Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:20 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nny216 View Post
This truck is sold. Thanks for all the lowball offers and people willing to "take it off my hands and cut it up and just use the VIN from it". You guys are a bunch of class acts.....you know who you are.
Congrats on the sale. Those same folks would have spit on it, got out their dirty rag for a quick shine, and put it back up for few thousand more. Damn vultures.

Hopefully it went to a good home.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:25 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:25 PM
RoverMike
Michael Shea
Need one...

Glad to see you found a good home for it! Can't believe it didn't go faster to a good home at that price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2016, 11:42 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

This is the parts truck that came up on eBay a few weeks ago.http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5643083047.html

I am nearly 100% certain this is the truck that jon advertised/sold in this thread.
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:39 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverMike View Post
Glad to see you found a good home for it! Can't believe it didn't go faster to a good home at that price.
or it appears not so good home...stripped the vin and the cage off and resell for 21k?
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
This is the parts truck that came up on eBay a few weeks ago.http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5643083047.html

I am nearly 100% certain this is the truck that jon advertised/sold in this thread.
It is the same truck. Same exact rust pattern on the footwell photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
or it appears not so good home...stripped the vin and the cage off and resell for 21k?
Poor thing. Another NAS bites the dust. They should have just imported a beater for the title and saved their money. Or just build the truck and get a built from parts title, spending no money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:52 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nny216 View Post
This truck is sold. Thanks for all the lowball offers and people willing to "take it off my hands and cut it up and just use the VIN from it". You guys are a bunch of class acts.....you know who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Insane!
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:18 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

I think Jon sold this truck for around 28-29k. I almost purchased this truck but because of some bad timing on my part, missed out.

NAS cage, roof rack, safari guard tire carrier, ARB lockers, tailgate, dual yellowtops, spare ECU, pullpal, ARB bull bar with winch and synth line were picked off along with the VIN (SALDV2286RA934567) and badge (#183).

Factory AC might also have been stripped off as there is no mention of it in the CL ad, but does show in the pictures.

I'm not an attorney, but I am sure there are plenty on this board:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...266/Section139
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
The sale of that "parts" truck would not fly in California. Here, the identify of the vehicle is determined by the frame. Given that the parts truck still has its original vin intact, it would be a serious issue for whoever is in possession of the title that was stripped off this truck. That frame should be destroyed if the vin is being used on another truck. Not to mention the legality of using a NAS 90 vin for something other than the actual truck it belongs to.
Old June 20th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

That truck on the craigslist ad (current for sale ad) was posted for sale by a member here and I guess got deleted.
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:11 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Thanks for the reference to MA law. In PA, I saw the state trooper at a speciality inspection station; he examined the new chassis and rolling components, and the state then stamped chassis with proper VIN for ground up restoration. This should be done on all galvanized chassis swaps. Took a day to coordinate and 3 hours at the station.
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:22 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
Thanks for the reference to MA law. In PA, I saw the state trooper at a speciality inspection station; he examined the new chassis and rolling components, and the state then stamped chassis with proper VIN for ground up restoration. This should be done on all galvanized chassis swaps. Took a day to coordinate and 3 hours at the station.
Did he see this truck at the same time?
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:40 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Did he actually stamp the "Rover" vin into the frame? What about the Leyland logo or Rover asterisk? I'm assuming they didn't stamp that on the end(s).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Did he see this truck at the same time?
As crazy as this sounds - it probably would not matter. I don't think that there is any type of legal requirement for a car to be deemed "restore-able". You could probably take a brand new truck (ex: a Wrangler) and choose to rebuild it on a new frame with all new drive train, suspension, body panels, interior, etc. As long as you own the original truck, you can rebuild it however you like, given you go through your local states process to move the VIN and satisfy the states laws for rebuilt vehicle safety.
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:14 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
The VIN is stamped with the leading and ending * and the original letters and numbers. There is no swirl, Leyland symbol.

I had to show him the original truck, receipts for the started rebuild, an explanation of the end product, discussion of why a 1994 "jeep" was worth rebuilding compared to the muscle cars and motorcycles that they stamp and approve every day, and the rolling chassis for the stamping. Certainly eased my mind to have the proper state inspection and documentation.

I followed this advice after the last discussion on the board and a brief discussion with WillH, whom I am gracious for assisting in this process. For the record, his advice was that anyone could turn their Cadillac into a limo but to look at what has to happen at the state level for inspection. He did suggest that I would be better selling the parts individually.

------ Follow up post added June 20th, 2016 08:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
As crazy as this sounds - it probably would not matter. I don't think that there is any type of legal requirement for a car to be deemed "restore-able". You could probably take a brand new truck (ex: a Wrangler) and choose to rebuild it on a new frame with all new drive train, suspension, body panels, interior, etc. As long as you own the original truck, you can rebuild it however you like, given you go through your local states process to move the VIN and satisfy the states laws for rebuilt vehicle safety.
Yes, look at AEV Brutes. You send them your $45k brand new Jeep, pay $45k and it returns as a double cab, pickup with the original VIN. Even Jeep now contracts with AEV for factory new and then modified Brutes. Per the state trooper, these too should be inspected as the original frame is modified.
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:43 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Yes, look at AEV Brutes. You send them your $45k brand new Jeep, pay $45k and it returns as a double cab, pickup with the original VIN. Even Jeep now contracts with AEV for factory new and then modified Brutes. Per the state trooper, these too should be inspected as the original frame is modified.
I wonder if AEV is just "stretching" (i.e. inserting sections into the frame) versus replacing. Admittedly I'm not sure.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 20th, 2016, 11:06 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The rebuild, and probably showing the original truck when you had it inspected seems normal. I think the shocking thing is how you are selling the original truck in one piece on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Especially since it runs and as anyone can see from this thread was a decent vehicle.

Vin or no vin selling to some random guy seems to be a great way to open yourself to liability.

Part the thing out or sell it privately.
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:15 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
The rebuild, and probably showing the original truck when you had it inspected seems normal. I think the shocking thing is how you are selling the original truck in one piece on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Especially since it runs and as anyone can see from this thread was a decent vehicle.

Vin or no vin selling to some random guy seems to be a great way to open yourself to liability.

Yes - that is the part where the Mass state law seems a bit 'iffy' and probably why WillH suggested it be sold as individual parts rather than a whole vehicle.

On another note - If anyone is selling a NAS ST under 35K, please let me know. I promise that it will go to a good home and that it will live out its days with a vintage Boston Whaler as it closest companion.
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:02 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
The sale of that "parts" truck would not fly in California. Here, the identify of the vehicle is determined by the frame. Given that the parts truck still has its original vin intact, it would be a serious issue for whoever is in possession of the title that was stripped off this truck. That frame should be destroyed if the vin is being used on another truck. Not to mention the legality of using a NAS 90 vin for something other than the actual truck it belongs to.

Actually that's a federal thing, not limited to California.

Was the frame actually stamped, or was a stamped label attached? I've seen frame replacements on vehicles from Pennsylvania and other states, all have had a label on the new frame. In most (all?) states the old frame has to be destoryed when an original VIN number is applied to a new (manufacturer's) frame.
Old June 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
I followed this advice after the last discussion on the board and a brief discussion with WillH, whom I am gracious for assisting in this process. For the record, his advice was that anyone could turn their Cadillac into a limo but to look at what has to happen at the state level for inspection. He did suggest that I would be better selling the parts individually.
Jeff,

No worries sir, happy to be of service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I wonder if AEV is just "stretching" (i.e. inserting sections into the frame) versus replacing. Admittedly I'm not sure.
Jason,

Yes, I can confirm based on first-hand knowledge that this is what AEV does when executing a Brute conversion.

Quote:

Barry,

Just a couple of months ago I shook my head in astonishment at seeing the following eBay ad posted:

1993 NAS Land Rover Defender 110 Parts | eBay

A quick scan of the seller's info in the link above and you'll likely understand my reaction (for the record, said seller is not one of my clients, nor could they be due to existing and continuing conflicts of interest). At any rate, I archived a copy of the ad for my records and I now share it with my clients as an example of what not to do. I believe most everyone can appreciate why........

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1994, 90, d90, for sale, nas