'89 defender 90 TD - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:02 PM
hobo chic
not you

'89 defender 90 TD

Please check out my CL ad for all details and photos.
I will consider reasonable educated offers, no trades. Defender 90
Please don't waste my or the threads time with stupid remarks.
Go get a hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...0-a-68160.html
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:08 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
This is our hobby....and we were trying to educate you.. at least your new asking price is closer to reality. Joining this forum only to try and sell your truck and then insulting the community won't get you any supporters here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:09 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo chic View Post
Please check out my CL ad for all details and photos.

I will consider reasonable educated offers, no trades. Defender 90

Please don't waste my or the threads time with stupid remarks.

Go get a hobby.

Defenders are my hobby...
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:10 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Exactly who is wasting who's time?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:19 PM
85Defender
Greg Micheal
79 Series III 109 ExMOD

Registry
Licked! Where do I send my $1? Does that include shipping?
97 Porsche Boxster
96 Mercedes C220
79 Rx-7 - (first car) - 5.0 swap planned
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:29 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
asking price...

well, the kicker is that it's RHD which is at about 30-40% discount in my humble opinion.

let me guess you are considering about 30k ? You tried Ebay, CL,....

Now if it was LHD, 300tdi would have most likely already sold.

or 450h * x + Uk price may be 3000 + parts .

I think easier to name your price then have us wonder.

Rover on
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:38 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

You come here with attitude on your second post and speak of "educated offers". Go read the forum rules and come up with an educated for sale ad.

Now that I've got that off my chest, it is a nice looking truck.
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:50 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch View Post
well, the kicker is that it's RHD which is at about 30-40% discount in my humble opinion.

let me guess you are considering about 30k ? You tried Ebay, CL,....

Now if it was LHD, 300tdi would have most likely already sold.

or 450h * x + Uk price may be 3000 + parts .

I think easier to name your price then have us wonder.

Rover on

Try again.... $55k
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Gentlemen. Let's be good hosts.
So. Hobo Chic. Here's the deal. This, like any other forum has rules. And if you don't follow those, then don't even try to dictate your own.
Now. The fact that the forum is public also means that there are other rules that apply. Those are called "free market rules." And those dictate that any good is worth what the market is willing to pay for it. In my view, your truck is worth between $25 and 35k. One opinion a market does not make, but at $25k I would be intrigued. At $35k I'd probably find a NAS.
Am I offering $25k? Nope. You disrespected everyone here, and these guys are my friends. Maybe if you were nicer someone might offer money rather than advice.
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:54 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Try again.... $55k
well plenty of nice NAS trucks at that price this goes back to the other thread running. Which is the better investment. Enough said.
Old February 8th, 2016, 12:51 AM
hobo chic
not you

Thumbs down lack of content

hello to all that feel offended.
I as a new member to the Defender Source site felt your welcome was hands down one of the worst I have ever received anywhere.
I have owned three Land Rovers over the past 16 years all well equipped and cared for. I have been around LR for close to 30 years. I truly do love these vehicles. I have spent many hours using and traveling in this ,my D90, and have through great expense and effort rebuilt this truck.
I placed an Add on this site hoping to find quality individuals that would and could appreciate my efforts and the quality of the completed project.
Every thing on this D90 was done by me and fabricated by me. It is not a catalogue queen built by hired hands.
I am not a newbee to LR or to quality fabrication and restoration.
Nearly every comment made to my add has been pointless and non pertinent to my add or to me as a new member.
It saddens me to find that this is the way people are treated who supposedly all appreciate the same Vehicle.
I find your comments to be insulting to both yourselves and the ones you post them to.
I was hoping to find someone who would like to have my D90 and maybe make a few contacts along the way.
But none of the messages received were positive, engaging, or even something to reply to.
I've had numerous conversations in parking lots in several countries about my and others Land Rovers that I will enjoy and think back on for the rest of my life.
Shame on you, cause this interaction has left the worst taste in my mouth and I hope to forget it as son as possible.
I have no need for such a wast of time as this site and the people that post such worthless comments.
From where I see it your not Land Rover enthusiasts your internet trolls that hide behind a great vehicle that deserves better.
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:09 AM
drbill
Bill Cooper
none

Price?

Quote:
hello to all that feel offended.
I as a new member to the Defender Source site felt your welcome was hands down one of the worst I have ever received anywhere.
I have owned three Land Rovers over the past 16 years all well equipped and cared for. I have been around LR for close to 30 years. I truly do love these vehicles. I have spent many hours using and traveling in this ,my D90, and have through great expense and effort rebuilt this truck.
I placed an Add on this site hoping to find quality individuals that would and could appreciate my efforts and the quality of the completed project.
Every thing on this D90 was done by me and fabricated by me. It is not a catalogue queen built by hired hands.
I am not a newbee to LR or to quality fabrication and restoration.
Nearly every comment made to my add has been pointless and non pertinent to my add or to me as a new member.
It saddens me to find that this is the way people are treated who supposedly all appreciate the same Vehicle.
I find your comments to be insulting to both yourselves and the ones you post them to.
I was hoping to find someone who would like to have my D90 and maybe make a few contacts along the way.
But none of the messages received were positive, engaging, or even something to reply to.
I've had numerous conversations in parking lots in several countries about my and others Land Rovers that I will enjoy and think back on for the rest of my life.
Shame on you, cause this interaction has left the worst taste in my mouth and I hope to forget it as son as possible.
I have no need for such a wast of time as this site and the people that post such worthless comments.
From where I see it your not Land Rover enthusiasts your internet trolls that hide behind a great vehicle that deserves better.
Hey, truce here! It is a nice looking truck; I'm curious about the price; are you still asking 55k? I'm new here myself and not an expert by any means, but prices I've seen on these Defenders on different internet sites and Ebay are all over the place. I know LHD vehicles command a higher premium. I just bought a RHD 110, low mile example, one owner truck from a fellow member on here called Derek. I've spoken with him several times and he is one of the nicest guys I've come across in the car hobby. I bought from him because he made me feel comfortable and his price was reasonable.
Sorry you got off on the wrong foot here; you know how the web is.... it's difficult to read body language and intent into the written word sometimes. it did seem to me that you got a bit defensive and that 55k is kinda high. At that number, it's not gonna be a quick sale. Just sayin.'

Bill
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:05 AM
hobo chic
not you

Thumbs up

thax for an actual interaction.
You are right prices are all over the place. And I feel that most are crazy. I put $55 on mine because it was on the lower end of things for nearly every one that is on the west coast.
That said Here is the break-down so every one can see.
the original cost of the D90 $3,700 I got a very good deal.
Importing it to France, where I was living, including all inspections and tags and paperwork $2,000.
So I'm up to $5,700 before I can even drive it.

I use it for 6 years allover Europe.

Import to the US: all paperwork for Exit and entry, Shipping to the west coast, duties, silly extortion charges that popup along the way, what do ya do they have your car, Inspections, titling, and any additional charges- $5,000

So it's in the country I've now got $10,700 into it. It took close to 2 months for it to arrive and clear customs.

Oh and for those not already in Europe add all that travel and time into the equation.

Then it took close to 3 months to complete all the rest of the import/ registration requirements to actually get a tag and be able to drive it on US roads. Not to mention all the little charges that go along with all that. Several hundred.

Then I start the restoration, 9 shipments from England later and close to $7,000 later I'm nearly there.

But you have to factor in the 450 hours I spent doing the restoration,
And I move a lot quicker than someone being paid to do it.

Where I am the average hourly auto mechanic rate is $90ph. And that's for lower skilled labor.

Get a quote on a quality full disassemble paint job.

Think about the cost of replacing nearly everything on a D90.

Factor in custom fabrication work and it's through the roof.

There are a lot of great LR out there and there are even more that are tired and worn-out.

That's one reason why the prices are all over the place.

Everyone uses and views there LR in a different way. I never went wheeling or rock-crawling, I used it as a safe dependable platform to haul my dog,wife and I all over foreign lands in any weather. It did it beautifully. I have put a great deal of effort into the restoration and would hope that the future owner would use it but respect it as well, one reason for the price. I would hate to see it just trashed for the sake of it and because it was cheep to get into. There are plenty of other d90's out there for that.

I know that there are many ways to acquire a D90 and many ways to ship and many ways to "rebuild" but this is how I did it.

This is basically a 90% new car, And I would hope that some one could enjoy it.
There are a few thing left for the new owner that I purposely did not do so as not to wast the time money or effort on something that would not suit the new owner.
It's a great little truck and I would argue one of the nicest in the US.
I stated that I was open to educated offers, the facts and the math don't lie. There are a multitude of price-points out there, and they usually have a reason.
Thanx agin for the interaction and good luck with you 110

Now lets see how many stupid comments this gets.
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:01 AM
drbill
Bill Cooper
none

Quote:
thax for an actual interaction.
You are right prices are all over the place. And I feel that most are crazy. I put $55 on mine because it was on the lower end of things for nearly every one that is on the west coast.
That said Here is the break-down so every one can see.
the original cost of the D90 $3,700 I got a very good deal.
Importing it to France, where I was living, including all inspections and tags and paperwork $2,000.
So I'm up to $5,700 before I can even drive it.

I use it for 6 years allover Europe.

Import to the US: all paperwork for Exit and entry, Shipping to the west coast, duties, silly extortion charges that popup along the way, what do ya do they have your car, Inspections, titling, and any additional charges- $5,000

So it's in the country I've now got $10,700 into it. It took close to 2 months for it to arrive and clear customs.

Oh and for those not already in Europe add all that travel and time into the equation.

Then it took close to 3 months to complete all the rest of the import/ registration requirements to actually get a tag and be able to drive it on US roads. Not to mention all the little charges that go along with all that. Several hundred.

Then I start the restoration, 9 shipments from England later and close to $7,000 later I'm nearly there.

But you have to factor in the 450 hours I spent doing the restoration,
And I move a lot quicker than someone being paid to do it.

Where I am the average hourly auto mechanic rate is $90ph. And that's for lower skilled labor.

Get a quote on a quality full disassemble paint job.

Think about the cost of replacing nearly everything on a D90.

Factor in custom fabrication work and it's through the roof.

There are a lot of great LR out there and there are even more that are tired and worn-out.

That's one reason why the prices are all over the place.

Everyone uses and views there LR in a different way. I never went wheeling or rock-crawling, I used it as a safe dependable platform to haul my dog,wife and I all over foreign lands in any weather. It did it beautifully. I have put a great deal of effort into the restoration and would hope that the future owner would use it but respect it as well, one reason for the price. I would hate to see it just trashed for the sake of it and because it was cheep to get into. There are plenty of other d90's out there for that.

I know that there are many ways to acquire a D90 and many ways to ship and many ways to "rebuild" but this is how I did it.

This is basically a 90% new car, And I would hope that some one could enjoy it.
There are a few thing left for the new owner that I purposely did not do so as not to wast the time money or effort on something that would not suit the new owner.
It's a great little truck and I would argue one of the nicest in the US.
I stated that I was open to educated offers, the facts and the math don't lie. There are a multitude of price-points out there, and they usually have a reason.
Thanx agin for the interaction and good luck with you 110

Now lets see how many stupid comments this gets.
I've had 40+ cars in the last 25 years and put countless hours of my own blood, sweat and tears into them. When I've sold them on, I've never been able to get paid for that. I call that "the hobby" part of owning classic cars! Consider it icing on the cake if you sell it on and get paid for your own labor. The market is what it is.
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Hey Hobo,
Look. The problem is not the truck. The problem is that the market for RHDs is really tough in the US.
Given that the starting cost for a beat down LHD is virtually the same than for an RHD, pouring tens of thousands of dollars in parts and labor on an LHD is breakeven at best. For an RHD it is almost invariably a negative return.
It's really not unlike fixing up a great house in a horrible neighborhood. You know what you out into it, but the market can't beat it.
For comparisons' sake, there was a NAS 90 in decent shape that just sold for around $40k. There's a market for those babies, because they are as close to a limited edition as you'll find in the US and people buy them for that reason. Thus they keep their value.
On the other hand, there are countless RHDs routinely going for anywhere between $10 and $15k. So people do the math in their head and figure they can do a lot with $20-30k before they get near your reasonable offer range. Wrong or right, that's people's perception.
I, and anyone who's restored a late 80s ROW, feel your pain. Pouring a year and bushels of cash into a project to get some guy to give you half of what you think it's worth. So we don't do it for profit - and that's why we all got offended btw - we do it because it makes us happy.
Now. Some people do it for business, and some even manage to make good money. Look at their posts. They are almost invariably LHDs, and they have optimized their methods to deliver (usually) solid cars, with looks and feels not unlike yours, in the $35-50k range. So people who don't want the hassle of rebuilding a truck, usually will just get one of those. For a RHD I've seen the same vendors take 20-30% off. So that's the other bookend you're up against.

Anyway. I hope you don't feel my comment is trolling, and I hope it helps you understand the psyche of some of the people here, who by the way are usually really nice people if you give them a chance.
Good luck with your sale.
Old February 8th, 2016, 08:39 AM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
I bought my RHD ROW for 11,000 years ago. I have put close to that into it, and plan to put more.
I will never get back what I put into it because of the market it is in.
I put that money into it because it gives me enjoyment, and I plan on passing it down to my kids.
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I like your truck, especially the custom bits, bumpers and the grill. Nicely done and great proportions. As I looked @ the pictures the one thing that jumped out @ me as someone who builds these trucks from the frame up, no wipers ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:16 PM
rxcrwlr
Rover Dude
None

Someone forgot to take her Midol???
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I like your truck, especially the custom bits, bumpers and the grill. Nicely done and great proportions. As I looked @ the pictures the one thing that jumped out @ me as someone who builds these trucks from the frame up, no wipers ?
What? You never heard of Rain X!?! Wipers? We don't need no stinkin' wipers!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, defender, defender 90