Registry
that really is a tragedy.
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
MP, very sorry to hear about it. It's a real bummer to see that happen, especially to something you built.
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

God damn thats a shame. From one fire victim to another, pass along my regrets to them as well my relief no one was hurt.

How sure are you it was the oil lines? My truck had the identical trail leading up to it and my fire was gas line related. The hood of that truck has almost the same heat warping in the same spot back behind the block as shown in pic DSC01052_1.jpg.

Anyway, if it was the oil cooling lines, I think this is the First 1995 NAS D90 I have heard of having the problem.

Follow-up Post:

Here are some of the pictures refiltered to show some more detail. Makes you sick to see how fast these trucks can get eaten up and how bad. Even more sick, not too mention helpless feeling when its your truck you're watching burn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire03_04.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6172   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire03_05.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	6173  

Name:	fire03_06.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	6174   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire03_07.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6175  

Name:	fire03_08.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6176   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire03_09.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	6177  

Name:	fire03_10.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	6178   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire03_11.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6179  

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

I am in total amazement of what happened. I still feel very much like it occured to me. It was a day and a half after the transaction. The new owner wasn't a rovernut, just liked the look of the truck. I was planning on buying it back when he lost interest. That truck was built exactly the way that I wanted to be. Shame its all gone.

I cant believe that it happened, I keep looking at the pics of the truck on fire. I am surprised that the gas tank didnt explode, it always happens in the movies

Good job CVC with showing more detail, I think that I am going to get more shots in the daytime from him.

I dont know what occured, he described to me what he thought happend and how it happened.
I couldnt imagine standing there and watching it burn up, and so quickly.

I am most thankful for no one getting burned and no personal possesions catching fire.
I will post additional pics when they become available.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
could it have been an oil cooler line?
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

CVC,
my oil cooler lines split and the oil caught on fire in the engine bay. I never saw the damage, but my dad said there was a distinct split in the lines.
Thankfully, a neighbor saw the smoke and had a fire extinguisher ready when my dad pulled over and put the fire out immediately. The only real damage was some singed plug wires, air conditioning line, and of course the oil cooler lines.
Just wanted to say that 95s definitely have the oil cooler line problem.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Jerry
Jerry Silverman
97 D-90 SW

From one fire victim to another...... sorry! and I'm glad no one was hurt! Its disturbing to see another truck go up like that. Mine was 92 Range Rover that went up like a movie set in downtown Chicago. Insurance company didn't ask any questions and with the check in hand I didn't wanna push the issue. I know the history with the NAS 110s and now a 90??????? I have 120K miles on my 97 SW and I am nervous as hell. After reading through all the posts and realizing that no one knows for sure what the cause of the fires are, what would you guys suggest is the best way to prevent this from happening...... besides the second fire extinguisher I added!

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Replace oil cooler lines every 5 years as a wear item and check for leaks at every oil change.
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
From one fire victim to another...... sorry! and I'm glad no one was hurt! Its disturbing to see another truck go up like that. Mine was 92 Range Rover that went up like a movie set in downtown Chicago. Insurance company didn't ask any questions and with the check in hand I didn't wanna push the issue. I know the history with the NAS 110s and now a 90??????? I have 120K miles on my 97 SW and I am nervous as hell. After reading through all the posts and realizing that no one knows for sure what the cause of the fires are, what would you guys suggest is the best way to prevent this from happening...... besides the second fire extinguisher I added!

What Ron said. And bring it to Hillerich's Garage. Ask for George - he is in the Chicago Club and has taken care of my 97 for 5 years,

I usually pop under the truck about once a month to check things out.

EwS
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Chris, what would be a fix for the gas line problem. I will replace anything that might cause this type of outcome.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billakris
CVC,
my oil cooler lines split and the oil caught on fire in the engine bay. I never saw the damage, but my dad said there was a distinct split in the lines.
Thankfully, a neighbor saw the smoke and had a fire extinguisher ready when my dad pulled over and put the fire out immediately. The only real damage was some singed plug wires, air conditioning line, and of course the oil cooler lines.
Just wanted to say that 95s definitely have the oil cooler line problem.
My '95 was the same. Luckily I got it off the road before a major carbeque as well.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
Chris, what would be a fix for the gas line problem. I will replace anything that might cause this type of outcome.
Thanks
From what was pointed out to me by the investigator, and maybe someone who can explain it better might add in, the gas line at the back of the engine was not reconnected properly after its last service, or may have failed. I visual I guess would be to make sure you dont see traces of gas around or misting at the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I don't buy the gas line issue. Unless you are pulling the engine it does not come off. In the engine bay it is protected from weather/rust and is likley at least misted in oil. No way the line fails there and not in the back in the wheelwell first. I think the investigator is off. To have a gas line cause yours, where every other one of them was an oil line just does not make any sense.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The point of origin for my fire was at the direct back of the engine. Just telling ya, that it was deemed. I gave the investigator all the links and information regarding the oil cooling line fires we have seen here to aide in any way in his research but despite all the info I turned over to them, last I was told, they wrote it up as the gas line failure.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodgorski
It was a day and a half after the transaction.
That has to be one of the crappiest hands dealt that I've heard of for a long time. What are the odds? I had something similar happen to me, but my D90 kissed a guard rail rather than burning to the ground. Its good he got out of it intact though. Still you hate to see something like that happen to people. A day-and-a-half! I still can't believe it!

DJ
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
That has to be one of the crappiest hands dealt that I've heard of for a long time. What are the odds? I had something similar happen to me, but my D90 kissed a guard rail rather than burning to the ground. Its good he got out of it intact though. Still you hate to see something like that happen to people. A day-and-a-half! I still can't believe it!

DJ
Yeah, but I seem to hear stuff like this all the time -- not to the degree of engine fires and total catastrophy, but how many times have you heard of one owner transfering a car that runs perfectly to another owner and then it starts crapping the bed? I personally sold an older Cadillac that ran great to a guy. Two weeks later the transmission dies.

Same thing happened with a Grand Wagoneer, except it wasn't a transmission. Also, a buddy of mine sold an older bronco to another friend, and the previously great running daily driver turned into a constant problem.

It's probably all coincindence, maybe it's Murphy. Just seems like I hear about it alot.
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:49 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Wow, I just came across this post for the first time. Setting up an appointment with Eric at Trailhead 4x4 in the morning to replace my oil line!

Martin,

Any updated news regarding this guy and finding him another truck? Maybe that one from Park City. How did that guys Insurance company handle all of that? I've heard horror stories when it comes to dealing with them for large claims.

Ade

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1995, 90, 95, defender 90