1994 D90 -54,000 miles- salvage title - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mowabb
John
94 D90

1994 D90 -54,000 miles- salvage title

I bought this rig a little over a year ago from a forum member for my son's first car. I knew it was going to involve some maintenance and work, but it is proving to be too much for a daily driver. His commute to school will be even longer next year. So, between the maintenance and gas mileage we have decided it has to go. This has been a tough decision on my son and me. I hope someone here will pick it up and finish up the work she needs.

Here are some of the details:

54,000 original miles - Carfax checks out
Salvage title
Warn 9000i Winch -
Full Borla cat-back exhaust
Air conditioning - Works great and blows cold - missing one vent
ARB bumper - slightly bent, new signal lights
Outlast seats, w/ inflatable lumbar supports - repairable rips
Swing away rear jump seats in Outlast w/ inertia reels - ripped as well
Badger top (repaired)
Roof Rack
Dual Batteries w/ painless battery management system
Tuffy center consol
JVC head unit w/ Alpine speakers
Absolutely no chassis rust, door bottoms, bulkhead corners perfect
Evidence of a previous repair in the driver side quarter
Poly Bushed, Old Man Emu suspension

Items fixed/replaced since purchased:

Top repaired
Starter
Clutch
Master seals
Thermostat
Water pump
Coil
Spark plug wires
Steering column lock/key
PROM chip
Air Conditioning charged and repaired

Extra parts included:

Left and right rear tubs
Left and right rocker panels
New left wing panel
Rear taillights and guards

I am asking $18,000 to start.

Pictures here:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...LiYlcSLPUPD8Vo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

what happened to the truck?! but man i wish i had the money. goodluck with the sale!
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Mowabb
John
94 D90

It was stolen. From what I can tell it looks like they took a baseball bat to the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

ouch thats awful! but its not to bad of a price it sounds like a nice truck!
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Very tempting. It's the same year, color and body style as the one I sold a couple years ago (and have since come to regret.)

Just need to convince myself (and my wife) that I want to take-on another restoration project.

Question- is the bonnet damaged? Couldn't tell from the photos.

Thanks,
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

One more thing- location?
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Mowabb
John
94 D90

The bonnet does have a little damage, but it faired the best of the major body parts.

I am in North Salt Lake, Utah.
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowabb View Post
Items fixed/replaced since purchased:

Top repaired
Starter
Clutch
Master seals
Thermostat
Water pump
Coil
Spark plug wires
Steering column lock/key
PROM chip
Air Conditioning charged and repaired
These are pretty standard repairs for a car of that vintage and most of those are pretty cheap - what are you going to replace it with? Unless it's a purely gas-conscious decision to replace with something that gets 3-4 times the mileage, you can already see from what you're asking for it over what you bought it for last year, that whatever you replace it with will not comparatively retain its value. The truck will continue to need little bits of maintenance here and there, but I feel like the lessons it teaches your son in terms of critical problem solving, self reliance, and responsibility are invaluable. He'll likely treat this D90 with more respect than anything it will be replaced with. I know you said you two have already had the sit-down on this, but I'm just relaying some of the things I brought up in a similar argument with my parents when I was his age, as I had to justify something similar. Especially at his age, you want him behind something he respects and appreciates, as it translates into a safer, more educated, and more aware driver.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Mowabb
John
94 D90

Great points. This has not been an easy decision. Unfortunately we don't have the time or knowledge to make most of these repairs ourselves. At the asking price I am still losing on the deal.
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
These are pretty standard repairs for a car of that vintage and most of those are pretty cheap - what are you going to replace it with? Unless it's a purely gas-conscious decision to replace with something that gets 3-4 times the mileage, you can already see from what you're asking for it over what you bought it for last year, that whatever you replace it with will not comparatively retain its value. The truck will continue to need little bits of maintenance here and there, but I feel like the lessons it teaches your son in terms of critical problem solving, self reliance, and responsibility are invaluable. He'll likely treat this D90 with more respect than anything it will be replaced with. I know you said you two have already had the sit-down on this, but I'm just relaying some of the things I brought up in a similar argument with my parents when I was his age, as I had to justify something similar. Especially at his age, you want him behind something he respects and appreciates, as it translates into a safer, more educated, and more aware driver.
Josh, you could be congressman or a Lawyer, very well written. My boys will be driving 90's. But, they will be mine, as I am a horder. I think of them as safe, slow and they stick out like a sore thumb.

Old August 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

my mom was happy at first when i told her that i was buying a 90 that has a NA diesel.....then she started to hate it when she would walk in the garage and stub her toe on the tranny laying next to it.

------ Follow up post added August 5th, 2012 09:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
HA! He just pulled out the speech he gave to his parents on his justification for getting him a car that no teenager should be driving!

So Rij, I take it you didn't buy your first car.

-Jeff
jeff, i was 17 when i bought my 90 whats wrong with the teenager driving one? i bought it with my own money.
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I was actually making money from about the 3rd grade doing something you'd never believe. hahaha no I'm not saying what it was, as it's way too much ammo here...but it was legal, and I got to travel across the Atlantic a few times for it, too. I'm not sure it's a good thing to let your imagination soar here - hahaha. The rest came from money my father helped me invest when I was a little kid when a few thousand was left behind for me when my grandparents died.

A D90 really is one of the best cars I could think of for a teenager/college-bound. With the stick he probably (hopefully) won't be texting while driving, it's too damn loud to carry on a conversation on the phone, the close quarters makes it impossible for any sort of extracurricular romance, it's so open there's nowhere to hide beer (oh wait, maybe in the seatbox now that I think about it), plus just looking at it makes you want to get out of the house and out from in front of the Xbox/TV/computer and do something fun or athletic!
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowabb View Post
It was stolen. From what I can tell it looks like they took a baseball bat to the body.
I thought this truck was the one that the wife/finace/girlfriend took a hammer to? Didn't think it was stolen. I was thinking of buying it for a trail truck at the time.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Mowabb
John
94 D90

Sold

Thanks to all of you for the advice and interest in the rig. It has been sold. I have a knot in my stomach now... Something tells me I may be back sometime down the road.

Thanks again!
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Because I'm nosey...to whom and for how much? (If I didn't ask, Josh was sure to!).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Mowabb
John
94 D90

A local guy very close to the offer price.
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

sell it and buy a new car with modern safety equipment. this your child. when he graduates and is independent financially and grown emotionally, its his decision to drive something as relatively unsafe as this....

... not to mention the advantages of driving something that actually works. a rover product isnt a product for someone with only one car.
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Rock Ridge, that's awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
1994, 90, d90