1995 Range Rover Classic LWB - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

This is the truck that has given you so many issues? It looks like it's in great condition!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Man Emerson..........Keep the truck. It is beautiful.

Flagg
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

You guys are kind. There's a saying in boats (adaptable from and to anything else) that "a coat of paint hides 1,000 sins" and this truck is a perfect example.

The interior is almost perfect. incredibly minor wear on the leather (used to have fitted covers), headliner 90% (worst being the moonroof headliner, so I leave that hidden), carpets clean (always had mats), dash clean with only 1 crack up at the very front plastic piece at the windshield, and the most annoying part for me as a wooden boat enthusiast, is the lightly cracked finish on the shifter and centerpiece.

The exterior was partially re-sprayed - where the rust was worst, I suspect - and so it's clean looking. There are parking lot dings in the passenger front door - common.

So far the mechanical stuff is either OK or has been repaired/replaced/otherwise fixed - see first post.

The trouble is the rust. The frame is bad. The front wheel wells each have a small spot rusted through. The bulkhead/decker panel bottom have rust through. The cargo area has a duct tape patch from the PO hiding, I assume, more rust. The liftgate is rusted typically. The rear corner panels show old pitting that was painted over. The bottoms of those corner panels (where the lights are) are rusted out (now sprayed heavily with waxoyl hard coating). The upper door frames show varying levels of rust starting at the bottoms where they meet the window seals. And the front door sills (correct term) show rust as well.

basically the truck looks "the bomb" but has rust issues needing addressing, or it's only a matter of time, IMHO.

FWIW!!: I'm meeting Gary Landes, I hope, this week to go through the truck fully and see what's what and how repairable it is. I'm in so far it almost seems more foolish to cut and run for $5500 than to keep going, replace the frame and repair or replace the rest of the rusted bits. I bought it for a reason and to put a diesel in it.

If I could sell for $5500, I'd consider it, tho I'm growing attached to Humpty Dumpty. At $6k I'd most likely have to sell. That means writing off an $11,000+/- loss in 1 year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I wish I had felt like poking around under your truck on Sunday, but with the heater out, my primary goal was to keep clean and dry

I say have Gary take a look and as long as you can retard the existing rust, keep it!

As for diesel, I personally would keep her petrol and save the diesel for something less refined. Keep in mind your truck is chock full of electrics....

charles
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Yep, you looked cold alright! I was baking in my truck to keep the pup warm.

As for Gary... that inspection will be revealing for me.

I don't do rust - at all. If the rust can't be fixed, I'm out of the truck one way or the other. I think lots of Rover folks accept a bit of rust here and there... I don't (can't/ won't/ whatever). Rust makes things temporary, and as a bad engineer, I don't believe in temporary (anyone ever read story of The One Hoss Shay?) - I like to build things to last and maintain them to do so: rust makes that impossible... My goal for this truck as at least 10 years, hoping for 12.

As for diesel - I only bought a 1995 Land Rover because you can legally and cleanly swap in a diesel. I commute 30-35k miles each year (that'd be $9k a year in gas with the V8, versus ~ $4k with diesel). The fuel economy, on top of reliability, in addition to switching to biodiesel (readily available near my house for less $ than mid-grade) made diesel a viable option for me - only if I can fix the rust.

That all being said: Truck price is $5500.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Emerson,

Your truck looks so good on the surface - that if you could tackle the rust issues - you might get many proud years out of it.

Good move meeting Gary. Tell him 'Bert' said hi. He will know right who I am, and that you are from the D90 page.

He did wonders for my Defender - I think he bought me A LOT of time, and even cured some of the rust issues I had. It was a very reasonable price. I will be having do work on my truck in the future without question - mechanical and restoration. I think you have read my post with all the before and after shots. If not - search D90 Rust Restoration.

