Registry
I haven't seen the hasp before.
Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
So what is the estimated added weight of the full rhinoliner treatment?

-Jeff
A truck bed adds ~50lbs ... so 150lbs or so interior and exterior IME.
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:03 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Early 110's had the same cap, at least mine does with the hasp.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
Dave Thiessen
Dave Thiessen
85 Land Rover 110

Registry
Someone's going to play devil's advocate against that truck and say "but the rhino lining is good for dents" or "it's only tarmac pussies dont like the RhinoLining on this truck". If that truck runs great, well then that's the only thing great about it. I see this 110, and it speaks to me. I see myself in it. I see a reflection of how heartbroken i was after dumping a massive amount of money into a shitbox from a guy who imported land rovers and didnt care. That guy painted a beautiful picture for me, pulled on my heartstrings, even made a nonperfect vehicle seem glamorous and the idea of a foreign 110 was even better than a NAS... and made me learn a hard lesson. Everybody learns. Some poor guy who really wants a 110 is RIGHT NOW confused and floating in indecision from the tidal wave of terrible vehicle projects flooding in from England. Maybe some folks on the forum are annoying know it alls, but god bless'm because at least they can see the difference between a shyster's poop wagon and a diamond in faded paint. False Advertising is all over the add, and it makes ALL the difference.
00 DII- RIP
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

I will go back and look again but I like it. I am a believer in rhinolining. Sure this one has personal touches but it looks cool and functional. Not sure what I am missing. No rust is being shown.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelandy33 View Post
No rust is being shown.
Precisely the problem.

No pictures of the bulkhead and possible rust, no pictures of the frame, and none of the door bottoms.

It would probably be trivial to find a cheap donor 110 for replacement body panels.

The interior seems to be in pretty good condition.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I'm certainly not saying I know anything about the truck; but neither do you. There are plenty of great imported trucks in this country. Because you don't like the way it looks is not a valid reason to assume that the buyer of this truck will be cheated.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but this forum is supposed to be about substance and you should not start a thread bashing a truck you know nothing about. Your not wanting to invest in a plane ticket prior to making a purchase is no reason to feel scorned.

This truck is already in the country and seems to be listed by a car dealer. I am fairly certain that if you inquired you could likely take it for a test drive.

I'm selling a truck currently and the buyer has done his homework and knows what he is getting. I actually told him that I wouldn't sell it to him unless he was 100% comfortable with what he was purchasing.

I think a useful post could be an outline of your experience and the repairs the truck needed (and/or where you brought your truck for repairs). A post warning other members not to buy a Defender from the person who sold you your truck would also be helpful.

If we are going to post warnings on here for "poor victims" there should be a reason. If I had posted my truck on ebay and you had done this to me I would be furious.

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thiessen View Post
Someone's going to play devil's advocate against that truck and say "but the rhino lining is good for dents" or "it's only tarmac pussies dont like the RhinoLining on this truck". If that truck runs great, well then that's the only thing great about it. I see this 110, and it speaks to me. I see myself in it. I see a reflection of how heartbroken i was after dumping a massive amount of money into a shitbox from a guy who imported land rovers and didnt care. That guy painted a beautiful picture for me, pulled on my heartstrings, even made a nonperfect vehicle seem glamorous and the idea of a foreign 110 was even better than a NAS... and made me learn a hard lesson. Everybody learns. Some poor guy who really wants a 110 is RIGHT NOW confused and floating in indecision from the tidal wave of terrible vehicle projects flooding in from England. Maybe some folks on the forum are annoying know it alls, but god bless'm because at least they can see the difference between a shyster's poop wagon and a diamond in faded paint. False Advertising is all over the add, and it makes ALL the difference.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

No pictures of the bulkhead and possible rust, no pictures of the frame, and none of the door bottoms.
Right...sooo....contact seller about those areas? Its really up to the buyer to ask questions. I am still not seeing what is wrong with this one.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
Full Rhino/bed coat may not be everyones taste, and yes may drop resale value, but its a very appropriate finish for a truck that is actually taken off road. (yes that was a poke at all the tarmac pussies out there)
I think how serious of an offroader you are is directly proportional to how much you spend on your JL audio system. So since this guy spent $30k on his JL system on his trail rig, he is definitely a hard core offroader.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
NOT MINE- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...item19d83fecf4

Too bad ebay doesnt allow comments. At least the truck doesn't look rusted out. I love how they had the badge made to reflect 001/500 on an 85, and leave it as RHD after they swapped it to LHD.

Some poor bastard is going to do what I did, buy a truck blind, and find out too late he's not getting what he wants.
You sound bitter ... but the cause seams to be of your own making.

