1994 Defender 110 300Tdi - Canada Only. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:01 PM
overlandbirds

1994 Defender 110 300Tdi - Canada Only.

Those who are serious buyers can PM me. Those that want to post crap about all the legal stuff that goes with selling the car can stay quiet. There is a pretty easy process to follow and theres lots of info on the customs site. If you want to pass constructive comments these are welcomed however. Which one are you ?

I'm driving a UK registered 300Tdi 110 Defender set up as an overland truck. Its got a bed, fridge-freezer, full rack etc. You can see the setup on our website. We are thinking about selling her rather than taking her home. We are currently in Alberta and on our way across to Nova Scotia via the southern Great Lakes route. So that will take us back into the USA and then back into Canada. We will be in Nova Scotia for almost all of June.

There are just too many things to mention. The chassis is good and can be confirmed by numerous members on here who've seen the car. The engine is a replacement and has an unknown amount of miles on but we have calculated less than 150,000miles. The Turbo, Injectors and Glow Plugs are all recent. The Turbo has less than 30,000 miles on it and the injectors and glow plugs are months old. She has heavy duty genuine springs and almost the entire car was replaced less than 90,000 miles ago including break lines and system, Power Steering box, Hubs, Swivels, all the Pumps etc. She is in very good order. One recent problem was the gearbox and that was replaced with an Ashcrofts which also failed (@14,000miles). This was rebuilt a couple of weeks ago in Alaska using Ashcrofts replacements including and new mainshaft, Syncros, bearings and 5th/Reverse gears. The Trans box was rebuilt (intermediate shaft casing hole steel sleeved) in South Africa maybe 50,000 miles ago. We have a HUGE list of onboard spares that can stay with the car if the price is right. This includes a working spare Turbo ! Spare injectors, all pumps belts, bearings and 100's of seals. There is well over $1000USD in the spares box. These are also available separately if we do not sell the car. Some spares are working used parts but most are new and almost all are OEM or Genuine parts. There's even a set of head bolts and a gasket if you fancy doing a rebuild.

If I sell her I need to come to some arrangement about the customs duties and payments to import the truck into Canada. It seems pretty straight forward as she's 19 years old. I will not be regestering RIV (this time) so I may need to go out and back in again to do that. Or failing that we do the transaction in the USA and then you as the new owner drive her back and register RIV. We will come to a mutual agreement on the fees. I'm pretty happy to take it off the sale price or pay it myself. Its about 5% of the value if i'm reading the site correctly.

I have a starting price at $38,500USD or ~$42,000CAN (including the spares)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2014, 08:30 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
What's it look like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:50 PM
overlandbirds

Some pics linked to our website. There are loads all over. In the pics section there are some of the inside when we made it. I can take more recent one. She's not very clean at the moment.

I should also say the tyres (tires) are BFG ALL Terrain TA KO and were new a month or so ago. We have two used spares which are perfectly fine with a good level of tread as you would expect. The Awning (and full awning sides) enable you to make a full size room which you can actually heat using the Webasto Airtop in the car. The Webasto also heats the car of course. We have a integrated (moveable) 85W German Solar panel that charges the two batteries. It slides in under the roof rack and can be pulled out as a roof for the rear cooking area or moved into the sun if you are parked in the shade.

You can see me making the panel mounts below and some car pics in the other link. Nothing is hidden here. All problems I've had with the car are blogged and they have all been fixed promptly. Currently we have a slight leak from the transfer box which will be fixed as I know where its from. I did the valve clearances and oil change only yesterday. She had a new genuine rocker gasket as the old one was slightly leaking.

http://www.overlandbirds.com/news--blog/sunshine

http://www.overlandbirds.com/car-pics.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port elizebeth 011.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	95290  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM
overlandbirds

Thought i'd post another pic of the car with the Awning top out. Not forgetting its got sides. You even get the chairs ! Everything is included. A ready made camper/overland truck.

You can move right in....hehe.

Just changed the gearbox oil today as the new rebuild was tight so its got a fresh batch. Props also greased as they are every two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dakar 008.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	95482  
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Totally confused. This is only legally usable in Canada? Just didn't follow your explanation.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:36 PM
overlandbirds

Well without wanting to stir up the doomsayers...of which there seem to plenty on this board. There are the really helpfull ones and then the others.....

You cannot legally import a car to the USA permanantly if its under 25yo. This one is 19 so under that and so not really allowed. However there are ways and there are plenty in the USA under 25. However its not legal really. I'm not the expert on this however and would suggest you think about this carefully.

The car can be brought perfectly legally into the USA under the 1946 Conventions. This is how you can drive round the world in your car or fly a plane into another country. All these conventions supercede (beat) US law and so does allow anyone to drive it in temporarily. It could be imported for spares permanently, i've been told.

Hope that helps. The reason for Canada is that to do the import there it only has to be 15yo.

The car is currently registered "nowhere" but semi-officially in the UK considering its the last owned country must look after it until it registered elswhere. This is the same way all the importers do their UK export and foreign imports so all perfectly normal and legal on that front. The import to Canada or USA would follow their process(s). Theres one plus....its already in North America.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:15 PM
overlandbirds

Amazed that there's not even been any interest considering its twice as good as most out there and much cheaper. Considering the state of some of the ones imported from the UK then you're missing a bargain. My offer to pay the duty for Canada that's already 5% off the price you see.

All too complicated maybe?
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Soft market I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I don't really believe many trucks are selling for that price point in Canada. There are a lot on the market with asking prices similar and they never seem to sell.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:34 PM
overlandbirds

I'm pretty happy to consider offers via PM. Usually in the UK we have ONO (or nearest offer). Not sure if Canada does that.

I can easily sell the spares and knock cash off the cars sale price so anything is possible. I'm already been asked to sell spares by a few people so thats no problem to me. I just put em on Ebay and they'll be gone in a week.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You also have to keep in mind the market is pretty saturated in Canada. BATUS released a good thousand trucks and they are hiding in every corner. There were also a lot of companies importing when the Defenders became 15 years old. Most of them went out of business. Most people are selling at a loss on imported trucks.

Old May 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM
overlandbirds

Thanks. Shame its not old enough for the states.....
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
It's also a much smaller market. Our population is only the size of California's

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:07 PM
overlandbirds

Price lowered to $35,000USD or $38,000CAN

Hope that's a bit more in the market. Sensible offers will be considered.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM
overlandbirds

Still no takers or offers? I'm amazed. The Fridge/Freezer alone is worth well over $1000
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

I'm blown away too. I just got done ranting on another thread about people being reluctant to jump through a couple hoops/pull a few strings to get a newer D90 into the states. I'm lucky enough to have an NAS but if I did not, this would be the LR for me!! GLWTS.
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:22 PM
svxaddict
Defend Nature
coming soon

what would it sell for in the UK?

Most people would rather build it up themselves. I would sell all the extraneous stuff off of it, remove the decals, take quality photos, and then list it at a more reasonable price. It'll sell in Canada, just not as is and not at the price you're asking.

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2014 12:23 PM ------

If the fridge is worth $1000, put the fridge on Kijiji and drop the price $1000. Do that for about a dozen other items and you'll be closer to selling it with some good pocket money in the meantime ;-)
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenc1tj View Post
I'm blown away too. I just got done ranting on another thread about people being reluctant to jump through a couple hoops/pull a few strings to get a newer D90 into the states. I'm lucky enough to have an NAS but if I did not, this would be the LR for me!! GLWTS.
With the known seizures here in the US buy gamble it? A crushed truck is not worth it.
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Not being a naysayer but a realist: One sentence can explain why no one will buy this to even start to try to bring it into the USA: US Customs and Border Protection is on a Land Rover Defender Jihad and they are getting good at finding tricks.

Also Canadians have to pay State and Federal taxes on each item ... close to 20% sales tax on your asking price. That's somewhere in the $8,000 CDN range. Nice solar mounting system though. Good luck.
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That part is not true. No tax on a private sale. It is also only 5% here. It depends on the province. The market is saturated here. Lot of defenders around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
110, 1994, 300tdi, defender, defender 110, tdi