear cross member, did that take care of all the rust?"
"are there any more rust areas that need to be addressed?"
"Is there anything else that you can think of that the truck needs?"
His response was besides the fuel gauge and a little rust on the boors bottoms (which I replied "that's typical" that's about all he could see that it needed.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
I spoke with him on the phone and I asked the typical defender questions ..
" I see it says in ur add you replaced the rear cross member, did that take care of all the rust?"
"are there any more rust areas that need to be addressed?"
"Is there anything else that you can think of that the truck needs?"
His response was besides the fuel gauge and a little rust on the boors bottoms (which I replied "that's typical" that's about all he could see that it needed.
What did he say today?
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post

Need to take that one with a grain of salt (get it?)

KBB is talking about rust on the body, not on the chassis. Even Barry's truck has some rust on the chassis. On Defenders the question is how structural impacting rust is, rather than whether there is any rust.
Haha, I basically said it needed to be taken with a grain of salt already. I disagree that KBB is only talking about body panels rusting in their tier system, although body panels are often the most visible sign of rust to a regular consumer. "Rust" I believe means broadly the presence of it; independent of whether it is on the body or concentrated fully on the chassis, and that is why KBB does not specify one or the other.

And for the record, Barry and I have compared trucks and mine has less rust than his.
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Quote:
What did he say today?

So i called him today and asked him why all these things weren't called correctly and then I offered to send the car back and him send me my money back. He said no. Then i said what if you send me $20,000 back (that would loose me about $5000 with shipping here and back and he said he considers the car sold so no. So I asked him to help me out with splitting the cost of the fixes That werent annouced and he said that he wouldn't be willing to do that either.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
So i called him today and asked him why all these things weren't called correctly and then I offered to send the car back and him send me my money back. He said no. Then i said what if you send me $20,000 back (that would loose me about $5000 with shipping here and back and he said he considers the car sold so no. So I asked him to help me out with splitting the coast of the fixes That werent annouced and he said that he wouldn't be willing to do that either.
Yikes
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Wow... And he is a board member... Painting duct-tape. Did he really expect that you would not notice?

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tim I'm so sorry man....that is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Time to turn it into a puma!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho

Haha, I basically said it needed to be taken with a grain of salt already. I disagree that KBB is only talking about body panels rusting in their tier system, although body panels are often the most visible sign of rust to a regular consumer. "Rust" I believe means broadly the presence of it; independent of whether it is on the body or concentrated fully on the chassis, and that is why KBB does not specify one or the other.

And for the record, Barry and I have compared trucks and mine has less rust than his.
I still haven't seen the cross member pics of your truck I asked for.

I recently saw a truck from a super dry climate and it had the same delamination of the cross member. Reminds me of our Formica counter top growing up. One drop of water Ina seam and it was ruined.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
If it makes you feel better I've seen more duct tape than that used before. It's always the white ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4244305106.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	64309  
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:

I still haven't seen the cross member pics of your truck I asked for.
Yes you did. It was posted in that same thread about yours delaminating, and mine not delaminating. There was even a photo of Betty White in my pic.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

As for the truck didn't anyone wonder why it was so cheap? 24 for a 40k mileage truck.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:32 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Looks like your typical chassis on these surf permit Ds on Nantucket. It is a shame that it was not represented correctly. Hope something gets worked out for you.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Not really. I've bought less miles cheaper and more miles for more money. Just depends on the condition. I'd pay more for a defender that was dry as a bone with high miles over a low mileage rust bucket any day

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
If it makes you feel better I've seen more duct tape than that used before. It's always the white ones.
Haha! Yes...duct tape! But NO RUST . Plenty of dirt though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	64317  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Yes you did. It was posted in that same thread about yours delaminating, and mine not delaminating. There was even a photo of Betty White in my pic.
I want to see a recent pic. You sent me one that was suspect. I also doubt your truck is rust free. Someone find me the pic of you following the salt truck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d90