'Some poor bastard' who buys a truck blind is also not likely to get what they imagine the truck might be ...

caveat emptor
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

I like it. Rhino Lining is useful but maybe not over the entire truck. I could see it as a waist line and down option.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Dave Thiessen
Dave Thiessen
85 Land Rover 110

Registry
Sure Ben, I'm a bitter dummy and it's my own fault. I would say that if you posted your truck on ebay, you as someone who appreciate's these trucks would do a better job selling it for what it was. No sarcasm. Truth, I really dont care about the rhino line, I think it's ugly but whatever. I cringe at the false advertising, to paint a picture of the truck that it's not.. IE special, collector, 1/500 (obviously not). We can scoff at it, but that's a big tipping point for european trucks coming into the country. My truck is ROW too, but it's not special, or collector, or anything else. Sorry for the soap box everybody.
00 DII- RIP
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Dave:

Below is the seller's information. Seeing as you are so concerned, you should contact them and let them know that the badge on the back is meaningless. Your initial post is useless and the appropriate action would have been to reach out to ebay or the seller.

Associated Fleet Corp
200 E Palmetto Park Rd
Boca Raton, Florida 33432
Ask for: Joseph R. Wihbey
Cell: 954-603-2000
Fax: 954-697-2235
Office: 561-922-6884

Quote:
Sure Ben, I'm a bitter dummy and it's my own fault. I would say that if you posted your truck on ebay, you as someone who appreciate's these trucks would do a better job selling it for what it was. No sarcasm. Truth, I really dont care about the rhino line, I think it's ugly but whatever. I cringe at the false advertising, to paint a picture of the truck that it's not.. IE special, collector, 1/500 (obviously not). We can scoff at it, but that's a big tipping point for european trucks coming into the country. My truck is ROW too, but it's not special, or collector, or anything else. Sorry for the soap box everybody.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelandy33 View Post
I am a believer in rhinolining. Sure this one has personal touches but it looks cool and functional. Not sure what I am missing.
IF the Rhino was sprayed with the body in situ, then it will be nie on impossible to ever disassemble it in the future. IMO, that makes it an anti-functional coating. Likewise, IF the interior was sprayed insitu, then it is an uber anti-functional coating. YMMV

There is a time and place for bed liners, for some applications. If applied to pieces separately, so that future disassembly can be ensured, then it can make sense.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Dave:

Below is the seller's information. Seeing as you are so concerned, you should contact them and let them know that the badge on the back is meaningless. Your initial post is useless and the appropriate action would have been to reach out to ebay or the seller.

Associated Fleet Corp
200 E Palmetto Park Rd
Boca Raton, Florida 33432
Ask for: Joseph R. Wihbey
Cell: 954-603-2000
Fax: 954-697-2235
Office: 561-922-6884
Ben,
Discussing random trucks on this board is quite common, as is trash talking and nit-picking the strange ones. I think Dave is simply lameting on his own buying experience and telling everyone caveat emptor.

------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2013 01:53 PM ------

Quote:
Ben, have you an Cougar been hanging out?

-Jeff
No kidding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

LOL

No, my posts have substance. I'm not even a fan of this truck in all honesty.

Quote:
Ben, have you an Cougar been hanging out?

-Jeff
------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2013 02:00 PM ------

Trash talking and saying something is ugly should not fall under the thread "awaiting another poor victim".

Dave knows nothing about the truck. This could be an ECR restoration redone with Rhino for all he knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Ben,
Discussing random trucks on this board is quite common, as is trash talking and nit-picking the strange ones. I think Dave is simply lameting on his own buying experience and telling everyone caveat emptor.

------ Follow up post added January 23rd, 2013 01:53 PM ------

No kidding!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
I see this 110, and it speaks to me. I see myself in it. I see a reflection of how heartbroken i was after dumping a massive amount of money into a shitbox from a guy who imported land rovers and didnt care. That guy painted a beautiful picture for me, pulled on my heartstrings, even made a nonperfect vehicle seem glamorous and the idea of a foreign 110 was even better than a NAS... and made me learn a hard lesson.
So your truck was already in the country and you did not see it, inspect it or test drive it before you purchased it? Perhaps your focus is better directed towards warning people about the individual who sold you yours, as you give the impression he imported more than just one. Remember there is an a$$ for every seat and we have all seen enough rough trucks sell for stupid money, purchased by others who did not do their appropriate research. Plus he did not make you learn that hard lesson as you say, your purchasing the truck made you learn that lesson.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Dave Thiessen
Dave Thiessen
85 Land Rover 110

Registry
The peanut gallery turns inward..... Very well. I already said it was my fault. I also apologized for the rant. I didnt feel I really had the option to see my truck when I bought it in anything other than pictures because I was deployed, my wife had just rolled and destoyed my DII, I had a 109 in pieces and other trucks I had tried to have friends check out disappeared too quickly to grab. Went for it with fingers crossed and lost big. The saga of my truck is long, sad, expensive, and if you PM me i'll tell you who I bought it from but I'm waiting and massing my ammo for the ReBuild Page. Thankfully I've got some solid reinforcements helping me out with it. I asked the right questions and paid through the nose to the seller to have work done, but to say the work was done poorly would be giving it too much credit. I dont want to let this cat too far out of the bag before it's ready.

There are probably a hundred things the forum would prefer I focus on. My focus is how the vehicle is listed and advertised, which goes beyond just the plate on the back. Some other folks in this thread have even pointed out additional things I had missed.
00 DII- RIP
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Goofy is as goofy does. And that truck looks goofy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
110, ebay