Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Bob Loblaw
Joseph Sweeney
2001 Discovery

2001 Discovery II (Kalahari Edition)

Overview:
Selling our 2001 Discovery II Kalahari Edition with 115K miles. This is an extremely rare truck. Only 6 or 7 of these were ever made. Its rareness can be verified through Land Rover UK.
The truck runs great, and has been meticulously maintained. While my wife and I are technically the second owners, it's been in the family since it came off the assembly line. We are hoping to sell this to another Land Rover enthusiast that can appreciate how special this truck is.

Higher-quality pictures: https://imgur.com/a/30tOh

Price listed here is $20K. As of right now it's hard for me to estimate what Land Rover collectors would pay for this truck. As I learn more, I will update the price.
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Recent repairs and maintenance (since 2013):
New water pump and gasket
New timing chain
New head gaskets
New hoses
New O2 sensors
Fluids changed regularly (brake, diff, gearbox, transmission)

Current issues / Warning lights:
Three Amigos (ABS, Traction Control, Hill Descent) - Have not gotten the codes read yet to see what the cause is.
SRS warning light is on - Passenger side SRS sensor is faulty

Note:
This truck was rolled in a single-car accident on private land years ago. It is documented in the Carfax report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	155672  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2016, 06:05 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
When the gaskets were redone were there any inspections performed on the condition of the cylinders? Has the engine ever overheated?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Bob Loblaw
Joseph Sweeney
2001 Discovery

JC's British here in Denver did the head gaskets. I don't recall if they explicitly said anything about checking the heads. I'll see if it's in the paperwork.

The engine has never overheated. For the last ~5 years, it's run with a lower-temp thermostat and an UltraGauge monitoring the temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2016, 06:37 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
JC's British here in Denver did the head gaskets. I don't recall if they explicitly said anything about checking the heads. I'll see if it's in the paperwork. The engine has never overheated. For the last ~5 years, it's run with a lower-temp thermostat and an UltraGauge monitoring the temp.
That's good. Sounds like you really kept up on the recommended maintenance, which is great to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:02 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh boy 😲

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:50 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Not pooping on sale thread. I thought these were all yellow, white, and gray (yellow most common). Is the orange original(hence the 6 or 7 figure)?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Not pooping on sale thread. I thought these were all yellow, white, and gray (yellow most common). Is the orange original(hence the 6 or 7 figure)?
Kalahari models didn't go on sale until 2002. Based on the contract number listed on the LRSV tag, it's not a Kalahari, but rather a TReK (see pic below)! There was originally a TReK event scheduled for fall of 2001 to coincide with the Freelander launch (2002 MY) that would have utilized both Freelanders and Discoverys. However, the event ended up being cancelled following the events of Sept. 11. The next TReK event didn't end up being held until a couple of years later, in 2003.

That said, all of the TReK vehicles for the planned 2001 event had already been produced by Land Rover and, with the event being cancelled, they were consequently sold on as new through Land Rover's Retail Centres in the US. Our group received two (2) of the TReK Freelanders, but we didn't receive any of the Discoverys. Specs are similar to the 2000 TReK Discoverys, but the paint is Tangiers Orange instead of Molten Orange.

Cool vehicle and best of luck with your sale!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	y8wM8w8.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	155683  

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:14 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I see. It says TREK right there. Thanks!

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Bob Loblaw
Joseph Sweeney
2001 Discovery

Thanks for the information, you really know your stuff. My knowledge on the history of the truck comes from our contact that sold us the truck.

Why the heck can I not edit the original post? I would like to update the price and information, but there is no "Edit" button visible for me.

------ Follow up post added August 15th, 2016 09:19 AM ------

Since I can't edit the original post, I'll just re-post the ad here:

Overview:
Selling our 2001 Discovery II Kalahari Edition with 115K miles. The truck runs great, and has been meticulously maintained (we are the original owners). We are hoping to sell this to another Land Rover enthusiast that will appreciate how special this truck is.

- Safari Guard front and rear custom bumpers
- Verifiable by LRNA and LR UK, Special Vehicles
- Never produced in orange until Trek /G4 Editions later
- Only a dozen made this year (6 in Orange and 6 in Yellow). Yellow and white were the colors selected for the 2002 production model.

Higher-quality pictures: https://imgur.com/a/30tOh

This is an opportunity to own a rare piece of LR history! Please ask any questions you may have, as I am the original owner of this vehicle. It was purchased from LR Roaring Fork. All offers considered, $xx,xxx OBO.
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Recent repairs and maintenance (since 2013):
New water pump and gasket
New timing chain
New head gaskets
New hoses
New O2 sensors
Fluids changed regularly (brake, diff, gearbox, transmission)

Current issues / Warning lights:
Three Amigos (ABS, Traction Control, Hill Descent) - Have not gotten the codes read yet to see what the cause is.
SRS warning light is on - Passenger side SRS sensor is faulty

Note:
This truck was rolled in a single-car accident on private land years ago. It is documented in the Carfax report.
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Erik@Lucky8
Erik
1985 D110 Ex-MOD & a few others
D-90 Source Vendor

Since you just signed up here to sell your truck, I will give you a little advice. Take it as you will.

While special vehicles are nice, $20k for a 2001 D2 with 115k on the clock and a roll-over in it's history is quite high. I deal in D2s all day long. You will most likely not sell it to someone who actually knows about these trucks for $20k. You will have better luck on eBay or Hemmings selling it to the guy with $ who has no idea that it's true value is less than $5k.

Again, not meant to be an insult, but it is a 2001 D2 with a bumper and a paint job.
1991 RRC Hunter - 2" OME
1985 D110 EX-MOD
Gone:
2006 LR3
2004 D2
2001 D2
2001 D2 - Lucky8 Project D2 - REDUX
2000 D2 - Trail Project, maybe
1999 P38
1995 RRC LWB

Old August 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Thanks for the information, you really know your stuff. My knowledge on the history of the truck comes from our contact that sold us the truck.
No worries at all sir, you are most welcome.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Bob Loblaw
Joseph Sweeney
2001 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Lucky8 View Post
Since you just signed up here to sell your truck, I will give you a little advice. Take it as you will.

While special vehicles are nice, $20k for a 2001 D2 with 115k on the clock and a roll-over in it's history is quite high. I deal in D2s all day long. You will most likely not sell it to someone who actually knows about these trucks for $20k. You will have better luck on eBay or Hemmings selling it to the guy with $ who has no idea that it's true value is less than $5k.

Again, not meant to be an insult, but it is a 2001 D2 with a bumper and a paint job.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I listed a price at all is that another forum required that a price be in the ad, and I've just used the same text. I didn't want the ad to get deleted. I figured listing a high price would be better than listing something way too low initially.
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:20 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Seen it around a few times and always thought it was a G4 with the decals removed.

Any pics of the damage prior to repair?
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Bob Loblaw
Joseph Sweeney
2001 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Seen it around a few times and always thought it was a G4 with the decals removed.

Any pics of the damage prior to repair?
Sorry we don't have any pics. I believe the accident happened in 06/07, and I was not around to document.
Old August 17th, 2016, 06:10 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Again, needs to be said, NOT a Kalahari

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
cover, discovery, disco