Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 28th, 2015, 02:03 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
2007 Audi A4 Avant Quattro

2.0 Turbo Wagon, silver, black and silver interior. Heated seats, drivers full power seat with lumbar, pass manual seat with auto lumbar, new(er) tires very good in heavy rain, quiet, 113k miles, moon roof, cargo cover, all pretty clean. I'm mixed up on my different cars right now, but I think I may have done the front brakes on this car about two years ago.

The engine does the stupid Audi 4 cylinder thing where it drinks oil. It runs well, we had the head gasket done for the express purpose of cleaning the gunk. This is typical for these engines every 4-5 years.

It's been a great car, but since I have the Series, the 110, and the Disco as well..... and then we went and bought a GL320 diesel and can't deny the quality, 4x4, seven seats, and still getting 24 mpg...... so the Disco and the Audi have to go. Besides, I have to pay for the install of the 300Tdi!

I'd be happy to take offers from anyone here on Def Source. And I'm happy to take more pics and answer more questions. I can't think of anything wrong with the car, but as you can see from the pics, it needs a detailing. As a comparison, it is probably as fast a an E46 325i, it is smoother on the highway and back roads, the Quattro is awesome, but it certainly does not handle the corners as well. The chassis isn't as stiff, and you can feel the computers taking over much sooner than when doing the same corners at the same speeds in the BMW. If you are careful, you can get 25mpg.

Here are pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmba...57648630426633

$10,750

If you run a CarFax, could you do me a favor and send me a copy?
VIN: WAUKF78E77A213920

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2015, 05:52 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
And I'm happy to take more pics and answer more questions. I can't think of anything wrong with the car, but as you can see from the pics, it needs a detailing.
Nice car. I've always enjoyed the Avants. Had an an earlier V6 5-sp as a DD for a few years. It was also silver.
You must be sarcastic regarding the pics and detailing as both are impeccable. GLWTS.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:14 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks. It needs the toothbrush treatment for all the small spots!

Here is a CarFax, courtesy of WhiteLandy33, if anyone is interested: 2007 AUDI A4 (WAUKF78E77A213920)

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:28 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
***Sigh***

This lady from nearly 300 miles away has been asking about the car. She has really done her homework and knows what she wants. However.....

She wanted me to take the car in to get it inspected for $150, and I was supposed to pay for it. I talked her out of me paying for it, but gladly took the car to the mechanic of her choice. (The guy is really good, and I will probably give him my business when it comes time to do the Merc.)

Anyway... I know the car isn't perfect, it needs the timing belt done (which I actually may have got scammed on since it was supposed to have been done, but now that I'm inspecting the records for potential buyers I have to tell them I can't confirm that it was done because no one, not even the dealer, listed "timing belt" in the list of parts...) It has a slight coolant leak from the thermostat, and needs an oil change.

So the mechanic finds the coolant leak. But everything else I had known, and had told her about. I take work off early yesterday to get the car to the mechanic. I don't hear from her till 2 pm today. She says she wants to buy it for $7900. She's all excited. I try to explain that I just can't go that low. She says she really needs it to be ready to go on a road trip. I'm on the phone with her while I'm technically still at work, need to pick up my kid, need to get my other kid from track practice soon, my wife is still at her work.....

She explains, very carefully, that the car is 3500 miles from it's next service interval, and she really would like to have me get that done for her.

I've already told her I would come down to $9500. But it takes me a good five minutes to get her to understand that I should not have to pay for FUTURE scheduled maintenance on the car. She wants me to pay the mechanic to do the 115k service, the timing belt, the coolant leak, and brakes before she picks it up on Thursday... I promise to do a careful analysis of my price this evening, and then get back to her.

So I rush home, get my dad to rush out and pick me up so we can get the car (25 minutes away) and back in time to do all the stuff I have to do, like... pick up my other kid.

Finally get there and the mechanic looks at me blankly and says, "I didn't know you were coming! She said she was buying the car!" He had left the car unbuttoned so that he could jump right into the work on it in the morning. Was merely waiting to get my credit card info, and was even thinking of giving me a call.

So my dad drove away already, and my daughter and I are stuck in a particular part of SE Portland, walking around, half an hour from needing to pick up my son, 45 minutes from dropping her off at riding lessons, and 25 minutes of drive time away with no car....

And now that I've looked up all the Avants in the 2006-2007 range that I can find on local Craig's List. Guess what? The average mileage is exactly what we have on our car, and our car is priced $1000 less than the average. $2000 less than average if you count what I offered to go down to.

Rant done.

------ Follow up post added April 7th, 2015 09:33 PM ------

Oh... And this is the fourth car she has had inspected. Three now by this same mechanic. So in her quest for the "perfect" car that she has already blown through $500. The guy doing the inspections just keeps mumbling, "She's a piece of work. ...a piece of work."

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:54 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
You're not desperate! Run away (ie stop dealing with her bs)! She's buying a used car. Period. You've already offered enough in concessions and have been completely honest. She sounds like the type that will find a way to sue you for something literally "down the road!" Sorry! My .02
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:12 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
You're not desperate! Run away (ie stop dealing with her bs)! She's buying a used car. Period. You've already offered enough in concessions and have been completely honest. She sounds like the type that will find a way to sue you for something literally "down the road!" Sorry! My .02
Yeah, if you don't need to sell don't get lowballed by her just because she thinks she has you by the balls, that timing belt service ect is going to run ~ $1500 I woulc presume and at that point you can advertise it as having the service done and easily get your original asking price...

Why get beat up by this one buyer when doing the service would open you up to a lot more.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:33 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I dunno about where you live, but around here, having a valid inspection certificate when selling is like adding another 500-1000 to the asking price. It means the buyer need only take the paperwork directly to the MVA and get tags.
I would also pop for the timing belt and the coolant leak to ease any prospect's mind. I'd do new brakes. Then when people come along and lowball you by 3-4g you can tell them to blow, as you will be dealing from a position of power.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:33 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
All very good points, and I'm 50/50 on all of it right now. Part of me wants to get at least some of the work done to be able to hold my price higher. But at this point, if I put $2k into it, that's my time and money, and that really only means I get to hold my price where I have it; that is to say, I am trying to figure out the balance between just giving in on a price vs. spending that much anyway, and holding my price.

By the way, my price is set so that I do have some wiggle room. Never intended to be firm anyway. But for some reason $8k is feeling awful low compared to the others out there now, and compared to what I'm starting at.

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:25 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, it is over the "glass ceiling" of 100K miles, which is a huge turn-off to most buyers. KBB sez it's a 9.9K car, but that assumes no major mechanical flaws, which this apparently has in the form of a coolant leak. If someone walked up to me with a 8000 bag of money, I would probably take it, with the understanding that she is paying for anything Mr Mechanic does to it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:06 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
SOLD!

Officially, this means I can start the 300Tdi project. Unofficially, I have no time..... DUOH!

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:25 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Congrats on finally getting her sold! I hope it worked out the way you had wanted! Good luck making Tdi time!
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:50 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Congrats, Ben. Are you going to keep the D2 for a while?
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:00 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yes, keeping the DII for a bit. Have to.... the IIa keeps breaking. The refurb'd radiator is leaking worse than it was before, only 2k miles on it.

Yeah, got a fair price, based on the others I see around this area.

1965 IIa SWB

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles