Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Is the buyer a member here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2016, 05:45 PM
RoverMike
Michael Shea
Need one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
243HP from a stock 3.9L V8?
Nice truck. GLWS!
These ECU's are amazing! My bosses 97 SW has one in it, and it has no problem getting out of it's own way. Beautiful truck!
Old May 18th, 2016, 01:42 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
its back for those who missed it: Land Rover Defender Prototype Automatic | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:01 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
OK, OK, I could hear the groans, and see the eyes rolling...

New asking price of $45K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post

The market on these trucks just seems to be going up by the month anymore.

**Edited to say that this is one of the most aesthetically pleasing NAS D90s I've ever seen on here, and it's probably closer to a $70k truck than $45k. Just sad to see them flipped like that. What can you do?
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
ebay description is retarded. Talking about the r380 that came in late 95s. Also the description here said first owner bought it with 11000 miles, ebay says 1000. Also I thought LR did auto as part of prototype testing but it seems that was done at a dealer. Not that any of it matters. It is a nice truck that this dealer is clearly looking to make money on.

Wonder how it will do.
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:37 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I'm glad you were able to sell and get it across the border ok...I just wish it had made it into the hands of someone that could've actually enjoyed it for a decent price...
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Outland
Bill Mitchener
Land Rover Defender 110 TD5

Registry
Hi Everyone,

Although I typically stay out of the fray, I feel it's worthwhile to chime in on this one. I bought the vehicle from John. Great guy and thank you again, John. I am a Land Rover Enthusiast and have owned many Defenders personally. I do also own a dealership and we do make money when we sell them (heaven forbid!) I completely understand the sentiment of those members who want to feel like they can buy a Defender at a great price on an enthusiast forum like this. Everyone wants a great deal. All I can say to them is: okay, when you see one like this, buy it! It was not difficult to import and there we many others before me who had a shot at it. I even dragged my feet for a minute because I wanted to understand all the history of this particular Defender. Once I did my due diligence and realized how special this D90 was, I moved on it. In the mean time, anyone could have ponied up and grabbed it before me. John just wanted a fair deal and he knew he'd get more for it in the States than he would in Canada.

For those who feel the need to use crass language or disparage other's business/ads/hard work all I can say is I feel sorry for you. Not sure what is so awful in your life that you need to take time out to put someone else down. I've never understood that about these enthusiast forums. We all love Land Rovers, Defenders in particular, so why not support each other and cheer each other on? I might make some pretty good money on this one (and p.s. it's not $70K - that's the starting bid) but good for me. I'm not hurting anyone and I work my butt off to run a very high-quality, 5-star business. For those of you negative nellie armchair commentators, how about this: instead of complaining why not throw your hat in the ring? Buy these cars yourselves and sell them at prices you feel are more "fair". Spend the time and money to get your dealers license, bonds, insurance, all the liability and paperwork and effort that goes with it. It never ceases to amaze me how many people think we got our dealer license out of a cracker jack box and we just willy nilly flip cars like it's the easier thing in the world. I spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and put my neck out on the line with every purchase. In a nutshell, man up or shut up.

Lastly, I bought the car at a fair price. I paid importation fees and duties. I properly titled and registered it in my state. I spent a lot of time and money reconditioning it. It was a very nice D90 but needed some work. I've got approximately $10K more into this car over what I paid for it. That's all cash out of my pocket until I sell it. Will I make a few bucks when I sell it? I sure hope so! That's why I do this for a living. To make money, pay the bills, feed the family. You might be a doctor, lawyer, teacher... I sell cars. And as someone from this forum once said to me in a snarky eBay message - "did I add any value?" Heck yeah, I did! I took a very special D90 with really cool heritage and I properly finished it. I made it exceptional and I am going to ask an exceptional price. And for those who might actually be interested in buying this one - give me a call or email anytime and I will go through every inch of the car with you and help you out in any way I can.

-Bill
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Delete
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:36 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

While I do not have an issue with anyone making money by flipping cars, houses or whatever you come across as a complete jerk and the prime example of why some people feel so strongly against flippers.

Enjoy your profit just remember that cash cannot by class.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:11 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Standard response from dealer buying low from here and selling high:

- "Free country"
- "I put $10k-$100k into it during the last two weeks"
- "I need to feed my family"
- "I'm a huge LR guy which is why I am keeping the truck for three weeks"
- "I love forums, I've got 8 posts here"
- "Put up or shut up or some stupid meme quip"
- "I paid a fair price but I am now selling for a new fair price of at least 60% more"
- "Screw you haters but here's my cell number"
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:15 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

I'm kind of a detail guy, so I'll point out what I believe to be one error in the ebay ad: "As part of the second batch of '95's to be produced, this D90 was given the R380 manual gearbox rather than the LT77."

It was during the 1994 MY that Land Rover switched from the LT77 to R380 for the remainder of the manuals... not sure exactly when, but pretty sure it was before the first 1,000. So, all 1995s would have had R380s.

What I find interesting is that they put in Moorland cloth.

Good luck with the sale. She cleaned up beautifully!
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
What is the beef with Bill? From the few Defenders he posted here for sale, Bill appears to be very open in disclosing the blemishes in the descriptions and photos. Even the repaints of different colors. Good for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1631164012.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	149867   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-950548477.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	149868  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2325632320.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	149869  
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:20 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
What is the beef with Bill? From the few Defenders he posted here for sale, Bill appears to be very open in disclosing the blemishes in the descriptions and photos. Even the repaints of different colors. Good for him.
I agree. The degree at which people opine on operation condition, value and longevity based on a iPhone pics is hilarious. Hopefully the world is still round.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I agree. I don't see any deceit and seems like an honest description. Bill is taking risk putting down a chunk of his cash and hopes to turn a profit. There will probably be another unforced exchange between two parties that benefits both by their own independent judgment. That used to be celebrated.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:46 AM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
My only gripe was that it looked like when this truck was originally posted here, some board member might get a great deal on a beautiful, and unique NAS90. Someone is still gonna get a great truck, I'm just not as excited for the person who pays $70k+ as I was for anyone who snagged their dream for $45k.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

I don't think it is so much specificlly Bill, as it is the much ballyhooed topic of "dealer flipping." As for this truck specifically, that is one beautiful truck. Congrats to Bill, I would have done the same thing if I could have...he did a lot of leg work and snapped up a gem. I own a ROW that I love, but I would be lying if I said I didn't secretly still have a hankering for a NAS in the future. I have no problem with Bill or anyone else that does this for a living, I think it's a fantastic way to earn money...driving around in Defenders all day...what could be more fun, but everytime one gets flipped at a 40% markup it takes a bit of the wind from the sails of the common man. I suppose that's just the way the world goes round. I hope that the Defender keeps its shared moniker with the beach, mountain, outdoor crowd as it climbs the status symbol ladder.
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:31 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbird View Post
I don't think it is so much specificlly Bill, as it is the much ballyhooed topic of "dealer flipping." As for this truck specifically, that is one beautiful truck. Congrats to Bill, I would have done the same thing if I could have...he did a lot of leg work and snapped up a gem. I own a ROW that I love, but I would be lying if I said I didn't secretly still have a hankering for a NAS in the future. I have no problem with Bill or anyone else that does this for a living, I think it's a fantastic way to earn money...driving around in Defenders all day...what could be more fun, but everytime one gets flipped at a 40% markup it takes a bit of the wind from the sails of the common man. I suppose that's just the way the world goes round. I hope that the Defender keeps its shared moniker with the beach, mountain, outdoor crowd as it climbs the status symbol ladder.
I still don't get the logic behind the anger towards flippers. Aren't prices still a reflection of demand?
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:57 AM
JohnnyO
John Oberlin
1995 D90 SW

As the seller, I'd have to agree on Bill's perspective. Bill was the only one who stepped forward, ignoring the naysayers, and made me a reasonable offer on the NAS. He put in the personal effort to fly to Calgary to check out the vehicle, drive it across the border himself and then make his way home. It was a pleasure meeting Bill in person at the airport (wearing a Defender t-shirt no less), and dealing with Bill through the entire process. I was upfront with its shortcomings of the NAS and Bill went to the efforts to make them all right and then some. The details of the full disclosure in the add are commendable.

Many of us have had the good fortune of purchasing a NAS, driving it for a month/year/decade, and then turning a profit when it's time to move on. It's a great position to be in as the seller, and many of us have been the 'previous owner' who maybe could have held out for a few more bucks.

Being a small business owner myself, and fully understanding what it takes to be a success, I'm OK when work has been done on a Defender to make it better with the objective of selling. Bill has a legitimate business of selling cars and not by any means a flipper. There are a couple of other well respected businesses on the forum doing exactly the same thing - purchasing solid examples and finishing them off as fine vehicles. I wouldn't view them as flippers either. Good on them to keep the heritage going and making new owners proud to be involved in the green oval community.

John
ROW 90 Soft Top
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:31 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
As the seller, I'd have to agree on Bill's perspective. Bill was the only one who stepped forward, ignoring the naysayers, and made me a reasonable offer on the NAS. He put in the personal effort to fly to Calgary to check out the vehicle, drive it across the border himself and then make his way home. It was a pleasure meeting Bill in person at the airport (wearing a Defender t-shirt no less), and dealing with Bill through the entire process. I was upfront with its shortcomings of the NAS and Bill went to the efforts to make them all right and then some. The details of the full disclosure in the add are commendable. Many of us have had the good fortune of purchasing a NAS, driving it for a month/year/decade, and then turning a profit when it's time to move on. It's a great position to be in as the seller, and many of us have been the 'previous owner' who maybe could have held out for a few more bucks. Being a small business owner myself, and fully understanding what it takes to be a success, I'm OK when work has been done on a Defender to make it better with the objective of selling. Bill has a legitimate business of selling cars and not by any means a flipper. There are a couple of other well respected businesses on the forum doing exactly the same thing - purchasing solid examples and finishing them off as fine vehicles. I wouldn't view them as flippers either. Good on them to keep the heritage going and making new owners proud to be involved in the green oval community. John ROW 90 Soft Top
Yeah, you'll never get the same experience from a guy crying on the sidelines that prices aren't fair.

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Outland
Bill Mitchener
Land Rover Defender 110 TD5

Registry
Thanks to those of you with the positive comments and support. Everyone has good and valid points.

As for the 94 vs 95 R380 transition: I am a stickler for details too and I also believed all '95's had the R380, but I pulled that note directly from a letter I received from the dealer in the UK and assumed he knew more than I. He made a point to mention the "2nd batch of 95's produced" so I went with it. If that is incorrect, I am happy to admit a mistake there. And for the record, I don't mind other's pointing out errors at all. I learn something new every day and I believe that is really the point of these forums - everyone can chime in and help one another. The key word being "help", not lambaste. So, thank you for the positive and constructive comment, vtlandrover.

It dawns on me, the real issue I think here is that many want this to be a non-professional members only place - i.e. "no dealers allowed." And I get that. If I didn't do this for a living I would want a place where I can share my enthusiasm with other like-minded folks, learn more about the brand and have opportunities to buy from one another outside of the standard retail marketplace. It sounds to me like a great business idea... as long as you can figure out how to keep the dealers out.

My real issue is with the negativity and name calling. How about this crazy idea that we give each other the benefit of the doubt and add a little more respect and positivity to the world? I don't believe I was being a "complete jerk" in my response, but I will admit the "man up or shut up" comment was borderline. It was said with some frustration but also completely sincere - simply put your money where you mouth is.

As for Smob's "standard response from dealers buying low from here and selling high" list: this is a prime example of not giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Isn't buy low, sell high the point? That's how the stock market works, the housing market, pretty much any market - it's capitalism. A smart dealer does their legwork and searches all over for good deals - forums, craigslist, ebay, you name it. I have no idea what Smob does for a living or how many Rovers he's owned or for how long. But he's on here and likes to comment so he has some level of interest/love for the brand and I am cool with that. Personally (not the dealership) I have owned many Land Rovers. My daily driver for over 4 years was an 05 LR3. My white D90 was a daily driver for over 2 years. I've had a few Series Rovers and 110's. I don't keep cars for a lifetime because I am admittedly fickle and like to change them up, but I am a true Land Rover nut. In fact, that's why I opened my dealership - so that I could play around with these cars for a living! We are small, just 5 of us, and only stock about 15-20 cars at a time. We also have an independent Land Rover service shop that I put a lot of time and money in to recently so that we can provide service to our local Land Rover customers. I wish we sold more Defenders but as you know good ones are hard to come by and I'm picky. I've also lost out on quite a few Defenders on this forum and places like bring a trailer. Maybe I was outbid by other dealers, maybe by individuals - makes no difference to me. I support and cheer on the winning bidders.

As for those of you who are more excited for someone to get their dream truck for $45K vs $70+K... trust me I completely get it. It's even funny to me that $45K is considered a "deal" nowadays! I bought my white '97 for $29K 4 years ago. I too like to see people be able to afford their dream car. Years ago I had the opportunity to buy a Ferrari 308 (big Magnum PI fan). This was prior to the dealership and due to timing in life it made sense to sell it a short time later. Now they've gotten so pricey it will likely be a long time until I can get another one. Same with air-cooled Porsche 911's and many other cars experiencing this bubble right now. As someone said, supply and demand. Our generation has some available cash now and demand is high.

------ Follow up post added May 19th, 2016 09:44 AM ------

Quote:
As the seller, I'd have to agree on Bill's perspective. Bill was the only one who stepped forward, ignoring the naysayers, and made me a reasonable offer on the NAS. He put in the personal effort to fly to Calgary to check out the vehicle, drive it across the border himself and then make his way home. It was a pleasure meeting Bill in person at the airport (wearing a Defender t-shirt no less), and dealing with Bill through the entire process. I was upfront with its shortcomings of the NAS and Bill went to the efforts to make them all right and then some. The details of the full disclosure in the add are commendable.

Many of us have had the good fortune of purchasing a NAS, driving it for a month/year/decade, and then turning a profit when it's time to move on. It's a great position to be in as the seller, and many of us have been the 'previous owner' who maybe could have held out for a few more bucks.

Being a small business owner myself, and fully understanding what it takes to be a success, I'm OK when work has been done on a Defender to make it better with the objective of selling. Bill has a legitimate business of selling cars and not by any means a flipper. There are a couple of other well respected businesses on the forum doing exactly the same thing - purchasing solid examples and finishing them off as fine vehicles. I wouldn't view them as flippers either. Good on them to keep the heritage going and making new owners proud to be involved in the green oval community.

John
ROW 90 Soft Top
Thank you, John! Well said.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
d90, nas, 90, 1995, 95