1987 Land Rover Defender 90 (Ninety)
61k original miles, Minimal rust, Awesome list of upgrades. Right hand Drive. Clear CO title in my possession.
Legally imported from Britain earlier this year by me. I received it in Philadelphia, and drove it home. I have driven all kinds of exotic and rare vehicles, this one gets the most attention of anything, and all of it is positive. No one thinks you're a pretentious windbag in a Defender, they think you are way cooler than you actually are.
I was less than thrilled with the power on that trip, so once back here, I removed the original 3.5L V8, and installed a 4.0L from a 2002 Discovery. At the same time, I installed a crower torque cam, new clutch, new distributor, new water pump, all new plumbing (fuel, vacuum, cooling), etc. If it needed it, or might need it in the foreseeable future, I did it. Now drives 70mph on the freeway with ease.
Has an R380 5 speed manual gearbox, LT 230 Transfer Box with 1.2 ratios. Interior is excellent (including new seats). Paint job is, in my mind, what a Rover should be, but if you're someone who likes to wax and polish, this ain't your beast.
I have receipts for almost $30k US spent by the previous owners outfitting the truck for a round-the-world trip that never happened.
Here's a very partial list:
- BFG 32" A/T tires (near new, I put these on here) on 15" aluminum rims
- QT 3 degree castor corrected radius/ trailing arms
- Complete polybushes throughout suspension
- QT HD steering bars and HD adjustable panhard rod
- QT Diff Guard/ Tank guard/ Checker plate on all horizontal body panels
- Superwinch EPi9.5 w/ Poly Bowrope
- 4 Lightforce 170 Striker lights
- Safari Snorkel
- Twin Batteries
- 300TDI 100 Amp alternator
- Old Man Emu Front and Rear shocks (comfort), Steering Damper
- Old Man Emu Heavy Load Rear Springs
- Patriot 2.0M aluminum Roof Rack
- Rugged Trail rear wheel carrier
- Minor (and I mean minor!) rust on rear crossmember,
- Left hand door bottom rust. Minimal on RH door, practically none on bulkhead/ footwells.
- Worn spare tire
- Leaking power steering unit. Fill it up and ignore it for a month, I could not find the motivation to dig in and fix it.
The truck runs and drives well. I have put about 800 miles on it since the engine swap, and aside from a now fixed short in the fuel pump, enjoyed it greatly. However, my G/F hates it, and I am working on a real estate deal where the cash would help, so here it is for sale. The only thing pictured, but not included in the sale, is the roof tent. You will get shovel, hi-lift jack, jerrycans, etc.
I'm a licensed dealer in CO, this will be sold from my dealership, but this has been my personal pet project. You will pay sales tax if in state, get a 60 day temp tag, but no fees of any kind- the price is the price.
If you are buying the truck long distance, I'm happy to take a massive number of pics, deliver to a mechanic for an independent appraisal, whatever will help you make a decision.
If you're buying it locally, you should just come look at it/ drive it. But be prepared to fall in love.
Yes, there are cheaper Defenders. But, the parts on this one are worth looking at, as are the low miles, as is the recent overhaul.
Email is best for contact, send me your phone number and a time to call and I will do so.
Some pics here