1994 D90 Hard & Soft Top $14995 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

Wow thanks for that site. Those signs were cracking me up! I get RSS feeds for all of the New England craigslists and I probably see 50-100 scams a day. These guys are smart but not as smart as Americans... well as least not as smart as most Americans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Sure

*LMAO* I am in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Damn, I just thought of an awesome idea for some overlanding. Let's setup a road trip to Nigeria. Instead of raising money for cancer or something, we'll take donations from people who want to see scammers get caught.

Think of it as a 419 eater on the premises.

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm

Who's in?
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
grobinson
Gavin Robinson
95 SWB RRC

I've been in contact with the fraudulant person, asking them questions and toying with them. They've been using this email address:

lorenafisher80@yahoo.com

Here's some of the fun stuff they sent to me.

"Hi,
The car is still for sale.It is in perfect shape.It has no scratches,dents and it was never involved in an accident or something like that.You can check the carfax yourself,the VIN is SALDV2284RA943803.It has 76500 miles.Here are some more pics http://photobucket.com/Laura_Becks The title is clear and on my name.I am forced by a bank loan to sell it so I need the money and I must do that.Don't worry,the loan does not involve the car.
My final price is $5400.I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out.I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.
Thank you.P.S.If you are decided to buy it,i will make a private auction just for you on eBay so you can purchase it there.That way you will receive assistance for the purchase,paperwork,title transfer and an extended warranty.They also are guaranteeing purchases up to 50.000 so we will both be protected.
Laura Becks"

And after I asked if I could see the car in person...

"Hi,

The car is already at a shipping company in Stonington, CT. I took the car to them to be able to ship it to a potential buyer whilst I'm out of town.My brother in law works there,and he promised me that it will cost me nothing to ship it in the Continental US. I also have the car listed on eBay and that lets me use their secured system. I'm very busy with my job and I'm sorry I can't meet you in person. According to eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
So please let me know if you are interested so i can give you the directions to the ebay site so you can check the auction.

Laura"

Again saying I'd go see the car, and wasn't sure how it could be "sealed", I got this feedback:

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but the car is already at the shipping company in Stonington sealed and ready for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Thank you"

and lastly when I asked why the ad was removed from the Boston Craigslist as it was posted yesterday, I get this response:

"I dont know why it was removed."

All exact quotes of the emails the person sent back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
bitz
Jon

You can see how people that aren't computer savy could fall hook line and sinker.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobinson
I've been in contact with the fraudulant person
That is so good. Tell me you are screwing with him/her.

B
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
ultimatespine
abe
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobinson
I've been in contact with the fraudulant person, asking them questions and toying with them. They've been using this email address:

lorenafisher80@yahoo.com

Here's some of the fun stuff they sent to me.

"Hi,
The car is still for sale.It is in perfect shape.It has no scratches,dents and it was never involved in an accident or something like that.You can check the carfax yourself,the VIN is SALDV2284RA943803.It has 76500 miles.Here are some more pics http://photobucket.com/Laura_Becks The title is clear and on my name.I am forced by a bank loan to sell it so I need the money and I must do that.Don't worry,the loan does not involve the car.
My final price is $5400.I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out.I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.
Thank you.P.S.If you are decided to buy it,i will make a private auction just for you on eBay so you can purchase it there.That way you will receive assistance for the purchase,paperwork,title transfer and an extended warranty.They also are guaranteeing purchases up to 50.000 so we will both be protected.
Laura Becks"

And after I asked if I could see the car in person...

"Hi,

The car is already at a shipping company in Stonington, CT. I took the car to them to be able to ship it to a potential buyer whilst I'm out of town.My brother in law works there,and he promised me that it will cost me nothing to ship it in the Continental US. I also have the car listed on eBay and that lets me use their secured system. I'm very busy with my job and I'm sorry I can't meet you in person. According to eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
So please let me know if you are interested so i can give you the directions to the ebay site so you can check the auction.

Laura"

Again saying I'd go see the car, and wasn't sure how it could be "sealed", I got this feedback:

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but the car is already at the shipping company in Stonington sealed and ready for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Thank you"

and lastly when I asked why the ad was removed from the Boston Craigslist as it was posted yesterday, I get this response:

"I dont know why it was removed."

All exact quotes of the emails the person sent back to me.
lol, i received the exact emails. you know what they say: if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
And so it begins. Took it down to Richmond yesterday (100 mile drive) to visit folks with 7 year-old daughter to visit family. On way back up lose 5th gear on I-95, run it in 4th to next exit, where it promptly refused to go into any gear (was hoping it was clutch, but no, of course the transmission is shot).

Lots of fun. Why I figured my truck would be able to make it 200 miles without falling apart is beyond me.
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Who did the diagnosis on it and where is it? Don't know what I could do to help, but am happy to do what I can.
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_and_Blue
Lots of fun. Why I figured my truck would be able to make it 200 miles without falling apart is beyond me.
Especially from a second time owner! I'd have thought you would have realized to have ketp driving in 4th until you *had* to stop. Seriously, what happened to it? Run dry? Didn't think they could really fail catastrophically otherwise.

On the bright side, think how boring the trip would have been otherwise

charles
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

TDI guy has your transmission for $475.

Sounds like the 5th reverse shaft fractured. That happens.

Ron
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
bitz
Jon

Sorry to hear that Tommy. That tranny is brand new from the dealer, only had about 20-30K on it. I'm going to call them today and see if there was any warranty on it.

Follow-up Post:

Just talked to the Dealer. It was put in at 205K so it only had 13K on it, but it only has a year warranty and it's already past. I'll help any way I can. Let me know.
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
And the hits just keep on coming. The ECM is rotten, got moisture in it, turns out there's a leak and a nice hole in between the dash and engine. Love these trucks. Posted in the 'wanted' section, but if anyone has any leads on one I'd love to know (rather than pay $1300 for a rebuilt one). Thanks, TM
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Get one out of a OBD1 Disco, works fine and is MUCH cheaper.
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Check this thread over in the help section. Guy is looking to get rid of what the dealership said is a bad ECU, but may still be good.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17847
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Tommy, I know what will make it all better. Happy Hour!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=happy+hour

Bring your junk we we can see it.

charles
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
First it needs to go more than 10 miles without falling apart ...

So would this work? From a 96 Disco -- called Atlantic British and since it's a different part number (between Disco and Defender) they don't know if it will work. Please please please tell me this will do trick so I can put the 1k spread into the fix-something-else fund:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318
Old January 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
bitz
Jon

Safari Rover has a defender ecu for $125 shipped
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4056
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_and_Blue

So would this work? From a 96 Disco
I don't think so, but I think that this one would:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRC96...Q5fAccessories

My old '94 was running one from a '95 disco, but I think that '96 was the transition year to obd2 with the 4.0. I'm sure someone will chime in, though. the '95 disco ecu worked for several years until I sold the truck (and I'm sure it's still there!)
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
Thanks Man. Some day I hope to meet you guys in person.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Easy enough -- Sunday at my place we're going to try to get the 110 operational!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1994, 90, 95, d90, soft top