1995 RRC LWB TDI- Ca legal $18,500 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 26th, 2015, 12:48 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Don't worry, I respect cruisers enough to get the complement 😉 no offense taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 01:04 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pound View Post
Don't worry, I respect cruisers enough to get the complement dde09 no offense taken.
cool. It's a beautiful truck. Wish it wasn't so frickin far away. I'd love to see it in action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:05 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Thank you, sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2015, 01:26 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Having worked on it and ridden in it on it's first test drive, I'll be right in line behind Chris to kick you in the nuts if you sell it. Hell, I may even elbow him out of the way to be the first to plant one squarely in the crotch with my steel-toed boots.

Your nuts will be sorry...!
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:46 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Rough crowd down here in the Bay! ;-) I'm stoked to check it out today! Relax, don't start lining up on my nuts, I'm not there to buy it. I've got his 110 seats RURR'd from Canada.
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:11 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

It's okay, only Jeremy's nuts are in danger right now...
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:36 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Come on, guys! A guy can't raise funds to build his dream defender or what?!? Just a squirrel tryin to get a nut in this rough world of rovers😉
Don't worry, Dan(and Chris), I'm pretty confident it'll be sticking around. I started the "tinkering" stage on it again. You know me, once the fiddling starts, I go from "time to sell" to "not in a million years" like that! As Chris puts it...." You are so bipolar".
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:58 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

D90OverKill if you are driving by Livermore you should stop in and see my 110 and say hi. I'll be home about 6pm (hopefully, one never knows in my line of work)

Chris
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:42 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
D90OverKill if you are driving by Livermore you should stop in and see my 110 and say hi. I'll be home about 6pm (hopefully, one never knows in my line of work) Chris
Thanks for the invite. I would have, but I was through there about 4pm and went home the back way to avoid Friday night on the freeway! I'll get my chance at the Bay Area HH I hope.
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:27 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Also has newer optima yellow top, lift pump and dynamat thermo acoustic hood liner material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1051988438.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	114870  
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:48 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Not to crap a lot on this thread, but "Titled in California" does not make it "California Legal".

A 300Tdi powered vehicle is in no way legal in California. Getting it past DMV and having paperwork does not shield a potential buyer from a Smog Referee inspection down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:06 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Ok, and when "down the road" would any vehicle of a 1995 year titled as a diesel in any state,including California, ever be subject to a referee inspection? Pre obd2 vehicles, especially diesel, are in a totally different playing field than say, 96' on up. I've spoken to local referees and even they say "as long as it's titled properly, no worries." I had the same concern when I first purchased the rig, so I did all the research and made the phone calls. Being a 95' is an added blanket of security. Trust me, I've heard all about "this engine isn't approved for the U.S." Junk. Well, I think it's safe to say that a huge chunk of this community would be in trouble if they started calling up folks about their diesel titled vehicles. And actually, the 300tdi meets the "21 year or older" rule for epa emission exemption and is, therefore, legal for import into the United States. So, being titled diesel and having an engine that I properly imported for use legally in the USA, I'd say there is nothing to worry about. If it makes you happy, I'll change the title to "smog exempt rover that happens to be powered by a 300tdi for sale".

------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2015 08:07 PM ------

I also noticed you have a 300tdi powered rover as well and are in San Diego! Sup with that, my man??

------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2015 08:14 PM ------

Also, in California, as I'm sure you are aware of, if a vehicle is purchased from within the state, there are absolutely no inspections done on any clear titled vehicles. I'm not sure on other states laws on this, but I know that California only inspects a vehicle of purchased from out of state or if salvaged and in need of brake and light certificates.
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pound View Post
Ok, and when "down the road" would any vehicle of a 1995 year titled as a diesel in any state,including California, ever be subject to a referee inspection?
It has already happened. DMV and CARB went on a witch hunt for imported trucks, with folks having to remove them from the state as they would not pass a referee inspection.

Quote:
Pre obd2 vehicles, especially diesel, are in a totally different playing field than say, 96' on up. I
Correct. This isn't an OBD-II compliant truck. Never contested that.

Quote:
I've spoken to local referees and even they say "as long as it's titled properly, no worries." I had the same concern when I first purchased the rig, so I did all the research and made the phone calls. Being a 95' is an added blanket of security.
I think you are confusing a Smog Check technician for a Smog Referee. Referees are regulated by the state, mainly based at Community Colleges. They will NEVER agree a 300Tdi is CA legal.

Quote:
Trust me, I've heard all about "this engine isn't approved for the U.S." Junk. Well, I think it's safe to say that a huge chunk of this community would be in trouble if they started calling up folks about their diesel titled vehicles. And actually, the 300tdi meets the "21 year or older" rule for epa emission exemption and is, therefore, legal for import into the United States.
Legal for import into the United States, and legal for registration and operation in California are two very different things. You are correct that a 300Tdi is perfectly legal in most states. California is not one of them.

Quote:
So, being titled diesel and having an engine that I properly imported for use legally in the USA, I'd say there is nothing to worry about. If it makes you happy, I'll change the title to "smog exempt rover that happens to be powered by a 300tdi for sale".
I would prefer you change the title from "CA Legal" to "CA Titled" or similar. That's all.

Quote:
I also noticed you have a 300tdi powered rover as well and are in San Diego! Sup with that, my man??
I am a CAC card holding member of the US Navy. If you knew the California smog/importation rules as much as you think you do, you would realize there are exemptions for members of the military bringing in out of state vehicles.

Quote:
Also, in California, as I'm sure you are aware of, if a vehicle is purchased from within the state, there are absolutely no inspections done on any clear titled vehicles. I'm not sure on other states laws on this, but I know that California only inspects a vehicle of purchased from out of state or if salvaged and in need of brake and light certificates.
Again, the lack of inspection does not equal legal.

All I am asking is that you make clear to people that the 300Tdi does NOT meet CARB regulations. Simply removing "CA Legal" from any description would suffice.

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:53 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Not confused on who I spoke to. I spoke with a community college ref. discussing the 300tdi engine specifically was never discussed. I'm simply telling you what he told me about it being titled as a diesel in the state.
As for the witch hunt, you are right about them being after IMPORTED trucks. I absolutely agree with that, but this isn't an imported truck. Been here from the get go.
I'm not claiming to being an expert in the smog laws here, I'm just simply stating what I was told and I'm sure you and I can agree with it being a very low risk vehicle of being taken off the road. I'd be happy to change the title so people don't get the wrong impression. Just would need instruction on how to do so. Again, my apology if the title has thrown anyone off.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:49 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Rover is no longer available. She has a permanent place in my rover stable👍
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:50 PM
RoverPaisa
Abel
1988 40th Anniv. RRC Chamonix White

Registry
Amen

IG

My Website:

Abel DLT

Los Angeles, CA
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:34 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

..And your nuts are safe. For now.
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:01 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

Thanks for that, Dan. Much appreciated!
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:23 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

No problem. Hey, you want me to shoot you a pic of that Saudi grille? Or did you see it when you came to the warehouse in Santa Rosa? I don't recall...
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:26 PM
J. Pound
Jeremy Pound
1960 Series 2a

I used to have one, so I know what I'm in for! I think the only difference between my old one and yours is mine had mesh behind it. Right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles