'89 rangie needs motor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

'89 rangie needs motor

Perfect project truck for sale, was going to be my next project until the fiance reminded me of all the other projects . . .

The Bad:
Needs a motor. Heads can be easily rebuilt or just replaced for a couple of hundred bucks, intake needs to be hottanked. The really bad part is that the deck is 3/1000 out. With composite gaskets, it MAY work, though I'd throw a shortblock into it. Previous owner let it overheat and kept driving it, driver's side headgasket was destroyed. It needs slight cosmetic work in that one of the pieces of wood trim is nasty and the driver's seat is split.

The Good:
This truck is virtually rust free. Everything is clean, sills, floorboards, liftgate, etc. The only rust I've found is a bit on the bottom of the tailgate. Truck came from Georgia. Oh, and the entire top end is removed so you won't have as much to do.

I bought it intending to either toss a new motor in it or take the 3.9 out of the d90 and put it in the rangie and put a 4.6 in the defender or just part it out. As it is, I have no time to put into it and it is frankly too clean a truck to part out. Truck is located in Arlington, VA. As for pricing, I'd like to get $1500, though we can talk to a degree.

Tony Brooks
Kexby@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Fiancee says it's time to get it working or get it out. . . Start making offers! Will also consider trades for interesting d-90 parts.
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:21 PM
TOZROVR
rj clayton
1995 RRC LWB

Registry
Man wish I was closer...I'd love to snag it! I'm actually flying down to pick Up DRAARON's '90...that '89 would give me an '88, '89 and '90 LOL!!

It rolls right? Could I winch it onto a trailler?

just how bad do you want to see it gone?

RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2004, 08:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

$500

Follow-up Post:

Maybe more if I can see pics and it is a color I like.
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

post pics....I may be interested....I should be able to shoehorn a 350hp in there shouldn't i?
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Pictures are of the side and the back. It's trocodero red with a grey interior. It rolls fine, has newer brakes and tires, interior is really good save one split in the drivers seat and a piece of the wood on the dashboard. Headliner is fine, console is good, has an aftermarket stereo and 12 disc (rover) changer. Came out of Atlanta and consequently is clear of rust. It stopped, steered and shifted fine when I drove it. It needs to go to a good home and get going, but it's not a matter of life and death as long as I keep SWMBO in dinners out and flowers

All the parts are there, top end is disassembled saving you a bit of work. Let me know what other questions you have.

Tony
Attached Images

Old October 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Anthony by the looks of the pics it looks like you are in a project with the d90 and the garage roof
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Actually that 90 belongs to my buddy -- it has some opportunities in rust prevention so we've been blasting and refinishing the rear crossmember and frame. Just finished the seatbox and some rewiring on it. The garage roof is somewhere in the project line with paving the driveway (holy Christ is that expensive!!!), finishing my sunroom, and completeing the frame-over on the bentley in the garage. Will trade the classic for paving, 14 double-pane windows for the sunroom, a roof for the garage, or a MKVI Bentley chassis that's rust-free.

Can you see why I don't need a project rangie?
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Damn you've got one good wife. Thats all I can say. I am guessing no kids either huh.
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

She's still my fiancee until June 18! And yah, her level of understanding is amazing. Oh, and she likes to wheel, too! And she can weld. And she did a lot of work helping me rebuild the suspension on the 90. I'm a lucky guy.
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I am sending pictures to the DARPA boys at RIT. Unless Ron beats me out of it again.

Jim Pendleton

Looks pretty good. Sure you do not need a tax writeoff from RIT university?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

While a writeoff would be nice, money for any one of the aforementioned projects would be even better and would placate SWMBO. Or a set of lockers.
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:35 PM
npendlet
Nathan Pendleton

Lightbulb G-CART would love to convert the Rangie

Hello,

This is Nathan Pendleton, I am Pendy's cousin.
Currently I am one of the project leaders for the Rochester Instiute of Technology G-CART.
G-CART is a project established to transform regular vehicles into robotic vehicles capable of driving themselves.
Over the past year we have converted a 91' Geo Storm hatchback into the coolest Arcade Racing Game simulator, ever!

In the next year we would like to convert an off-road capable vehicle into a robot which is capable of navigating itself through the Mojave Desert.
We need to acquire some type of off-road vehicle before winter time, so we can have several months to install the navigation systems.

Just about three weeks ago I was out at Land Rover National Ralley in Moab, Utah.
I discovered why Land Rovers make such great off-road vehicles.
I also met quite a few Rover enthusiasts who were very excited about our project.
If you would like to know more about the project, please visit our website:
http://gcart.rit.edu

As far as your vehicle is concerned, I think it is PERFECT for our project.
After the National Ralley in September, I decided that a Diesel Range Rover would be ideal for our needs.
Since your vehicle already has a bad motor, it's going to need replaced regardless.
I would love to be able to convert your Range Rover into a diesel powered, self-navigating robot.

Right now the project has several thousand dollars of funding, with more coming in every few weeks or so.
I could flat out offer you a purchase price, however I think I may have a better alternative.
Since the project is sponsored by RIT, a non-profit university, any donation is tax-deductable.
If you think that the Blue Book value of the vehicle, or donation value, is significantly greater than what you are asking; then you would probably benifit more to have that as a deduction on your taxes.

I'm not sure what value you could quote for the vehicle, but keep in mind that RIT would provided all the paperwork to certify it as a donation on your behalf.

If you haven't already sold the vehicle, please consider our project, as I think we could do some very amazing things with your vehicle.
Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or comments:
nathan.pendleton@gmail.com

But mostly, If you have a few minutes please look at our project website.
We have plenty of pictures, movies, & other material for you to better understand what we are doing.
I feel that the work we're doing is very exciting, and quite revolutionary.
At the very least, we're making some really cool toys.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Sincerely,
Nathan Pendleton

web:
http://gcart.rit.edu

e-mail:
nathan.pendleton@gmail.com
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

ok pendy wife say I have to let your nephew have it
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:25 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
ok pendy wife say I have to let your nephew have it
Can I have the wingtops also?
Just Kidding.

I would really like to see Nathan and his buds make a computer driven RRC that went from LA to Vegas. And kicked butt on the Hummer that will be entered.

I have a couple RRC's I could donate, but it would cost as much to ship one as to help him buy one closer to their location. I could certainly be convinced to repay any favor someone here did for the G-Cart. With parts or such. I would even kick in a couple hundred with their tax receipt or something along those lines.

Nathan can you guys get ABrooks truck picked up if we get things worked out? If not then this discussion is unecessary. If you can get it picked cost effectively then politely ask him what he needs to make this happen. And if it is not within your projects means right now then thank him and let him get back to selling the RRC.

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 9th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ok, here's the deal, I've got two people interested as of Sat. morning the 9th. If they both drop out, let's talk. Like I said, I could use the actual dollars so that Aaron doesn't have to be offended by the roof of my garage anymore, but if worst comes to worst, and to save it from being parted, we can talk compelling offers of trading for usefull parts for the 90.

Tony
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Dave Lucas . . .

Your email is bouncing. It's an auto and is still available.
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:51 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Sorry about that

I have had sooooo many problems with Comcast email
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Sold, thanks for everyone's interest.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles