1991 300GE Gelaendewagen LWB 5spd - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old July 31st, 2006, 01:23 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

1991 300GE Gelaendewagen LWB 5spd

I have recently come to realize that I can not own any other vehicle other than a Land Rover Defender. It seems when I am driving something else I wish I was in my Defender (even though mine currently is not running). So therefore I am going to sell my Gwagen. It is a really nice truck, but I guess it is a little too comfortable for me, too quite, or too NOT a defender. It is currently listed on eBay. Reserve is $25k. Thanks for the space.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270013433389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2006, 01:41 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
I have recently come to realize that I can not own any other vehicle other than a Land Rover Defender. It seems when I am driving something else I wish I was in my Defender (even though mine currently is not running). So therefore I am going to sell my Gwagen. It is a really nice truck, but I guess it is a little too comfortable for me, too quite, or too NOT a defender. It is currently listed on eBay. Reserve is $25k. Thanks for the space.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270013433389
I too own both a Mercedes G and a D. If anyone is curious about the advantages of a D versus a G, it comes down to only a couple of things. The G is generally the better built/engineered of the two. Broken axles, steering, or other drive components are nearly unheard of. The engines in the older models last extremely well. The mercedes diesel is legendary, and the gas engined 280 is close behind. The 320 gas engine is a most excellent 6 cylinder with loads of torque for its size. The modern v8's have much gusto as well. More recent engines have been outstanding as well, though the late 1990's and early 2000-2004 models have had serious eletronic gremlins that have nearly ruined the vehicle's reputation. In repairing my old diesel G, the closest I could get to the original stock driveshaft strength (without paying the $2k for an OEM solution) were components from a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. This for a truck with 50% of the engine power and 2/3 of the overall weight.

The downside for the offroad enthusiast are the limited ability to modify the vehicle, and the very low rocker panels. Both conspire to make it awkward as a rock-crawler. If the more extreme trails are your thing, this may not be your vehicle.That said, on some of the more extreme trails that I've had both vehicles on the G was more solid feeling and I worried less about breaking something (but worried more about a rollover.)

Final downside on the G - nothing rates as high on the cool factor scale as the D.

For someone with money to spend on a toy, you can't beat the G for day-to-day driveability, off-road capability, dependability, and durability. The truck was built to military standards and was intended to do 1 million miles of military usage.

Good luck getting her sold. Must have been a difficult decision.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:06 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

The Gwagen does seem to be built really well. Even with the mileage this truck has on it, it is drives as thought it just came of the showroom floor. Considering that they are designed to go a million miles, I guess it is just barely broke in at 126k. And the a/c works way better than in my D90.

But when I walk outside and look in my driveway and see my D90 with the full external roll cage, Shrockworks deluxe tire carrier with Jerry-can and hi-lift holders, Safari Gard bump/skid plate, mantec rock sliders, etc.... sitting on top of 35" Super Swapers SSR's....Galvanized chassis, galvanized bulkhead, powered by my brand new 300tdi (allard phase 2 intercooler....tweaked), I just can't seem to even see the Gwagen. My brain seems to tune it out. Every single time I look at or drive my defender I think damn this is nice....no so with the Gwagen. Plus and please don't take this the wrong way, but I have never ever had anyone walk up to me in my defender and say "my buddy has one of those sitting on 24" rims" .

Follow-up Post:

Sorry for getting off topic, this is the for sale section. But as you can see I really like my D90...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
The Gwagen does seem to be built really well. Even with the mileage this truck has on it, it is drives as thought it just came of the showroom floor. Considering that they are designed to go a million miles, I guess it is just barely broke in at 126k. And the a/c works way better than in my D90.

But when I walk outside and look in my driveway and see my D90 with the full external roll cage, Shrockworks deluxe tire carrier with Jerry-can and hi-lift holders, Safari Gard bump/skid plate, mantec rock sliders, etc.... sitting on top of 35" Super Swapers SSR's....Galvanized chassis, galvanized bulkhead, powered by my brand new 300tdi (allard phase 2 intercooler....tweaked), I just can't seem to even see the Gwagen. My brain seems to tune it out. Every single time I look at or drive my defender I think damn this is nice....no so with the Gwagen. Plus and please don't take this the wrong way, but I have never ever had anyone walk up to me in my defender and say "my buddy has one of those sitting on 24" rims" .

Follow-up Post:

Sorry for getting off topic, this is the for sale section. But as you can see I really like my D90...
Same phenomenon is happening at my house. It's like comparing (insert name of favorite female idol here) and June Cleaver. June is probably the more competent and gets the job done with very little fuss, but I'd rather drive around with (whomever).

BT

Follow-up Post:

By the way, for the G, the two best online clubs are BenzWorld.org's G-series forum and ClubGWagen.com

Have you listed the truck there? The Benzworld forum is full to the brim with some very good and knowledgable people.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

what is amazing about the G is that a comparable RRC would be 1/10th the cost.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

only a Range Rover is not really apples and apples comparision, but I understand your point
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

jeromy did you buy Chris Cox's 90?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

yes I did, and because of Hurricane Rita I have not touched it...I am dying to get started on it and honestly Chris did not really know completely what he was doing putting the truck together so I am going to have to take it apart more just to put it back together right. Not that the for sale section is the place to talk about this, but Chris Cox also shafted me out of a whole bunch of the parts that where supposed to go with the truck. So I am shy quiet a few part here and there to get it going. But I still got a really good deal on it. When I finally get it together I will have an awesome truck.
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

Back on ebay, lower reserve....$24,500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270020651990

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
lwb