He really knows these trucks. I know he has a red RR county near his house that he has worked on for years (that I believe had some rust issues). He will know what needs to be done, he is a strait shooter, he will call it like he sees it. I think he is a good man. Report back what you think.....

You will leave there knowing a lot more about the condition of the truck. Have him check the engine out too. You will probably also know if you should sell the truck or not. Good move seeing him. Good luck.

Flagg
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Bump. I'm putting a FS sign on it this weekend and parking it at the local park and ride / sell your car lot along Route 50 in Maryland for $6k OBO. Prefer an enthusiast, but...
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Did you have Gary look at it?

And remind me what the plan is again? Sell humpty and then disappear for real? Getting another rover?
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bon Chance

Got my fingers crossed for you-can't hold this 110 tdi forever.....

Who's selling bio around here ? All my fuel lines are steel so might try a couple half tanks and see how she does.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, don't go too far. I think you deserve the award for fastest progress from n00b to veteran.

Old February 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Jim, LOL.

Doug, in Centreville, Hillside has B99 biodiesel. It's 45 minutes for you, but only 20 minutes from my house.

Charles, not yet. I think we (I) got our wires crossed. I was waiting for him to call me, but I'm starting to think he was waiting on me to call. I've got Humpty here today so I'll call him this afternoon to see if he's got time. I can't afford to commute 97 miles a day in the RRC, so I just drive it weekends/evenings, and once a week to work... makes catching up in B-more a bit more difficult. I still hope to talk with him - maybe I really am nuts - but as highlighted above, I don't think an RRC is going to work for me. Shame, it's a really good looking car.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, a plan? LOL who said I have a plan?

I'd love the simplicity of a Defender - particularly in diesel - but y'all gotta understand I got bit pretty hard by Humpty Dumpty.

Irrelevent, and I'm taking a break so... I will say that although Rovers seem to have a ludicrous number of odd problems, they are eminantly (sp?) repairable, even by people like myself with no mechanical know-how.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
By the way the woman in Southampton that I bought the 110 TDi from "wanted me to know" the truck's name is Daisy. I think going from Humpty Dumpty to Daisy could be an upgrade for you.....its at least a sex change.
Best I ever did with my Classic LWB was 14mpg and that was on one tank ever. Usually got 8-12.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Driving Miss Daisy... I like it

Yeah I've been driving either the 90 or the 110 daily for a while and gas is killing me too.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Emerson -

I saw you post. I talked to Gary this evening (about the timing on getting my truck to him in March). I mentioned your last post.

He said he is sorry if the miss-communication was his fault. He was under the impression that you were going to be calling him when you were ready to bring your Rover to him. He said he will try to get in touch with you in the next day or so - or you are welcome to try him as well. He said he has your number...........

Flagg
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I called him - I just figured it was my misunderstanding, and it seems it was.

Iíll be bringing the RRC to him sometime Monday; have to coordinate with work for a specific time. Iím (really) anxious to see what he says.
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

OK.

Time to move Humpty Dumpy.

I'll take $4500 OBO. There's around $3k in brand new parts alone on this truck; the interior is 9.5/10, the exterior is 9.5/10, the mechanicals are 9/10. There's rust, but it's fixable, according to Gary Landes at Roverworks. I just don't have the means to keep up with the rust repair and then the Land Rover cost of ownership.

$4500 obo Anyone?
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
great deal on a 95 lwb and this is a nice example.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

send pics to draaronr@aol.com
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

You've got (lots of) mail.
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

This truck seems like a great deal for $4500. Even just to drive around for a few years before donating to your favorite charity. If is mechanically OK and cosmetically in great shape - it should make a few more years. This would be a nice car for someone to own who had need of a big vehicle for a few years.

I used to own a 1995 LWB. I know the guy I sold it to, and he still loves it. It was one of the best all around cars I ever owned......total luxury and totally able to do anything from getting through any snow storm, to hauling huge things........

Seems like a good deal.........Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1995, 95, classic, lwb, range rover