It's time to part ways with my 1995 Land Rover Discovery 1 w/ 200tdi and R380 5-speed manual. Located in the Clear Lake Area of Houston, TX
I've had the Disco for about a year and a half, and drive it 2-3 times a week to work, and on weekend camping/wheelin' trips in the hill country. Currently in the Clear Lake Area of Houston, TX.
I planned to keep this beast forever. My wife and her tendency to produce offspring has other plans. We are now building a house and i don't need a 3rd (cough) 4th vehicle.
Spent almost all its life in Texas. I bought it from a buy in Mass. Though, he only had it a few years. The PO before him did the conversion. The engine is a re-sealed ex-MoD engine, and runs like a top. Starts INSTANTLY, and has never left me stranded, or not started, etc. If you don't mind cruising at 65 mph, i would drive it across country. I've taken numerous 600-700 mile trips, and never had a single issue. I get about 22-26 mpg, depending on my foot.
The owner that did the conversation took his time to find a rust-free, Discovery 1 with manual cloth seats and no Sunroof to keep things as simple as possible. Vehicle does not leak from any window seals, etc. I've had to park it outside since i owned it, and never a single drop gets inside. All electric windows, mirrors, etc. work perfect. Keyless entry, alarm, homelink garage opener etc.
Contact me for additional HiRes photos. I can also take additional photos upon request, just tell me what and where. I want to be completely transparent with the transaction, and look for a quick and easy cash sell.
- AC needs a recharge. The main components are not leaking, but the two large compression fittings that screw into the compressor work loose over time(diesel vibrations i'm sure). I did an evac/recharge and changed receiver/dryer last summer, blew ice cold. Just noticed it was low again a few weeks ago after it got warm here on the coast.
- The truck will steer to the left under hard braking. Probably needs a new or rebuilt caliper. I just learned to live with it and doesn't affect daily driving.
- Steering box leaks slightly. I added Lucas power steering leak-stop (one of the only snake-oils i actually believe in) and it slowed enough to not even worry about it. I've had to re-add maybe 1/3 of a bottle since i first did it over a year ago. Steers fine.
- The clutch seems to slip under certain conditions. It's only in higher gear, under hard acceleration, and only when engine has been fully warmed for a while. It could possibly be the crank shaft seal that is spraying a fine oil-mist into bell housing/clutch?? It's always kind of done it, and i just live with it. It is NEVER an issue when in low-range, or crawling around in low gears. Worst case it needs a clutch. It hasn't gotten any worse since i owned it, so i'm just used to it when it happens.
- Drips/seeps a little oil, as all diesels and/or British Vehicles do. Doesn't seem to burn any. I add MAYBE a half of a quart of oil between changes (4-5k mikes). Which is really exceptional.
- lastly, some of the doors won't auto-lock or unlock with the key-less entry. It comes and goes. they all work manually if needed. Most importantly, the drivers door ALWAYS locks/unlocks with remote.
200tDi Ex-MoD re-sealed Engine from the U.K. (fires INSTANTLY)
R380 5-speed manual that shifts perfectly; Diff lock and Low-range shift easily
NO rust. Has been in the Lone Star State most of its life
Manual cloth seats; No Sunroofs; No rain-related leaks of any kind
ARB front bumper with 9.5k TigerShark Winch (pulled out many Jeeps)
Very desirable "Saudi Grill"
HD front springs for added weight
All fluids recently changed; Lucas Synthetic Oil in Diffs, Transfer Case and Swivel Hubs; Reline in Trans
Brand new Head-liner (perfect); won't ever sag again. . .
Newer cross-drilled brake rotors
Custom low-profile sliders bolted to frame; heavy duty
All new component speakers (OEM grills), low-pro 10" sub and Kenwood head-unit (green lights)
Custom Magnaflow exhaust; low-profile and out of the way; sounds great
4 aux VDO™ gauges installed; EGT, Turbo Boost, Water Temp and Voltage
OEM Land Rover Full Coverage rubber matts ($$)
Wilderness basket roof rack (can accommodate tent); w/ OEM ladder; HiLift Jack mounted/included
Hella Fog Light on front Bar (use factory fog-light switch on center console)
Uniden Radio between seats with Firestick antennae mounted to spare bracket
All electric windows work as they should, and are tinted (looks great on white Disco)
Spectre in-line air filter install and piped up to fender to prep snorkel install
Keyless entry works, and one remote and 3 spare keys included; HomeLink Garage Door opener
New Belts (all three); New AC Receiver/Dryer; New Clutch Slave Cylinder; new viscous Fan clutch; more
Sylvania SilverStar Headlight bulbs installed
Garmin (older) hard-wired to upper console
Misc. Quick-fists with Shovel and Axe (included)
ABS works great, and can be disabled with a pull of the fuse if desired (unlike D2)
No warning lights, runs perfect, never a single issue, has always started instantly
BFG tires have 50+% left, but getting a little old. Plenty of life in them.
Factory Jack, wheels chocks, and tool kit
Many spares included; all belts (Gates), Roto-flex coupling, Water pump, Gaskets, Misc. Coolant hoses, Filters; binders of Info, schematics and engine/trans install procedure; and of course, Title in Hand.
Over-all this is an awesome vehicle in amazing shape. It's largely still original. It is a beast as-is, but can really be a great, solid, rust-free starting point to make the Off-roader of your dreams, the way YOU want it.
Asking $11,900.00 but open to reasonable cash offers. Looking for transparent, quick and easy transaction.
Please email for further information and my contact information.
jhboult(at sign)gmail(dot)com (or send PM)