1995 Range Rover Classic LWB - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

1995 Range Rover Classic LWB

I think this should be qualified as a "feeler"...

I've got it to pass inspection. It's got a load of new parts (see below). Runs smooth and drives straight, starts and stops correctly.

I've replaced:
Starter motor (Mean Green 'cuz it was for sale cheaper at RN)
Swivel balls, upper pins and bearings - now filled with one-shot grease
All seals from the axles to the hubs
Wiper motor - the whole assembly
Power steering hoses and reservoir
Viscous coupling (big difference)
Battery (Yellow Optima was crap, had an Interstate put in)
Track rod, drag link, and panhard rods with new ball joints
Steering damper (OME)
New alignment last week at inspection
Headlight assemblies (Hellas and all new buckets etc)
Liftgate struts
Waxoyled most of the undercarriage to stop rust (see below)
Miscellany small stuff (like dome lenses, oil cap, seat switch covers, etc) and I figure I'll remember more stuff shortly

Problems:
I think the PS pump is losing the fight.
Rust. Frame, liftgate, lower tailgate, minor in the front wheel wells, and under/near the decker panel. I had the frame rust covered with patches (intended to be temp fix to get past inspection) and coated it with waxoyl to stop the rust from creeping.
Price? I'm in for very nearly $16k or 17k. That's not the buyer's problem, but understand I'm unwiling to dump it for nothing because of that. From the outside and interior, the truck's as nice as they get aside from some parking lot dings in the passenger door. I mean, it looks great.

Because i appreciate what it is/was, I'd rather see it go to an enthusiast if I sold it. I do think, however, it's worth $5k or more.

Why am I selling? I'm not sure I am, but frankly, I don't trust the truck. i've had so many problems in the 12 months of ownership that every time I hear a noise I wonder what's next. I also have a beautiful wooden sailboat that I need ot get in the water again this year and, simply put, the Rover's eaten the boat time and money budgets many times over. I don't have the time to continue with the project, and the money will afford me the ability to put a true classic back in the water. I'm listing my Ducati as well for the same reason. I need my boat more than a Rover. I've come to a love/hate point with this RRC, but am desperate to go cruising again.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

ebay.

probably already looked into this but what about lemon laws?

I would keep it if I was in your boat (no pun intended)
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I'd do either A) eBay, B) autotrader, C) local paper, D) try to trade in on something on a lot.

Either that or keep it and keep throwing $$ at it until it's perfect again. Don't know your space situation, but may be worthwhile to buy another '95 parts truck for cheap.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've looked at this truck and while it has some rust- its got a hell of a lot of life left in it and looks great (recent repaint). For 5k/5k it would make someone a nice truck for several years. Waxoyl arrests rust. Matt has cured what ails this rig.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I'm not in the market for an RRC, but what color is it? Throw some pictures up.
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, Doug.

FWIW, last thing I wish to do is FleeBay... there's a pending lawsuit over the truck (title is free and clear in hand) because of typical eBay practices. I want the buyer to be a Rover nut who knows what's what (and will appreciate the myriad new parts I bled, cussed, cried, and went broke over).

BTW, Doug, sorry I didn't stop by this past weekend - I hoped to help with the 110s (and the D90?) but the "small survey" I was planning for just Saturday morning ate the entire weekend - bad rental equipment (I'm waiting to hear whether the $1M addition needs to be re-staked again now that the equipment's right).... anyway, long story short, my first weekend free of the Rover saga was not so free.

it's lunchtime, so I'll try to figure out d-90 pictures now. I've got close to 200 I think, now.

White, tan interior. It ain't showroom perfect, but I've not seen another in person or in pictures with an interior this clean. I'd guess 95% or more of the headliner is still perfect; only the passenger rear corner and the sunroof fabric are "off."

Atttempt No. 1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...wbwhite012.jpg

That's the only shot I have to hand at work... the rest are at home. I'll post more tonight.
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Emerson,

WOW - that truck looks beautiful. Good luck with the sale - and we will miss you on this page. Hopefully you stick around and buy another Rover product at some point......

Flagg
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'll stick around I think... invisibility has it's perks. besides... no guarantees I can sell this one anyway.

The thought crossed my mind that if I could unload Humpty Dumpty AND the motorcycle fast enough, I'd try to grab Doug's D-90. But don't tell him that, he's already got one fluky buyer teasing him. And I haven't told SWMBO about that brilliant idea, yet.
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Selling a Rangie in Feb shouldn't be hard but the Ducatti.....

Buy the 110 TDI- you know you wanty it ! Room for your surveying gear and your dogs in the back & 30mpg to boot.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

$6500 for a gorgeous black Multistrada with a few extras shouldn't be hard...

It's getting hard to think about selling either of these, particularly the Duc, but both?.... I need to remember why I need to sell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...S/b1bde2fd.jpg
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Gonna take that on a 3 hour tour?

That is a really nice looking boat.

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Ahh yes another satisfied Land Rover customer...now might be an appropriate time to post this rant I found elsewhere and laughed so hard I had to save it:

"Finally, let me give you some realistic advice about the oil pissing money pit you just bought. Although this is a hackneyed statement:

the day you bought that thing and the day you sell it will be your two favorite days.

Here's what's going to happen:

Since you bought it at a million miles, shit is going to break left and right. Even if some dbag who owned it before had some shit like 'one owner, dealer serviced' in the ad when he posted it for sale, it's still going to break. Even if the only off road it saw was when the asshole who owned it before you was when his wife backed it out of the garage and hit a rhododendron, it's going to break.

The idler for the serpentine belt is going to seize when the bearing heats up with no grease in it. If you're lucky, this will happen when you're driving into your driveway. I say lucky as when it goes, you no longer have power steering (probably doesn't work anyway, but I'll get to that later), and you also no longer have a working alternator. Oh, btw, the alternator is going to start squealing at some point, so you're going to have to replace that. Might as well get that while you're replacing the idler. OH! And grab a new belt while you're at it. Ok, back to the steering. The power steering pump is going to leak from every seal, pipe, cap, bolt, etc. Don't bother trying to fix it, just keep fluid with you and top it off when you get gas. You'll be doing that all the time since the pig gets like 12 mpg. Oh! and you're supposed to put hi octane in it, so be prepared to bend over once or twice a week when you fill it up. When you're ordering the parts above, might as well order the oil cooler pipes that pass by the radiator on the drivers side as they are going to rust through and piss oil everywhere on your way to work. Oh, another thing to add to the list. Replace all the wheel bearings unless you want them to suddenly fail on the highway and weld themselves to the spindle, while yanking the steering wheel out of your hand. It will be so sudden that you may think that you jerked the steering wheel while waking up after passing out while driving. It's great that you got the disco with two sunroofs since one or both is going to fail. Save up for some steel wheels because the alloy wheels on it are going to be useless after a few trips off road. Oh, more stuff to order - diff protectors since the paper ones that came with this beautiful truck are likely to piss like a scared little girl when the first stick pokes at them. Steering protection for the pencil thin tie rods. Oh! Almost forgot, the rattling you hear is the cats that have shit the bed. Order those. Oh! Might as well order some exhaust manifolds and gaskets since those are either cracked or about to crack. Do you have a dog? Do yourself a favor and order new hinges for the rear door. If not, it's going to break when you're on your way to get coffee at 5:30 in the morning while fido is in the way back. You'll hear a little squeak from the canine and look in your rear view mirror. For a second, you're brain is going to process what it's seeing. Yes, it's seeing your dog sitting in the back while the door is wide open, hanging on one hinge. BTW, the heavy duty hinges from Atlantic British are $150 bucks. I almost wrote 'probably worth it', but 150 bucks for fucking hinges! Are you kidding me! Since you're into the tune up and other crap up above for a couple k, might as well get the checkbook out for a few more things. Get a snorkle. It's like 400 of the best dollars you'll ever spend. (I'm kidding about that one, almost no one NEEDS a snorkle). Order the 100 dollar lift kit from ebay. You can put that on when you're fixing the hole in the diff because you decided to buy that snorkle instead of diff covers. Oh! back to your question. That hard shift is one of about 10 things. Get the checkbook out again and order a front driveshaft, that's probably gone, even if it's not the source of the hard shifting. Forgive me for forgetting what this piece is called, but there is some stupid flex disk somewhere in the rear driveshaft near the ujoints - that' s probably gone. Oh! Order u joints and put those on when you're under there putting the ebay 100 dollar lift in. Oh, one more thing for the checkbook while it's jacked up - order 4 new rotors and pads. Maybe you can make it a weekend and do the uj's, lift, wheel bearings, rotors, and pads. And steel wheels. OOh! You can spend an hour or so playing 'find the rust'. It's on the rear wheelwell inside the door, a lot hidden in the front fenders - not the fender part, the inner fenders. Doors probably have some rust too. Just get some por 15 in the color of your choice and spread it on. Don't forget to peel up the carpet as all that sound deadening material rover put on there to make you think the truck is 'quiet' actually trapped ever molecule of moisture that ever went in the truck since the day it came off the build line.

Just wanted you to know what you're in for. FWIW, I LOVED my disco, and unfortunately sold it to someone local so my kids have to tell me 'daddy, we saw your truck, someone else was driving it'."
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
photos? Where is the truck?
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Emerson took this truck off road with Charles Galpins club this weekend. I rode in the lwb for a while- she does great. This is a great truck for someone.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
photos
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
photos of the problem areas?
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

email address? Too tedious to host and link that many photos... I'll email all you want.
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

Emerson, where are you at in MD? would you mind sending me some of the problem area photos as well? rbd4a@yahoo.com. Also, if you wouldn't mind emailing me your asking price, that would be great. thanks.
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Make it happen, Robbie!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1995, 95, classic, lwb, range rover