don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
SALE PENDING Trade for 300Tdi Disco plus cash
Nice.

I think I was one that said get a Disco over a Defender. I think you'll be very happy with it. Not to mention a 300tdi Disco will actually be more rare than most Defender configurations. Plus it sounds like you will be cash positive which is always a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:29 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Nice.

I think I was one that said get a Disco over a Defender. I think you'll be very happy with it. Not to mention a 300tdi Disco will actually be more rare than most Defender configurations. Plus it sounds like you will be cash positive which is always a good thing.
Yes I look forward to it, I am picking it up Saturday.
And the cash positive thing is great. Will post a build list when I get it. I will also earmark some for repairs and a new computer
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:39 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
But I am being offered way below what I need for a Defender.
Correction: You are being offered below what you need for the defender you want. If I understand it correctly, you are dead-set on a tdi. You could be in a Defender within a month. Carmax or some other such place will cut you a check for that FJ if you don't want to go through the hassle of finding a buyer.

There are plenty of ROW models on this board seemingly every day for the money you can get for that FJ - you just have to live with a V8 or a 2.5 NA for a while. It will be character building, trust me.

I've been in the work force for 15 years, and just last year was able to 'afford' a Defender. The most I could afford was a beat up ROW with a 2.5 NA. That being said, I'm glad I bought the truck I have as opposed to waiting till I could afford a NAS or a tdi ROW. I used to own a discovery; I'm glad I have my 110.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure at some point in this thread I discouraged you from selling a reliable vehicle when your primary concern should be getting through (and apparently paying for) school. What the hell, live a little. What is it that kids say these days? YOLO? 'When I was your age' I was making "dumb" vehicle decisions too... but they were motorcycles, and I'll never regret a single one of em'. I bought my first motorcycle with $900 dollars cash, and $600 drawn from an ATM with a credit card (when I realized my bank would let me do that). It didn't cut into my bar funds... but I'm pretty sure I didn't eat much for about 4-5 months

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2014 12:40 AM ------

oh. Just caught up with the thread. Disregard all. Enjoy your disco!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014, 12:46 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Correction: You are being offered below what you need for the defender you want. If I understand it correctly, you are dead-set on a tdi. You could be in a Defender within a month. Carmax or some other such place will cut you a check for that FJ if you don't want to go through the hassle of finding a buyer.

There are plenty of ROW models on this board seemingly every day for the money you can get for that FJ - you just have to live with a V8 or a 2.5 NA for a while. It will be character building, trust me.

I've been in the work force for 15 years, and just last year was able to 'afford' a Defender. The most I could afford was a beat up ROW with a 2.5 NA. That being said, I'm glad I bought the truck I have as opposed to waiting till I could afford a NAS or a tdi ROW. I used to own a discovery; I'm glad I have my 110.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure at some point in this thread I discouraged you from selling a reliable vehicle when your primary concern should be getting through (and apparently paying for) school. What the hell, live a little. What is it that kids say these days? YOLO? 'When I was your age' I was making "dumb" vehicle decisions too... but they were motorcycles, and I'll never regret a single one of em'. I bought my first motorcycle with $900 dollars cash, and $600 drawn from an ATM with a credit card (when I realized my bank would let me do that). It didn't cut into my bar funds... but I'm pretty sure I didn't eat much for about 4-5 months

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2014 12:40 AM ------

oh. Just caught up with the thread. Disregard all. Enjoy your disco!
Glad to see you caught up; what changed your mind?
I plan to enjoy the Disco! We(my housemate, two friends from NY and I are taking it up to the Rockies for Spring Break, going to be a blast!)
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:01 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
What changed my mind? To be honest I'm probably just less grumpy today, is all.

Your logic makes sense with the disco seeing as how if you had a 2.5 110 it would take you half of spring break just to get to NY.

Old January 13th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
If you're looking to wheel on a budget Rovers may not be your thing writ large. May be better to launch the FJ and get a proper offroading Toyota...like a Tacoma
FJs are a little better off road than the Taco is. Less overhang with equally crappy visibility. I would keep the FJ.

Honestly, I would keep the FJ and then have a Rover on the side. Is this going to be your only vehicle? If so, then I reemphasize keeping the FJ. It is nice to have something that you know will always work, every morning. And by work, I mean more than just start. I mean windows, lamps, wipers, etc...
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Just caught up with the thread: enjoy your new ride!!!
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
FJs are a little better off road than the Taco is. Less overhang with equally crappy visibility. I would keep the FJ.

Honestly, I would keep the FJ and then have a Rover on the side. Is this going to be your only vehicle? If so, then I reemphasize keeping the FJ. It is nice to have something that you know will always work, every morning. And by work, I mean more than just start. I mean windows, lamps, wipers, etc...
Not sure which year Taco you are talking about; I'm not referring to the baby Tundra generation but rather the original; and never had any vis issues (nor do I now) anywhere akin to the FJ.

Likewise, DD'ing a Rover often makes it so everything works...attention is like that.
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Not sure which year Taco you are talking about; I'm not referring to the baby Tundra generation but rather the original; and never had any vis issues (nor do I now) anywhere akin to the FJ.

Likewise, DD'ing a Rover often makes it so everything works...attention is like that.
They are both, any generation, built on good platforms and are pretty similar off road.

True, to DD anything can create a more reliable car but moving from a 2008 Toyota to a 19xx Disco will create a higher need for work spent on the truck and that means that he will be spending more money on parts and the needed PM whereas staying in a Toyota would be a smarter decision (in my opinion) for someone starting college. That is why I asked about this being his only car. I DD'ed my 72 MGB GT every day for two years. I also had an Explorer as back up. It never let me down but it consumed a good amount of time (sometimes at work) to keep reliable for those two years.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
One wonders which was the more reliable...the MGB or the Exploder...I mean Explorer.

I applaud Ivan's choice to move to the Rover as it is good for the soul! Harder or at least more time consuming, without a doubt, but that's the fun of it.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
One wonders which was the more reliable...the MGB or the Exploder...I mean Explorer.
Honestly, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned was that Explorer. '98 4.0 OHV V6 and 5MT. Basic with only a few options. It was bullet proof. The BGT was about 95% reliable.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:16 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:

I applaud Ivan's choice to move to the Rover as it is good for the soul! Harder or at least more time consuming, without a doubt, but that's the fun of it.
I can't wait to go get it! I have wanted a LR for years and I am finally getting one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
They are both, any generation, built on good platforms and are pretty similar off road.

True, to DD anything can create a more reliable car but moving from a 2008 Toyota to a 19xx Disco will create a higher need for work spent on the truck and that means that he will be spending more money on parts and the needed PM whereas staying in a Toyota would be a smarter decision (in my opinion) for someone starting college. That is why I asked about this being his only car. I DD'ed my 72 MGB GT every day for two years. I also had an Explorer as back up. It never let me down but it consumed a good amount of time (sometimes at work) to keep reliable for those two years.
I am finishing college, this is my last year. Just the first time I needed to get a loan.
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Enjoy it! Have fun! Remember: One Life, Live It
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
Enjoy it! Have fun! Remember: One Life, Live It
Amen!

Couple of thoughts from the way home:
Lights don't auto shut = dead battery
300Tdi is slow, slow, really slow, and loud
R380 is the vaguest transmission I have ever dealt with
Disco is cramped
Poor build quality, everything rattles
Rolls a bit on turns at speed(if you can call it speed)

BUT I LOVE IT!
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:01 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Disco is cramped
You would have hated a Defender then

Old January 19th, 2014, 01:02 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
You would have hated a Defender then
You left out the bit where I said I love it!
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:07 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Amen!

Couple of thoughts from the way home:
Lights don't auto shut = dead battery
Disco is cramped

BUT I LOVE IT!
Your initial observations are exactly why Land Rover probably never really bothered with diesels in the US. If you think a Disco cockpit is cramped then you will never be happy in a Defender. Plus it's a 97 so you are driving a 17 year old automobile, it's going to rattle. Enjoy the truck, though. You'll probably like it a lot more than your Toyota in the end.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:17 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Your initial observations are exactly why Land Rover probably never really bothered with diesels in the US. If you think a Disco cockpit is cramped then you will never be happy in a Defender. Plus it's a 97 so you are driving a 17 year old automobile, it's going to rattle. Enjoy the truck, though. You'll probably like it a lot more than your Toyota in the end.
I feel the cramped cockpit is because of my size; as I continue with my weight loss it will get better. Also the Toyota is very roomy so the rapid change plays into it as well.
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I feel the cramped cockpit is because of my size; as I continue with my weight loss it will get better. Also the Toyota is very roomy so the rapid change plays into it as well.
Toyota seats are also farther inwards with more space between you and the door. Most newer cars after around 2004-05 have the seats farther inwards for increased safety and room for side curtain airbags. I always prefer the LR with the window down so you get the door as an arm rest.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:45 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have an 08 FJ as a daily driver. Every time I think about replacing it with a 110 or a G-Wagon I remind myself how it starts every time, doesn't drip, had great A/C and has driven thousands of times past the Toyota dealership without having to stop in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles