1995 NAS D-90 w/ 53,000miles...$15,000 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
The long story....My 95 was originally owned by a famous tennis player in south Florida. He traded it in after a year. The architect that designed the resort on Guana Island bought the truck from a dealer in West Palm and shipped it to the BVI. Many years later, a local prison guard found the truck on Guana, abandoned, and it was given to him. He restored it. It was his pride and joy. While the 95 was at a garage in Road Town for new brakes, this was years later, that prison guard died of a heart attack. His wife, in distress moved to Dominica and sent word for the garage to sell her husbands beloved Defender. The garage never got word of the mans death, her move, or her request to sell the truck. After several years they moved the Defender into the alley outside their gate and abandoned it. The day I found the 95 I pulled a credit card bill out of the console and took it with me. With that, William my brother, god only knows how, was able to track down the late owners wife. He gave me her phone number in Dominica. I called and introduced myself. I told her I had once owned a white Land Rover like her husbands. I asked her to tell me it's story. I asked would she sell it to me and she said, "I'm sorry but, our beloved Land Rover was sold shortly after my husband passed away, owning that truck gave him the best years of his life".

After I told her the garage never got her message, we had the truck appraised and I paid her a fair price for it. She was thrilled. Burke's Garage then picked up the 90 and got it running. It took another 6 months to sort out the title paper work, ship it home. At first i wanted to restore the truck. I had hoped the 95 would fill the void left by #646, from when I sold it but, it wasn't the same. So I let the BVI truck go.

For their efforts...My brother William now has one of the trucks BVI license plates on the front of his Jeep. The other plate hangs in my brother Ben's garage in Daytona.

2 years later, I got back my Defender, #646...yet another long story.

Attachment 63517
I was in my 2L year in law school when all this was transpiring. Of course Matt was sending me regular emails with stories and pictures of his travels around the Caribbean. Being perpetually stuck in the law library at the time, I kept thinking to myself, "Damn it....I've chosen the wrong career!" Chasing down the owner's wife and getting updates on the 90's progress was a welcome distraction from my studies. I'm glad that I was able to help Matt get her and bring her back to the States.

Sometime awhile after she landed back on our shores, I ran across the picture below while on the BVI Land Rover Associations FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BVILRA . It was a member "Sighting". Turns out the truck was known by some around the island, but no one had ever inquired about her. The 90 is apparently destined for island living, be it the South or North Atlantic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	328206_10150270683343456_100276683455_7903277_1348630_o (2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	63529  

Please feel free to visit my website at: http://defenderofdefenders.com
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523
[QUOTE=Rufus;399587]Horsey - was your pic taken in the surfside beach parking lot?

Looks more like Jetty's Beach...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

1995, 90, 95, d-90, nas